Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend

Infinite Game Publishing and Piranha Games announce the release of a new Spider mech to MechWarrior Online, their free-to-play multiplayer mech shooter. This comes with word that this will be a double-XP weekend in the game:

Infinite Game Publishing and Piranha Games launched one of the fiercest and quickest Mechs into the InnerSphere today as the Spider Mech made its way into the MechWarrior Online store. Available now, Spider is one of the most maneuverable and agile of all Light Mechs with a whopping eight jumpjets and an unmatched turning radius. Spider pilots can create nightmares for pilots of heavier Mechs on the battlefield; this is the time to watch your back!

In addition to the Spider becoming available, an exciting 3-day in-game event is coming Friday, January 18 at 10 am Pacific the first-ever MechWarrior Online Double XP event. Scheduled to run the duration of the weekend, MechWarrior pilots will hunker down at home in order to defend and conquer in the InnerSphere. The event concludes on Monday, January 21 at 10 am Pacific. To truly maximize XP earning potential, MechWarrior pilots can stack up other XP-boosting techniques such as their Founder benefits, Premium Time and Hero Mech XP-boosts to unlock powerful pilot enhancements quickly.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend Jan 16, 2013, 20:18 Warskull

Cyanotetyphas wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 21:51:
Anyone playing this? Hows the grind friendo?

2012 saw the release of several tantalizing free to play games but unlike pringles you generally can only grind through just one. Planetside2, Tribes Asc, or this?

Initially it is pretty nasty. It takes quite a few games to buy a mech. Even the starter boost leaves you shy. However, once you get a few good mechs you end up having more than you need. There is less demand to keep buying the latest super-overpowered hero like other free to play games.

The comments about netcode are dead on. Netcode is currently this games weakest point. High speed light mechs are near invincible because of lag.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend Jan 16, 2013, 07:15 Overon

Planetside 2 is mostly meh at this point. For a game that's supposed to be about a large scale war there isn't much point in trying to "win" (by having your faction controlling everywhere on the map except the other's jumpgates) because the lion's share of the xp is earned in heated battles. It kind of makes the whole thing feel pointless. It also takes an insane amount of grind to get to the good upgrades.
I agree with you about Planetside 2. I joined an outfit (a group of players) and there isn't much an incentive to win other than to maximize certs and personal stats. It felt less pointless when I joined an outfit though. But still I think that's the biggest draw back. Though the fun can come from working as a team to accomplish some objective like defense of something or capture of something.

The most overused term in the game is "farming" which so many outfits seem to be the main thing they want to do. It consists of defending some terrain like a bio lab against enemy attempts at capture and gaining certs really quickly as they hurl themselves against your defenses. Outfits go out of their way to set up these "farms" by intentionally letting the enemy create spawn points that you don't even try to eliminate, in order to encourage the enemy to spawn and be killed, racking up the cert points. In fact outfits will give up defending one area, to defend a much more farmable area. I think there has to be some extra metagame introduced into planetside 2, otherwise people like me will lose their motivation because in the end it seems so pointless. Maybe increasing the benefits of capturing continents would help in this. Right now the benefits of capturing whole continents are small. I wonder if planetside 1 did anything more than this?

Planetside 2 does suffer from very long grinding required to get the clearly better upgrades. However largly speaking, there are few upgrades that are better. Many upgrades are better because you start with x capabilities and unused slots and later you get something that gives you x+1 capability and fills up an empty slot. But after a certain point, most of the stuff are sidegrades and not really upgrades once your empty slots are filled.

6. Re: MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend Jan 16, 2013, 07:03 Overon

It's good. However the biggest knock against is that the devs, lately, have largely focused on adding new content, new mechs, and meaningless cosmetic content, etc instead of focusing on polishing netcode which has some issues with hit detection and rubberbanding and fixing bugs. Now I understand why that may be, new mechs and new customizing content is how revenue is generated and they need revenue to keep working.

The good news is that they already said they plan on improving netcode by the end of the month. Ideally I wish they would focus on annoying bugs that have been there forever like light mechs getting their legs hurts by traversing slightly uneven terrain at high speeds. They have already said that this is not intentional and it's a bug.

5. Re: MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend Jan 16, 2013, 06:35 Panickd

2012 saw the release of several tantalizing free to play games but unlike pringles you generally can only grind through just one. Planetside2, Tribes Asc, or this?

Tribes Ascend is a blast to play and pretty polished and stable at this point (I've played it since the early part of the beta) but it can be frustrating because of the sheer number of weapons that can be had in the game now. New players are never sure where to spend their experience.

Planetside 2 is mostly meh at this point. For a game that's supposed to be about a large scale war there isn't much point in trying to "win" (by having your faction controlling everywhere on the map except the other's jumpgates) because the lion's share of the xp is earned in heated battles. It kind of makes the whole thing feel pointless. It also takes an insane amount of grind to get to the good upgrades.

MWO is looking pretty good but I've only put a few hours into it. So far I am digging it at least as much as Tribes and it seems like it has a lot of potential ahead of it.

4. Re: MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend Jan 16, 2013, 05:43 InBlack

The grind is not so bad at all, the first 20 matches with trial mechs have a huge C-bills bonuns that allow you to accumulate enough C-bills to purchase nearly any mech in the game.

Later on the C-bills earning is much more conservative but its still not really much of a grind. I havent been using any premium time at all and have barely noticed the grind compared to any other FTP game out there...

Pretty decent game so far, although limited to only 2 game modes so far. Also every patch seems to introduce as many bugs as they fix so its a mixed bag in that department. You will also need a fairly good machine to run it at decent FPS as the game is very heavily CPU bound and isnt that optimized.

Im having a blast but the last two patches were fairly meh, still a good fix for us Mechwarrior fans.

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend Jan 15, 2013, 21:56 The Pyro

I play MWO regularly; the grind is not bad at all if you have premium time. New players are also given a major C-bill boost for their first 25 matches so that you can afford a mech quickly.

So far I enjoy MWO more than Tribes:Asc mainly due to the customization options. Tribes is a much more polished and stable game, though, especially in terms of network code. But whereas Tribes can be enjoyed alone I feel that the MWO experience pretty much requires Teamspeak or some other VoIP technology.

2. Re: MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend Jan 15, 2013, 21:52 The Pyro

Neither founders mechs nor hero mechs grant XP boosts; they grant C-bill boosts only. I'm surprised an official press release would make that mistake.

Also... the game is supposedly still in open beta, so why would they need a double XP weekend? Maybe they should finish the game first.

1. Re: MechWarrior Online Double XP Weekend Jan 15, 2013, 21:51 Cyanotetyphas

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo