Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Civilization V One World Expansion Clues

The Steam Apps Database lists a couple of entries in the Steam database for One World, which is listed as an expansion for Civilization V. This suggests, but does not confirm the possibility of an upcoming add-on for the turn-based strategy sequel. GameSpy asked Firaxis/2K for comment and were told "we do not comment on rumors or speculation." Thanks PC Gamer/Joystiq.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Civilization V One World Expansion Clues Jan 16, 2013, 17:46 Ray Ban

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 16:04:
Verno wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 15:36:
They did a remake of Colonization back in 2008 with the CIV IV engine and I remember not caring for it much :(
They messed up the end game, which meant the longer you waited the more difficult it became. In fact pretty much the only way to win was through exploits, by deliberately leaving your cities unguarded and reinvading. There were also bugs with the interface for trading. I enjoyed it for a few playthroughs but it was too broken to enjoy it properly.

I focused on building ships, gave them as much battle experience as possible and swarmed the man-o-wars 3-4 to 1. I can't recall a single redcoat setting foot on my land.

Sign me up for a new edition!

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Civilization V One World Expansion Clues Jan 16, 2013, 16:27 theyarecomingforyou

Keilun wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 16:12:
I recall reading somewhere where Brad Wardell from Stardock had spoken to one of the Civ V devs who had told him that less than 4% ( of Civ V players had even bothered to try an MP game let alone finish one and that was the reason they chose to cut MP from FE.
You're still looking at hundreds of thousands of players and that's where multiplayer was never a major focus. I think it would do really well if they fully integrated it with the Steam Community and allowed simultaneous playthroughs (everyone logs in and it shows whose turn it is, with an optional time limit per-turn) rather than the current manual turn-by-turn email mode.

More importantly, Firaxis promised Pitboss multiplayer and that was years ago.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

10. Re: Civilization V One World Expansion Clues Jan 16, 2013, 16:22 Cutter

Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 14:23:
Beelzebud wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 14:14:
Gods and Kings should have been the game they shipped. It was really good.

I just hope that at some point they do Alpha Centauri II.

Yep and yep. I'd also like a new Colonization too.

They did a remake of Colonization back in 2008 with the CIV IV engine and I remember not caring for it much

I still load up the original from time to time though.

Yeah, I know. I want a new one with fancy new graphics though.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Civilization V One World Expansion Clues Jan 16, 2013, 16:12 Keilun

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 09:40:
I recently noticed that they have added a touch-mode for Windows 8, so it's good to see major patches still being made. However, they really need to implement a proper multiplayer - preferably through Steam Cloud - as the Hot Seat multiplayer is a real chore.

If One World is indeed an expansion and not DLC then I'm looking forward to it, as Gods & Kings was excellent.

The lack of MP features is a real let down and the only reason I haven't played it nearly as much as Civ IV. It's unfortunate. The difference between SP and MP is night and day. I should preface this by saying that this is primarily for preferred MP play (coop vs AI). AI in MP is pretty limited and there is a severe lack of AI diplomacy when it comes to MP.

I recall reading somewhere where Brad Wardell from Stardock had spoken to one of the Civ V devs who had told him that less than 4% ( of Civ V players had even bothered to try an MP game let alone finish one and that was the reason they chose to cut MP from FE. Here's the link:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/415252/page/1/#3058175

Obviously that's valid business reasoning for not putting in, but I do wonder how accurate that metric is...

8. Re: Civilization V One World Expansion Clues Jan 16, 2013, 16:04 theyarecomingforyou

They did a remake of Colonization back in 2008 with the CIV IV engine and I remember not caring for it much :(
They messed up the end game, which meant the longer you waited the more difficult it became. In fact pretty much the only way to win was through exploits, by deliberately leaving your cities unguarded and reinvading. There were also bugs with the interface for trading. I enjoyed it for a few playthroughs but it was too broken to enjoy it properly.

justice7 wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 12:05:
I have played 8 player multiplayer games on Civ V, it does exist.
I didn't say it doesn't exist - I said it was a "real chore". It's also not the Pitboss mode that was originally promised.

7. Re: Civilization V One World Expansion Clues Jan 16, 2013, 15:36 Verno

Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 14:23:

They did a remake of Colonization back in 2008 with the CIV IV engine and I remember not caring for it much

I still load up the original from time to time though.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Legends, Intruders, Apocalypse Now

6. Re: Civilization V One World Expansion Clues Jan 16, 2013, 14:23 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Civilization V One World Expansion Clues Jan 16, 2013, 14:14 Beelzebud

4. Re: Civilization V One World Expansion Clues Jan 16, 2013, 12:05 justice7

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 09:40:
I recently noticed that they have added a touch-mode for Windows 8, so it's good to see major patches still being made. However, they really need to implement a proper multiplayer - preferably through Steam Cloud - as the Hot Seat multiplayer is a real chore.

If One World is indeed an expansion and not DLC then I'm looking forward to it, as Gods & Kings was excellent.

I have played 8 player multiplayer games on Civ V, it does exist.

3. Re: Civilization V One World Expansion Clues Jan 16, 2013, 11:39 Turglar

Yeah still waiting for the pitboss multiplyer mode, which was present in civ 4, and which they promised to add after they released Civ 5.  

2. Re: Civilization V One World Expansion Clues Jan 16, 2013, 09:56 dj LiTh

Same, Gods & Kings was great. I hope this is going to be another expansion as well.  

1. Re: Civilization V One World Expansion Clues Jan 16, 2013, 09:40 theyarecomingforyou

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo