Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined

GuildWars2.com offers word from ArenaNet's Colin Johanson about what the coming months hold for Guild Wars 2, their MMORPG sequel, accompanied by a video on the same topic. The post is pretty long, going into their philosophy in outlying how it will be realized this year, and giving detail on subjects like world events, rewards, WvW combat, and more. This comes along with word from ArenaNet on the game's retail success, as they announce Guild Wars 2 has sold over three million copies to date.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 16, 2013, 12:32 Verno

Suppa7 wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 09:43:
Man the RPG genre has gone to the dumps since the rise of MMO's. I haven't seen any RPG's I've liked since everyone jumped on the MMO style combat systems and server based (because of DRM/online) combat.

The current generation of skill-less dweebs who think MMO's are great is fascinating.

I'd like to see a game where I can actually participate again and not be chained to some auto-combat based garbage the last 10 years of MMO's have churned out.

Err have you played this? Ironically the combat in Guild Wars 2 is all about proper usage of skills and actively dodging attacks. There is no auto-attack style combat here. You can toggle some skills to fire after cooldowns but its purely a convenience feature and isn't optimal for most combat anyway.

I agree that RPGs in general are disappointing these days but the combat in this is very twitch/skill based.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 16, 2013, 09:43 Suppa7

Man the RPG genre has gone to the dumps since the rise of MMO's. I haven't seen any RPG's I've liked since everyone jumped on the MMO style combat systems and server based (because of DRM/online) combat.

The current generation of skill-less dweebs who think MMO's are great is fascinating.

I'd like to see a game where I can actually participate again and not be chained to some auto-combat based garbage the last 10 years of MMO's have churned out.

This comment was edited on Jan 16, 2013, 10:06.

39. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 16, 2013, 08:51 Jonjonz

Whoo-Hoo 3 million copies, not exactly the WoW killer they claimed it would be, a rather small market share.

GW2 is the jumping puzzle MMO.

Colin really needs to get some manly tatoos on his fore-arms to look less wussified.

38. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 16, 2013, 06:53 briktal

Ripperjack wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:49:
Unlike the lazy Blizzard devs, who slap on a new colour palette to an existing boss, and shovel it out the door as your next expansion,

How can you say that about a game where you spend the first half fighting the same handful of centaur mobs and the second half fighting the same handful of undead mobs?

37. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 16, 2013, 00:40 Fion

Same as a bunch of folks I'm rather taking a break because of all the fantastic games out this winter. But I'm sure come march/april when the game market dries up I'll be back with a vengeance.

This is typically how I play MMOGs, and many other long-term games. I've got hundreds of hours into Skyrim that tends to be 50 one month, 50 more three months later.. etc.

I do agree you don't feel quite so connected to your character but like others have mentioned in regular MMOGs you play so often just to get your moneys worth that it's easier to create that connection. But frankly I'd much rather be able to come and go as I please without worry of payments and shit.

36. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 16, 2013, 00:26 Creston

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 20:02:
I thought you were going to go and find out when you come back you are a mile behind.

A mile behind what? The treadmill? The zerg? The top level players?

Who cares? GW2 is fun. I'm playing some other stuff right now, and one of these days I'll feel like playing GW2 again, and can go right back on in and play as much or as little as I want to, without feeling that I need to get my $15 worth.

Creston

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 22:47 Dades

Bhruic wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 20:38:
Not to mention the fact that the basic premise of your point still stands whether it's 3 million sales or 5 million. Either way, it's a lot of sales, which indicates the game is doing quite well.

I don't play as much as I used to but it seems to be doing fine for my servers population, I see a variety of level ranges. I'm sure the game made back its budget and then some. I think it's a great game and hope other MMO games adopt many of its quality of life improvements.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

34. removed Jan 15, 2013, 22:17 Axis

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 16, 2013, 06:44.

Yours truly,

Axis

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 20:38 Bhruic

Dades wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 19:19:
Very few people, LOL. Oh no, I accidentally misquoted a news article about a sales figure, the world is ending! I don't care if its 1.5 million or 10 million, I don't own shares in NCsoft. The fact that this guy is digging through everyones posts on the forums spot checking is incredibly creepy, obvious mental issues.

Not to mention the fact that the basic premise of your point still stands whether it's 3 million sales or 5 million. Either way, it's a lot of sales, which indicates the game is doing quite well.

32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 20:27 jacobvandy

Throw me in with the "played for hundreds of hours at launch and burned out more than got my money's worth" crowd. Yeah, sometimes I think it's a shame I'm missing out on holiday events, etc., but it'll likely still be a while yet before I revisit and check out what new stuff they've added. As far as value goes, you cannot beat a quality MMO that doesn't treat you like a second-class citizen just because you're not paying a subscription... Being able to go back at any time, and play as much or as little as you feel like, is pretty much the tits.

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 20:10:
Perhaps if we want one char of every profession, that will cost us some.

If you have a max-level character, you can pretty easily earn enough money to buy gems for character slots. Helps if you invest in a crafting profession through to selling end-game gear.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2013, 20:41.

31. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 15, 2013, 20:11 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 20:07:
I thought you were going to go and find out when you come back you are a mile behind. I never found it hard to go to a website, login and cancel and re-up later if I wanted to. We talk about the dumbing down of games, but then find sub/unsub some type of feat?

Subscription MMOs bank on the fact that people want to get their moneys worth and the more they spend, the more they feel invested in their characters and other aspects of the game. It's a sunken cost fallacy thing.

Yep there is some of that, but different then not wanting to go cancel because it's a hassle.

30. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 15, 2013, 20:10 HorrorScope

loomy wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 19:42:
talk about the news you stupid fucks.

this game is comparable to diablo 3. there is no monthly fee, they just nickle and dime you with bullshit.

Huh, my merry band of five just have initial price of the game invested and don't really see the need for more. Perhaps if we want one char of every profession, that will cost us some.

29. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 15, 2013, 20:07 Verno

I thought you were going to go and find out when you come back you are a mile behind. I never found it hard to go to a website, login and cancel and re-up later if I wanted to. We talk about the dumbing down of games, but then find sub/unsub some type of feat?

Subscription MMOs bank on the fact that people want to get their moneys worth and the more they spend, the more they feel invested in their characters and other aspects of the game. It's a sunken cost fallacy thing.

28. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 15, 2013, 20:02 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:48:
Congrats, Anet!

I've put GW2 on hold for awhile. Tons of other stuff to play. I'll get back to it at some point, and I love that this is an MMO you can just put away for awhile without some fucking corporate asshat charging your CC $15 every month you're not playing.

Creston

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 20:01 Verno

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 14:24:
I love how everyone in the thread raves about how great the game is, but everyone is "burnt out" or "taking a break" from it. That tells me that at the end of the day it's just another typical MMO treadmill.

Sure, at the end of the day it's still an MMO so if you play 200+ hours of GW2 then you'll probably get burned out. The difference is that you don't feel an obligation to play to justify your purchase and the ongoing cost. It's still a pretty fun game for that 200 hours though.

I think the days of one game monopolizing everyones time are long gone, there are simply too many new games released every year and many are attractive to the "core" audience.

this game is comparable to diablo 3. there is no monthly fee, they just nickle and dime you with bullshit.

They really don't, you don't need anything on the cash shop. To be fair, Diablo 3 doesn't nickle and dime you either.

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 19:42 loomy

talk about the news you stupid fucks.

this game is comparable to diablo 3. there is no monthly fee, they just nickle and dime you with bullshit. so compare the actions they've taken to the cluster fuck that is diablo 3. they're doing pretty well in comparison.

and the sales don't matter when people are playing. talk about sales when the game is dead. you don't get anything else from their sales. please continue

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 19:19 Dades

nin wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 18:49:
Wait, people don't have axis blocked?

Very few people, LOL. Oh no, I accidentally misquoted a news article about a sales figure, the world is ending! I don't care if its 1.5 million or 10 million, I don't own shares in NCsoft. The fact that this guy is digging through everyones posts on the forums spot checking is incredibly creepy, obvious mental issues.

24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 18:49 nin

sauron wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 18:45:
Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 15:07:
Oh here's Dades quote on GW2. Just so I can say I told you this guy is always full of shit:

Dades wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:0:
It sold over 5 million copies already and has a pretty stable ongoing revenue stream in the shop. If that's not a success I don't know what is.

No offense, but going back 6 weeks just to prove you were right is kind of sad.

Wait, people don't have axis blocked?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 18:45 sauron

Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 15:07:
Oh here's Dades quote on GW2. Just so I can say I told you this guy is always full of shit:

Dades wrote on Dec 4, 2012, 23:0:
It sold over 5 million copies already and has a pretty stable ongoing revenue stream in the shop. If that's not a success I don't know what is.

No offense, but going back 6 weeks just to prove you were right is kind of sad.

Kittens!

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 18:31 sauron

I am still playing - at 250 hours and loving it. Servers still full, everyone seems to be having a good time.

Only downside is that I haven't gotten to my own backlog of games.

Kittens!

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo