Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined

GuildWars2.com offers word from ArenaNet's Colin Johanson about what the coming months hold for Guild Wars 2, their MMORPG sequel, accompanied by a video on the same topic. The post is pretty long, going into their philosophy in outlying how it will be realized this year, and giving detail on subjects like world events, rewards, WvW combat, and more. This comes along with word from ArenaNet on the game's retail success, as they announce Guild Wars 2 has sold over three million copies to date.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 17:57 Cutter

I always burn out on MMOs until major new stuff comes along. When it does I'll be back with bells on. I'd probably be playing no but I have a boatload of games to play first.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 17:55 jdreyer

PropheT wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 17:15:
What glut of awesome games? The past Christmas season was the weakest game release season I can remember, and since Far Cry 3 at the beginning of December I can't think of anything else that has released since or will until into February.

So, the "Christmas Season" for gaming starts in October and goes through Christmas. There were some highly rated games released, so I could see how someone could get backlogged:
- Dishonored
- XCOM
- Retro City Rampage
- Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
- Mark of the Ninja (on Steam)
- Elemental: Fallen Enchantress
- Hotline Miami
- Walking Dead Eps 4 & 5
- Planetside 2

And that doesn't even include the games which everyone says they don't play, but which tend to sell like hotcakes anyway: AC3, NFS:MW, BLOPS2, Halo4, Darksiders2, Hitman:Absolution, etc.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 17:38 Talisorn

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:03:
Great game, first MMO I've ever truly enjoyed thanks to no monthly fee. Burnt out a bit on it and taking a break but I'll go back eventually.

That's the beauty of games like GW2 .... and TSW, DDO, LotRO, Tera and even TOR (the 'preferred' F2P isn't that bad, you know) and any number of F2P/B2P variants. As you don't have a subscription running, you don't feel tied to the game. You can drop it and come back any time you like ... and feel no pressure to keep playing.

18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 17:15 PropheT

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:03:
Kindly point out which games you have that you can play for more than 300 hours without getting tired of them, especially during a time when a glut of awesome games is being released.

What glut of awesome games? The past Christmas season was the weakest game release season I can remember, and since Far Cry 3 at the beginning of December I can't think of anything else that has released since or will until into February.

Anyway to answer the 300 hour question I'd say any good MMO.

Flatline wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:50:
I still see consistent crowds regardless of where I go. It's sparse in the mid-teens zones, since so many people are at end-game now, but that's no different from WoW, where I went 23 levels once without seeing another PC outside of a town.

WoW is 8+ years old now, and GW2 is..what, 4-ish months?

I also don't agree that you see consistent crowds wherever you go. I quit playing around early October due in large part to there being no one around in the mid-level game. Once you get past 30 or so, there was barely a handful of people around. As an aside to that, with CRZ around in WoW (like it or hate it), you -will- see people in low level areas now. Some are fairly busy.

The problem there is that GW2 is designed around having people around. The events either are not possible or are not fun without having a steady stream of people around. Those areas are also designed that people can do them regardless of level, but they don't.

If I was going to compare two games to each other at the age GW2 is, it wouldn't be GW2 and WoW. I'd compare GW2 and Warhammer, which have the same population issues and gameplay issues as a result for mostly the same reasons.

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 16:55 LittleMe

Enjoyed playing for a while but found the underlying game very repetitive for PvE. New level with new monsters and new area, but exact same gameplay.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2013, 17:06.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 16:50 Flatline

Axis wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 15:00:
Game is worth the price for a playthrough, not replaying - just ask the emptiness in the game...

I still see consistent crowds regardless of where I go. It's sparse in the mid-teens zones, since so many people are at end-game now, but that's no different from WoW, where I went 23 levels once without seeing another PC outside of a town.

And as for "burnout", there's a finite amount of content. Once you play through it, unless you really dig PvP or WvWvW, you can get tired of it. But yeah, I've clocked around 300 hours into too and had a blast. Absolutely the best valued game I've played in 2012.

15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 16:14 Axis

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:03:
Beelzebud wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 14:24:
I love how everyone in the thread raves about how great the game is, but everyone is "burnt out" or "taking a break" from it. That tells me that at the end of the day it's just another typical MMO treadmill.

Kindly point out which games you have that you can play for more than 300 hours without getting tired of them, especially during a time when a glut of awesome games is being released.

Creston

If you play a game more than 60 hours you did pretty well with your dollar per entertainment hour. But 300?? -- that's a much smaller pool of games. I'll list mine in no particular order:

BBS Muds
QWTF
Q2RA
TF2
CS
Tribes
EQ
WoW
D2
PoE

Yours truly,

Axis

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 16:03 Creston

I love how everyone in the thread raves about how great the game is, but everyone is "burnt out" or "taking a break" from it. That tells me that at the end of the day it's just another typical MMO treadmill.

Creston

13. removed Jan 15, 2013, 15:07 Axis

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jan 16, 2013, 06:45.

Yours truly,

Axis

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 15:01 OpticNerve

I've been trying to go through my backlog of games that I've gotten recently (Dark Souls, Far Cry 3, Arkham City, etc.) but I still hop on every other day or so to do a daily and participate in World vs World. This was after playing for every single day in the past few months doing Fractals of the Mist dungeon runs for the various fractal weapon skins as well.

WvW's a blast once you hop on a voice chat for your server and get in a few good Commanders leading the charge so that'll keep me playing until some new content update or big event gets released.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 15:00 Axis

Game is worth the price for a playthrough, not replaying - just ask the emptiness in the game...

Certainly not the killer game many of you frothed at the mouth at. Hey where's dades and his '5 million' sales quote? Love that guy, he makes me laugh with almost every post.

Oh, and my predictions about PoE about to come true. You can bow to me anytime...

Yours truly,

Axis

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 14:31 NegaDeath

Doesn't have to mean that at all, rotating through ones game library to keep things fresh is quite normal. I think I've taken 4 breaks from Skyrim.

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 14:24 Beelzebud

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 14:19 Flatline

It's also nice to see serious, frequent post-launch content being released. Yeah, most of it is extra end-game dungeons and crap, but that's pretty effing cool.  

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 13:49 Ripperjack

Jivaro wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:38:
The beauty of the business model is that I know I can come back anytime I want, the downside of the business model is that I know I can come back anytime I want....

Yes, but...

Unlike the lazy Blizzard devs, who slap on a new colour palette to an existing boss, and shovel it out the door as your next expansion, the GW2 guys have to work for your return business. Since it costs you nothing, to NOT play the game, you have little reason to return if you're burnt out.

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:48:
...I love that this is an MMO you can just put away for awhile without some fucking corporate asshat charging your CC $15 every month you're not playing.

Indeed. It's nice not feeling forced to play a game, just to get my $15 per month, monies worth!

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 13:48 Creston

Congrats, Anet!

I've put GW2 on hold for awhile. Tons of other stuff to play. I'll get back to it at some point, and I love that this is an MMO you can just put away for awhile without some fucking corporate asshat charging your CC $15 every month you're not playing.

Creston

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 13:38 Jivaro

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:10:
I played it the first month, then everything came out for Xmas, then the Winter and Xmas Steam sales....

Same here. The beauty of the business model is that I know I can come back anytime I want, the downside of the business model is that I know I can come back anytime I want....

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 13:11 Wildone

Only 3 mil? Fail! According to the new standards set by CLODBLOPSCOD anything less than 30 mil sales a FLOP!  

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 13:10 The Half Elf

I played it the first month, then everything came out for Xmas, then the Winter and Xmas Steam sales....  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Sells 3 Million; Future Plans Outlined Jan 15, 2013, 13:03 NegaDeath

Great game, first MMO I've ever truly enjoyed thanks to no monthly fee. Burnt out a bit on it and taking a break but I'll go back eventually.  

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo