Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Safety Dance

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 17, 2013, 08:00 Quboid

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 17:11:
Julio wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 17:02:
Bob's awesome. Man of the year. If they can outsource, why can't we?

A good company would have leveraged Bob's expertise and outsourced a bunch of jobs and had him run it. Good thing they're not smart enough.

Wait, a good company would reward an employee that lies to them, deceives them, and violates privacy agreements?

That's the main issue IMHO. Obviously he shouldn't have done any of this and he is a very, very naughty boy, but I can't say I'm not impressed. However, opening the business up like that, sending security tokens to people overseas? Not acceptable.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 23:15 jdreyer

LittleMe wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 17:39:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 15:17:
Biden rocks. Pitch perfect response. I don't agree with this administration on everything,butility I appreciate that they are reality based for the most part.

He's just picking his fights. Taking on guns -and- video games at the same time is probably one that can't be won. The likes of Biden aren't going to give up so easily on regulating games. If not him, then the next one handed down.

I know Joe Biden. Joe is my friend. And Joe is no Al Gore (with wife Tipper).

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

16. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 17:39 LittleMe

jdreyer wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 15:17:
Biden rocks. Pitch perfect response. I don't agree with this administration on everything,butility I appreciate that they are reality based for the most part.

He's just picking his fights. Taking on guns -and- video games at the same time is probably one that can't be won. The likes of Biden aren't going to give up so easily on regulating games. If not him, then the next one handed down.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

15. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 17:11 Beamer

Julio wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 17:02:

A good company would have leveraged Bob's expertise and outsourced a bunch of jobs and had him run it. Good thing they're not smart enough.

Wait, a good company would reward an employee that lies to them, deceives them, and violates privacy agreements?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 17:02 Julio

13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 16:55 nin

Cutter wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 16:28:
Further investigation found that the enterprising Bob had actually taken jobs with other firms and had outsourced that work too, netting him hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit as well as lots of time to hang around on internet messaging boards and checking for a new Detective Mittens video.

Bob, you're my personal fuckin' hero, man!

Seriously. It's hard not to be a little impressed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 16:28 Cutter

Further investigation found that the enterprising Bob had actually taken jobs with other firms and had outsourced that work too, netting him hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit as well as lots of time to hang around on internet messaging boards and checking for a new Detective Mittens video.

Bob, you're my personal fuckin' hero, man!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 15:21 jdreyer

@Tumbler. I'm sure it wasn't the outsourcing, but the fact that he let unauthorized people use the VPN.  

10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 15:17 jdreyer

9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 14:37 Tumbler

Hey hey HEY! Only companies get to outsource their work asshole. You can't just outsource you're work to someone else and pass it off as your own. That is immoral.

Now I've got to go teach some kids in india how to talk like an American citizen so that our customers think they're talking to someone here when their TV stops working. That's just good business right there. Of course I'm in America sir, I live in Ohio, now let me reset your cable modem and see if that fixes the problem. No, ok can you pull out the network cable from wall jack? Does it work now? No, ok can you...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 13:37 Panickd

Verno wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 09:46:
Man that takes some balls to attempt. I wonder what his true expertise level was, you would still need to participate in meetings and etc.

Some of the other articles describe him as a quiet, inoffensive man who was technically brilliant and he was being paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $250,000 a year (at one job at least) so my guess is that he was fully capable of doing all the work himself but felt his time was better spent elsewhere. And who can blame him. All he really did was show his managers that he was overpaid because there is a guy in China that could do his job for a fifth his salary.

7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 11:54 Wowbagger_TIP

InBlack wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 09:51:
Im guessing his expertise was probably more than that of his boss. Which might not have been that much if they hired someone initially to fix/update/implement something that they couldnt do themselves.

Still makes you wonder how much of that shit is going down anyway. Im guessing a shitload of companies outsource more and more anyway (its so much cheaper)

The guy should have just started his own development/consulting company. Sounds like he was just really really lazy though and didn't bother to take even basic precautions.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 09:51 InBlack

Im guessing his expertise was probably more than that of his boss. Which might not have been that much if they hired someone initially to fix/update/implement something that they couldnt do themselves.

Still makes you wonder how much of that shit is going down anyway. Im guessing a shitload of companies outsource more and more anyway (its so much cheaper)

I have a nifty blue line!

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 09:46 Verno

Man that takes some balls to attempt. I wonder what his true expertise level was, you would still need to participate in meetings and etc.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 09:42 InBlack

Same here, outsourcing FTW!  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 09:35 nin

1badmf wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 09:31:
dude i don't think that story was real. funny as hell though. it was barney stinson-esque in its monumental audacity.

It's on /. as well, linking to here (which is dead right now).

I'm actually a little impressed he pulled it off...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 09:31 1badmf

dude i don't think that story was real. funny as hell though. it was barney stinson-esque in its monumental audacity.  

1. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2013, 09:05 Raven

9:00 a.m. Arrive and surf Reddit for a couple of hours. Watch cat videos  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo