Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 17, 2013, 08:21 Beamer

Bhruic wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 13:18:
Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 10:54:
But you're also the only person in this thread not excusing these guys. No one is saying that they shouldn't be allowed to make this, they're saying that they chose to make this shows a problem in the gaming community. Which you're acknowledging.

But you're the only one.

Everyone else here is saying things like "deal with it," or "first world problems" or "don't like it don't buy it," as if it simply not being purchased means it isn't an example of a problem. When we actually discuss a problem most likely it's "shut up and make me a sandwich" or "stop whining about first world problems."

Gamers tend to be straight white males, and tend to get EXTREMELY defensive whenever a non straight white male says that they feel a bit excluded. Again, this board (but not you) is a perfect example. People bend over backwards to say that they know what it's like to not be a straight white male because of one incident that lasted five minutes.

You make no effort to connect your points. I personally think the statue is in pretty poor taste - not because of gender, sexuality or race issues, but because it's pretty ugly. But I don't see any indication that any of those factors play into it at all. You go off on a rant about us all being "white straight males" without any indication that has any impact on our perception of this situation.

And then you describe this as a "problem", with no evidence that there's any problem whatsoever. If you want to rail against people, and you are so convinced we have a problem, how about actually presenting evidence there's a problem, rather than claiming there is with nothing to back it up (your standard MO, of course).

I've done it in the past, and Blue links to at least one article per quarter, if not one per month.

It isn't worthwhile. The women and minorities writing it can write it with more credibility than I, and they still get laughed off. Not even responded to, but laughed off or condescended off.

Why would I continue making the argument? After a while you run out of breath and just sit back in awe of how ignorant people are.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 16, 2013, 22:51 MoreLuckThanSkill

People are getting upset about the wrong thing here.

Dead Island's promo trailer was flat out amazing. Unfortunately the game was nothing like the trailer.

Never forget this horrible crime!

For the record I bought Dead Island on sale for like 5 bucks, still haven't finished it. I plan on getting around to it eventually.

*EDIT* Typo.

28. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 16, 2013, 13:18 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 10:54:
But you're also the only person in this thread not excusing these guys. No one is saying that they shouldn't be allowed to make this, they're saying that they chose to make this shows a problem in the gaming community. Which you're acknowledging.

But you're the only one.

Everyone else here is saying things like "deal with it," or "first world problems" or "don't like it don't buy it," as if it simply not being purchased means it isn't an example of a problem. When we actually discuss a problem most likely it's "shut up and make me a sandwich" or "stop whining about first world problems."

Gamers tend to be straight white males, and tend to get EXTREMELY defensive whenever a non straight white male says that they feel a bit excluded. Again, this board (but not you) is a perfect example. People bend over backwards to say that they know what it's like to not be a straight white male because of one incident that lasted five minutes.

You make no effort to connect your points. I personally think the statue is in pretty poor taste - not because of gender, sexuality or race issues, but because it's pretty ugly. But I don't see any indication that any of those factors play into it at all. You go off on a rant about us all being "white straight males" without any indication that has any impact on our perception of this situation.

And then you describe this as a "problem", with no evidence that there's any problem whatsoever. If you want to rail against people, and you are so convinced we have a problem, how about actually presenting evidence there's a problem, rather than claiming there is with nothing to back it up (your standard MO, of course).

27. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 16, 2013, 10:54 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 01:54:
Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 00:37:
Who gives you the right to buy violent video games? Was that, like something in the 26th amendment and I misse dit?

I'm pretty sure that was implicit in the SCOTUS ruling that videogames are protected under the first amendment. As in, they can be made, and you can be free to purchase them.

As for the statue, these devs seem to think that 'publicity' stemming from the fact they are vulgar assclowns is fantastic. If so, they also have the freedom to think that, and to act on it.

The statue in question personifies the words "No taste whatsoever" and their timing is of course very deliberate (More negative press! Woohoo! Maybe Joe Lieberman will get all pissed off about it!) but other than that, eh. Marketing peons everywhere seem to think that cheap schlock is the way to go.

Creston

I'll give you this. It's a good response.

But you're the only one.

Do we have a problem? Of course. Most here deny it, but c'mon, we're a board that I believe is exclusively male. Do we have a single female here? Just one? Anywhere? We're also almost exclusively straight - not that it's particularly obvious but I only know of one non-straight regular poster. Ethnicity is even less obvious, but I'd put $100 that says our regular posters are more than 90% white.

There's a problem, and every response in this thread not yours is just proof of that problem. Hell, in another thread some guy said he refuses to play a game where the character is a black man because it breaks immersion... and few called him on it!

-------------

26. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 16, 2013, 08:51 eRe4s3r

I wish one of these days a company would just straight out go and say "F*ck you, don't buy it if you don't like it!"

But no, instead Deepsilver is a nanny and apologizes. Typical corporate 0 balls approach. So making a super gory violent zombie slaughter game is OK, but making a physical statue of a zombie corpse part is not ok?

25. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 16, 2013, 01:54 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 00:37:
Who gives you the right to buy violent video games? Was that, like something in the 26th amendment and I misse dit?

I'm pretty sure that was implicit in the SCOTUS ruling that videogames are protected under the first amendment. As in, they can be made, and you can be free to purchase them.

As for the statue, these devs seem to think that 'publicity' stemming from the fact they are vulgar assclowns is fantastic. If so, they also have the freedom to think that, and to act on it.

The statue in question personifies the words "No taste whatsoever" and their timing is of course very deliberate (More negative press! Woohoo! Maybe Joe Lieberman will get all pissed off about it!) but other than that, eh. Marketing peons everywhere seem to think that cheap schlock is the way to go.

Creston

24. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 16, 2013, 01:07 Orphic Resonance

i got dead island on sale for like 12 bucks.. it was ok with the mouse, but once i plugged in a ps3 gamepad, it was alot more fun.. better performance too, some kind of really shitty interpolation is in that game

but yeh, the fps melee is cool on the gamepad - dunno why but it feels more fun to play.. chopping heads in half and shit with slick moves.. i liked it

23. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 16, 2013, 00:37 Beamer

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 22:59:
Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 21:45:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 21:21:
Like everything else "offensive" in this world, it's only an issue because people make it one. I'm pretty sure the starving, abused, and impoverished of the world would kill for the luxury of spending more than two seconds worrying about how "wrong" this piece of art is. First world problems at its finest...

So we can dismiss everything as FWP now?

"So, they want to ban video games due to school shootings. Shut up, everyone, just accept it and kiss your games goodbye. Right now someone starving to death in Africa just wishes his biggest concern was the end of video games!"

Right, because infringing upon the rights of others is exactly the same as getting butthurt over something you don't have to buy or even pay any attention to whatsoever... Fantastic logic there. My point is people love to be offended by the dumbest shit, meanwhile they are completely oblivious to the real problems in the world.

I couldn't care less if the statue was a nude woman being graphically raped by zombies, that thing existing would affect absolutely nobody in any real way. That's why it's #firstworldproblems. Being offended doesn't make you a victim.

Who gives you the right to buy violent video games?
Was that, like something in the 26th amendment and I misse dit?

-------------

22. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 16, 2013, 00:24 DangerDog

It's easier to ask for forgiveness then it is to ask permission.

derp, sorry we offended won't happen again.

21. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 16, 2013, 00:18 ELITE

What Elf Said:

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 22:56:
I have no problem with the statue, but I just think it's fucking STUPID. There are soooo many better things you could do to sell a 'cool' statue, it just seems like it was done for the media attention and nothing else.

20. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 16, 2013, 00:12 Cutter

I guess the bleeding hearts have never seen a roman bust before. Or these were the same assholes in ancient Rome who were whining about those busts back then.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 16, 2013, 00:02 jdreyer

As for the statue, it isn't particularly offensive to me (although they'd have to be idiots if they didn't think it would create an uproar), but so unattractive as demotivate me from picking up the special edition. There are so many other cooler things they could have done to make getting that edition worthwhile.

Therefore, I assume this was a publicity stunt designed to drive press coverage and gain free advertising. It's not like this franchise doesn't have a history of doing this: the trailer for the original game (NSFW) was controversial with kids getting killed and handless bikini zombies stuff. The "free" advertising is worth more than the cost of producing and shipping said statues.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 23:53 Trevellian

jdreyer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 23:51:
Bhruic wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 23:37:

I must admit to curiosity as to why you would actually finish a game that you all apparently disliked that much? When I dislike a game, I generally stop playing it.

Because they wanted their money's worth, dammit?

Pretty much this. We stomached it enough to get about half way through, hoping it would get better. When it didn't we stopped playing it for months... Eventually one day we got bored, wanted it to not be a complete and total waste of money, and to see the ending... which was another source of the frustration at how bad the game was. The ending didn't even make it worth the trip.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 23:51 jdreyer

Bhruic wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 23:37:

I must admit to curiosity as to why you would actually finish a game that you all apparently disliked that much? When I dislike a game, I generally stop playing it.

Because they wanted their money's worth, dammit?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 23:37 Bhruic

Trevellian wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 22:52:
Good for you, you paid less and you actually enjoyed the game.

We didn't. If I had enjoyed the game I wouldn't have cared about the 50 bucks. Doesn't make our disappointment in it any different because you got a deal. Whether we got it at 50 bucks, or 30 bucks, we still would have thought it was shit and a waste of money. We finished it, uninstalled it and have never thought about installing it again.

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 22:59 jacobvandy

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 21:45:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 21:21:
Like everything else "offensive" in this world, it's only an issue because people make it one. I'm pretty sure the starving, abused, and impoverished of the world would kill for the luxury of spending more than two seconds worrying about how "wrong" this piece of art is. First world problems at its finest...

So we can dismiss everything as FWP now?

"So, they want to ban video games due to school shootings. Shut up, everyone, just accept it and kiss your games goodbye. Right now someone starving to death in Africa just wishes his biggest concern was the end of video games!"

Right, because infringing upon the rights of others is exactly the same as getting butthurt over something you don't have to buy or even pay any attention to whatsoever... Fantastic logic there. My point is people love to be offended by the dumbest shit, meanwhile they are completely oblivious to the real problems in the world.

I couldn't care less if the statue was a nude woman being graphically raped by zombies, that thing existing would affect absolutely nobody in any real way. That's why it's #firstworldproblems. Being offended doesn't make you a victim.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2013, 23:06.

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 22:57 Dades

Picked up the original during a sale on christmas and thought it was alright but not something I'm going to spend alot of time with. The gameplay was really rough and the skill trees seemed strange.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 22:56 The Half Elf

I have no problem with the statue, but I just think it's fucking STUPID. There are soooo many better things you could do to sell a 'cool' statue, it just seems like it was done for the media attention and nothing else.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 22:52 Trevellian

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 22:40:
Trevellian wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 22:08:
Dead Island was a fucking terrible experience and myself and the 3 people I played coop with wanted a full refund after finishing the garbage ass game.

The fact that it was allowed to have a Game of the Year edition, because ONE online review site gave it game of the year, is appalling to me. They were allowed to release it right before christmas too so parents would see "Game of the Year" on the box and go "oh my kids like zombies maybe they'll like this" and sell more copies to unsuspecting victims.

The first game was the ONLY GAME I have actually felt I wasted 50 bucks on. Normally I love Zombie games, but the story was horrible, the combat was horrible, the animations were horrible, and it was just all in all awful.

How it made enough money to warrant a sequel is beyond me.

uh...what!? Ok, the game sucked so bad, you and 3 others FINISHED IT in co-op mode? On top of that, you paid 50! bucks for it? Let me guess, console. The game was like $30.00.

ooooh...look at steamprices, it RETAILED for 49.99 on opening day. I am pretty sure I got a preorder for a lot less than that, or I bought a 4 pack witih friends. I rarely...RARELY pay full price retail - that is just being a bad consumer.

/edit: Yup, checking steam, 4 pack with Verno and others. Game is a hoot. I have it for both xbox and pc. Buddy brings his xbox over and we sit side by side on 40 inch LCDs playing. Other than Saints Row 3, I haven't had that much fun with co-op in a hellaofalongtime.

Good for you, you paid less and you actually enjoyed the game.

We didn't. If I had enjoyed the game I wouldn't have cared about the 50 bucks. Doesn't make our disappointment in it any different because you got a deal. Whether we got it at 50 bucks, or 30 bucks, we still would have thought it was shit and a waste of money. We finished it, uninstalled it and have never thought about installing it again.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 22:52 Prez

I guess I am weird - I played Dead Island in singleplayer for 99% of my 30 hours of playtime and had a blast. Riptide is an insta-buy for me barring any release day calamities.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo