Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines

The Gearbox Software Community Website has the news that Aliens: Colonial Marines is gold for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, saying the first-person shooter will launch for all three platforms on February 12th. Here's the announcement:

Exciting news -- Aliens: Colonial Marines has gone gold on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360!

When we first announced the release date for Aliens: Colonial Marines back in May 2012, Gearbox Software CEO Randy Pitchford noted that the development had progressed to the point where we could see the end and be very confident in both our vision for the game as well as our launch date.

Today, were proud to announce that we hit every one of those targets, with the game's gold status indicating that all parties have examined the release candidate and signed off on the code as final and suitable for manufacturing, after which the game will be shipped to retail and propped to digital networks in time for launch on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 come February 12, 2013!

Now's the time to make sure you've got your pre-order locked in as participating retailers are offering in-game bonus content -- check with your local retailers and visit this page for more details.

Stay frosty, the next chapter in the Aliens story is almost here. Will you be able to fight the fear?

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 17, 2013, 07:35 Armengar

probably get it in a sale if it is any good. Otherwise i'll play natural selection 2 instead.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 17, 2013, 04:45 InBlack

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 19:31:
I have never seen an Alien game where the Aliens looked so slow and hilariously non dangerous.

They move so incredibly slow.. in AVP1 with a good jump you could make huge distances.. doesn't seem like they really balanced the Aliens to be deadly predators. Aliens in Alien: CM look like gimped cats on sleep drugs.

Also, doesn't help the death scream sounds nearly exactly like the WoW boar deaths. You murder so many of them in WoW that even I, who only played that for a few months, instantly drew that connection.. can't unhear it.

FUCK! THAT! SHIT! the main reasons the aliens are scary is because they are lightning fast. Do you hear that Randy up-your-ass Pitchfork!

What a fucking copout...

I have a nifty blue line!

31. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 17, 2013, 03:43 durandal

Gameplay trailer so far is... really meh.
I love the franchise and I love the concept of the game, but it really felt bland, and I got the feeling that the critics score for the game will be around 70/100; good but not great, a game you encounter nothing spectacular till the end, a game you will forget after finishes its story once or twice, a game you will regret buying it at full price.

Come to think of it, I have never been a fan of Gearbox's games. The gunplay aspect of their FPS feels really weak to me. Shooting guns in their games feels more like "Player dealt 134 damage to a kobold!" with cool animation, than actually "shooting". I'm not talking only about borderlands, but BiA games and DNF (OK, it may not be fair in that case.) also.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2013, 03:57.

30. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 17, 2013, 03:36 Muscular Beaver

You know its a shitty console game, when people dont need to mind hitting their teammates in coop.
Never seen a more boring game in this franchise.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

29. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 17, 2013, 01:43 Fantaz

Quinn wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 22:14:
Reason for ridiculously slow aliens that need an entire clip to die = console (controllers). Needn't say more.

You're thinking about Gears of Wars? The game that every console shooter made after that was ever modeled after?

28. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 22:19 eRe4s3r

Gimped with a controller that's like saying cats won a fight against miniature poodles with KO drugs mixed in zeh food.

AVP 1 was twice as fast and 10 times as deadly. And that is why AVP 1 was the only decent game in this franchise. Aliens (especially in MP) were deadly... but it only took a few gracing hits to explode them (which by the way, they somehow completely forgot in this new game here, Aliens just roll over and bleed? Did no one at gearbox watch the movies? )

I guess we'll see once the reviews pop up, no doubt tomorrow

27. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 22:14 Quinn

Reason for ridiculously slow aliens that need an entire clip to die = console (controllers). Needn't say more.

Happy that this is only a Marine campaign btw. The 3 campaigns in the AVP games made sure none of the stories were engaging, and you felt like all you could do was run and gun. Granted, the Predator was more interesting. Other than that, there was no reason not to just run to the end of the level asap, feeling miserable, without purpose and uninspired to explore.

Hilarious thing in A:CM is how the marine lifts up his weapon every time he's performing a special action like talking through his mic. Like he somehow knows there won't be any danger around the corner. Ironically, that's exactly the guarantee the player gets.
This game won't be scary.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

26. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 21:38 Dades

The trailers look good but trailers can be really deceptive, I'll wait to see what you guys think of it.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

25. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 21:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

Thus the countdown begins, to a 9.99 Steam sale.

24. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 20:38 |RaptoR|

played it at pax three times. aliens are not slow or helpless lol marines won maybe once the entire convention  

23. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 20:27 SlimRam

Damn me and my love for this franchise! I can only pray that the game has online coop play so I can be "totally badass" like Hudson and scream, "Come on motherfucker! Oh YOU want some TO!!" into my headset while blasting the bejesus out of some aliens ASS! I....I...*clamping my hand over my mouth to stop the words*...Oh DAMMIT I even liked the fucking AVP movies too!!! I'm such a hopeless fanboy, screams "Just shut up and take my god damn MONEY Gearbox!" *Reaches for his wallet and then starts hitting my hand with a hammer to try and stop myself* AHhhhhhhhOOohhhhh  

Slightly Off Movie Quotes:

Han Solo: Still, she's got a lot of spirit. I don't know, whaddya think? You think a princess and a guy like me...

Luke: No. If ANYONE is nailing my sister, it's going to be ME!

22. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 20:03 PropheT

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 16:50:
I dunno about his one, I'll definatly have a wait and see approach. The one single aspect of AvP that I really liked was the COOP survival mode of the original. That one map where it started out all nice and litup but got darker and darker as the lights all got blown out by your fire, damn good nerve racking fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIjAx20AUcA

... just doesnt feel the same.

I think it's a little unfair to judge it based on footage that's almost a year before the game releases...even then I don't think it looks bad anyway.

I'm looking forward to it, even it if it's only an average game. It's nice they're not doing anything with predators in it... I love Alien/Aliens, and even the Predator movies, but AvP was always just a fanboy circle jerk of a franchise on the level of Freddy Vs. Jason. AvP misses the point of what makes both movies great, in my mind, and just turns it into another monster story.

21. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 19:31 eRe4s3r

I have never seen an Alien game where the Aliens looked so slow and hilariously non dangerous.

They move so incredibly slow.. in AVP1 with a good jump you could make huge distances.. doesn't seem like they really balanced the Aliens to be deadly predators. Aliens in Alien: CM look like gimped cats on sleep drugs.

Also, doesn't help the death scream sounds nearly exactly like the WoW boar deaths. You murder so many of them in WoW that even I, who only played that for a few months, instantly drew that connection.. can't unhear it.

20. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 19:21 Ant

wtf_man wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 15:10:
I will wait for reviews, but I don't have real high hopes for this one.

Who knows, maybe it will be a pleasant surprise and not suffer from mass console-itis.
Playable demo(nstration) please.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

19. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 18:33 Yosemite Sam

DangerDog wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 17:51:
I dunno about his one, I'll definatly have a wait and see approach. The one single aspect of AvP that I really liked was the COOP survival mode of the original. That one map where it started out all nice and litup but got darker and darker as the lights all got blown out by your fire, damn good nerve racking fun.

I suppose they don't have the marines saying anything because it gets repetitive and obstructs your ability to hear other players over voice but that really felt lifeless, not even any death screams? The few sounds you do hear are so faint it's hardly noticeable. The pulse rifle sounded like they recorded it in a bathroom. Video is from last April but until they show some actual gameplay from their "gold" release - that doesn't look so hot.

The official trailer sure makes it seem really good, but that actual gameplay I posted, not so much, for me the aliens movement\look just seems off somehow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEscCzVvrUs

Even seems to hint that you have time to setup a defensive position, turrets, welding doors shut, which would be awsome.... and 4 player coop campaign too. I'm crossing my fingers.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

18. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 17:51 DangerDog

I suppose they don't have the marines saying anything because it gets repetitive and obstructs your ability to hear other players over voice but that really felt lifeless, not even any death screams? The few sounds you do hear are so faint it's hardly noticeable. The pulse rifle sounded like they recorded it in a bathroom. Video is from last April but until they show some actual gameplay from their "gold" release - that doesn't look so hot.

17. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 17:45 Wallshadows

The problem I've had with the AVP games is that they're in a self-contained universe which has zero outcome. While I can certainly appreciate Rebellion and Monolith for giving us these modern AVP games (even AVP3), it never felt like there was any start or finish to the story with each new title. It always boiled down to what was essentially a copy and paste from the previous title rather than expand upon it and deliver a much larger experience to the point where the movies for AVP and AVP:R had more of a story arch than any of the AVP games.

At least with an Alien-centric experience, you can pin down its location in the story and get a sense of progression to help bridge the gap which is what CM is allegedly going to do. It'll give you the opportunity to play through events which are at least tied in to something much larger rather than play what felt like an anthology.

There's nothing wrong with AVP (with the exception of the movies), it just never felt like your actions had consequence or that any of it really mattered given the separate layout of each title. It felt more like Rebellion and Monolith were trying to see who had the biggest dick with their 'origins' vision rather than make an intricate, interconnected series.

It's up to Gearbox to fulfill their word and make CM stand on its own without the assistance of a Predator while also satisfying the Alien fans prior to Resurrection and that's a tough feat to perform.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2013, 17:51.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

16. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 17:43 Fantaz

TheDevilYouKnow wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 17:02:
Hear my words...No Map Editor = No Bueno .

I do not care how great this game looks or plays...guys and gals if they don't release a map editor it'll never be as fun as it could be.

And they will take your $59.99 and turn around and charge you for more DLC that should be free and or included in the game to start with.

Hold on to your hard earned cash for a little while and just wait and see.

You may be right... Aliens Vs. Predator games had some of the biggest modding communities.

Release an SDK, damnit!

15. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 17:21 MajorD

It's probably just me, but I was looking forward to this when first announced, from some of the first trailers and screenshots, but the more I saw of it over the past several months, the less interested I became. There just seemed to be more and more hints of consolization over the time period. /shrug.....

It's on my Amazon-One-Year-Later-Purchase-List, so I'll pick it up then for under $15.00 or so.

14. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 17:02 TheDevilYouKnow

Hear my words...No Map Editor = No Bueno .

I do not care how great this game looks or plays...guys and gals if they don't release a map editor it'll never be as fun as it could be.

And they will take your $59.99 and turn around and charge you for more DLC that should be free and or included in the game to start with.

Hold on to your hard earned cash for a little while and just wait and see.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo