Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout TV Series?

The United States Patent & Trademark Office Database has a Service Mark application filed last week by Bethesda Softworks for "Fallout," with the following explanation: "Entertainment services in the nature of an on-going television program set in a post-nuclear apocalyptic world." This may explain the recent tease by the voice actor who plays Three Dog saying "There may be more of the Dog coming!" Or it may be something else. Or nothing. Thanks Ausir via The Vault.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 17, 2013, 10:24 Verno

Falling Skies is one of the most average and annoying shows on television. It is one of those shows you watch and keep hoping that it will turn into something else but it just continually lets you down. It had a lot of promise but quickly devolved into plot continuity issues, family drama and dumb shit like characters keeping secrets for the sake of the plot.

Jeremiah on the other hand is one of those shows you feel like you should hate but it somehow works in spite of itself.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 17, 2013, 08:04 InBlack

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 16:12:
Have any of you guys ever watched Jeremiah or Falling Skies? In both of those shows they travel a lot from one area to another among decaying ruins of the city and so on. Jeremiah I honestly think is the closest TV show so far to Fallout as it had similar plots such as a vault-esque area "thunder mountain" and factions like the valhalla sector that were sort like the enclave.

Creating a fallout style/post-apocalyptic show is all about the atmosphere of the sets. That can be done on a TV show budget, as I mentioned with Jeremiah.

Havent seen Jeremiah but Falling skies is fucking turd. Though thats mostly to do with the horrible acting/dialogue/story and not really with the sets. Didnt it get cancelled?

I have a nifty blue line!

32. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 17, 2013, 00:49 dj LiTh

eunichron wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 19:37:
dj LiTh wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 18:53:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 18:10:
You could always put Fallout stories outside the US territories though. I would love to see Fallout Europe, Fallout Russia, Fallout China etc. I am actually baffled they didn't expand on the backstory in Fallout 3 and NV.. it's just been stagnating.

Or maybe inside the vault-tech bunkers.

Fallout: russia.....cough: :-metro2033-: :cough

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was the first thing to pop into my head at that thought.

I never got around to that series, good call though

31. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 21:05 Riker

Dang, this is like my dream project. Mind you, having no experience in television production or writing is a problem. Here's hoping it kicks ass.  

30. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 21:04 Orphic Resonance

You could always put Fallout stories outside the US territories though. I would love to see Fallout Europe, Fallout Russia, Fallout China etc. I am actually baffled they didn't expand on the backstory in Fallout 3 and NV.. it's just been stagnating.

Fallout Japan, dude...

Japan..

its even topical and all that

29. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 21:04 Orphic Resonance

Have any of you guys ever watched Jeremiah

i wanted to hate that show, but its actually pretty good... you gotta be able to get over Luke Perry and Cosby Show Theo as the lead characters, which took me a while

but i dont really see "Fallout" there.. the show is entirely realistic, no sci-fi, no mutants, not much humor

its more like a family version of "The Road"

btw the whole thing is on hulu:
http://www.hulu.com/jeremiah

28. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 19:55 Krizzen

God, you can really trademark something as plain as this?

That's what they're trademarking. WTF?

InB4 flames: Yes, I know they're trademarking it for the name of a potential TV series, but the plainness of the the "mark" is laughably ridiculous.

27. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 19:42 Fibrocyte

Verno wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 14:42:
Techie714 wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 14:19:
YES!! I'm already a fan of "Nuka-Cola Break" but I would love to see a dark, serious, & violent Fallout series on the scale of Walking Dead TV show. I doubt though it would appeal to a massive audience, their are only so many people that spend their free time reading the Fallout Wiki for fun...like me...lol.

One thing is for sure though, were going to see some kind of Fallout news this year most likely....

I don't think they could really do it without a totally insane budget though. I don't want something like Fallout confined to the small sets and cheap location shoots I see on TWD. Book of Eli had its problems but they sure nailed the sets and design of a Fallout-ish world, unfortunately the movie cost a literal fortune.

But hey you never know, CGI can do wonders. I didn't think anyone could do Game of Thrones but that show has some amazing CGI in place of the larger areas that aren't feasible.

I think a huge part of the enjoyment is putting yourself in as a character though so I don't see a show really working in a way the fans of the games would like.

I agree regarding GoT. However, the dire wolves in season 1 were very disappointing. They were siberian huskies and cuddly-looking ones at that.

26. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 19:37 eunichron

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 18:53:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was the first thing to pop into my head at that thought.

25. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 18:53 dj LiTh

24. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 18:10 eRe4s3r

23. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 17:58 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 15:39:
...I'll just refer you back to all the angst over FO3: "IT'S NOT FALLOUT!!!!!"

IT WASN'T FALLOUT!!!! IT WAS OBLIVION WITH GUNS!!!!!!!!!!! WHAAAARGABL!

Sorry, it just had to be done.

A TV series could be done, and done well, however there are far too many post-apocalyptic shows on now. I think we've reached the saturation point with them to the point where the average viewer will not watch it simply because it is yet another Jericho/Jeremiah/Falling Skies/Revolution/The Walking Dead to them.

Now a Fallout movie could be awesome. You could do a movie about the days leading up the attempted assasination of Courier 6 or you could do week in the life of one of Paladin Ryczek's recruits. It's a very rich universe that, I think, is better suited to a large screen experience.

22. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 17:16 dj LiTh

I'll take this and 10 more games in the series thank you very much.  

21. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 17:16 Bhruic

My concern is less about can they do it, and more about what would they do? Unlike stuff like Game of Thrones, there's no plot they can steal from the source material. I don't have a lot of faith in most TV these days when it comes to good storylines. Just being in the "Fallout" world wouldn't make for good TV if the story sucked.  

20. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 16:31 Creston

Have any of you guys ever watched Jeremiah or Falling Skies? In both of those shows they travel a lot from one area to another among decaying ruins of the city and so on. Jeremiah I honestly think is the closest TV show so far to Fallout as it had similar plots such as a vault-esque area "thunder mountain" and factions like the valhalla sector that were sort like the enclave.

Creating a fallout style/post-apocalyptic show is all about the atmosphere of the sets. That can be done on a TV show budget, as I mentioned with Jeremiah.

I will admit I have seen neither show, so I will gladly take your word for it (that it can be done,) but I hope you'll forgive me if I remain a tad skeptical.

Creston

19. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 16:12 TheEmissary

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2013, 16:20.

18. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 15:39 Verno

eunichron wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 15:20:
Yeah, speaking of costs they pulled it off with that time travel dinosaur show on FOX or whatever (the really shitty one that had an insane budget). A Fallout TV show would not require nearly that amount of CGI to be believable.

Terra Nova, haha oh man. They spent 50mil on the pilot alone. They sorta got away with it by having most of the stuff occur on the same set and limiting the CGI pretty severely after the pilot. Something like a true Fallout would mean travel in my mind and require a lot more.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

17. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 15:39 Creston

TheEmissary wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 15:17:
A Fallout or a post-apocalyptic show shouldn't really cost any more money than it would to make say a western. The show Nuka-Cola Break is able to approximate the feel of Fallout all-be-it in a slightly camp way on a shoe-string budget. Then you have shows that cover similar topics like the Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Jeremiah, and Jericho. Fallout doesn't really need huge amounts of FX however they need interesting sets. You don't necessarily need to raid a vault or fire a plasma rifle every episode.

I don't think the costs are going to be that outrageous and the established fanbase will mean it pretty much won't flop immediately.

I'm afraid everyone who keeps saying "Well, Nuka-Cola looks fine!" is just turning up the rose-tinted-glasses factor to 15. Yes, it looks fine for a webisode made by some amateurs, and even then it uses a lot of obfuscation to hide the most deliberate bad parts. And we all like it, because, well, it's funny, and it's about fallout, and damn that chick really is kinda cute.

A TV show couldn't get away with this. I doubt many people would watch Nuka-Break if it was brought to you with advertisements and was on FOX or ABC.

It's interesting that you mention the Walking Dead, because TWD had VERY high production costs per episode (to the tune of 5+ million dollars per.) They cut its budget drastically in season 2, leading to the wonderful season where everyone just hangs around that fucking farm for the whole summer.

Fallout is a post-nuclear world, not a western. So unless you want Fallout to LOOK like a western (and they just shoot it in the desert), they're going to need to come up with the wasteland, and obliterated buildings, and they'll need a town of survivors, and eventually a vault, or at least an obliterated city, etc.

It's going to cost money if it's going to look right. And if it doesn't look (or feel) right, if it's not Fallout, then that massive fanbase isn't going to watch it. If you need evidence for that, I'll just refer you back to all the angst over FO3: "IT'S NOT FALLOUT!!!!!"

Creston

16. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 15:35 Cabezone

It needs to at least be on cable...if it's on broadcast TV it will get to watered down.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

15. Re: Fallout TV Series? Jan 16, 2013, 15:32 El Pit

I'd rather have MORE FALLOUT GAMES!!! I've just put about 100 hours into Fallout: New Vegas and have finished about 50% of the main game and about 30% of one of the DLCs. I'm quite addicted! Great game, better than the very good FO3. And the $10 for the Ultimate Edition I paid more than a year ago were well invested.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo