Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs

Irrational Games has details about PC support in BioShock Infinite, their upcoming first-person shooter sequel. They discuss the ability to use the mouse and keyboard or one of three different setups for traitors using controllers. There are also details on graphics, including support for DirectX 11, noting that the game's "unadulterated, full-resolution textures" result in a three DVD installation, saying they "hope you will appreciate the jaw-dropping detail our amazing team of artists lavished on the game." This also reveals PC specifications, both minimum and recommended:

MINIMUM

• Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz
  • Memory: 2 GB
  • Hard Drive: 20 GB free
  • Video Card: DirectX10 Compatible ATI Radeon HD 3870 / NVIDIA 8800 GT / Intel HD 3000 Integrated Graphics
  • Video Card Memory: 512 MB
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

RECOMMENDED

• Processor: Quad Core Processor
  • Memory: 4 GB
  • Hard Drive: 30 GB free
  • Video Card: DirectX11 Compatible, AMD Radeon HD 6950 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
  • Video Card Memory: 1024 MB
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

29. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 16:45 AngelicPenguin

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:31:
UE3 streams in textures at multiple detail levels... doesn't it? you see it as texture "pop-in". How much more noticeable is that pop-in going to take now that we have huge uncompressed textures to throw at it?

I understand that programming for multiple threads is "harder"... but a lot of it is built into the engire they purchased int he first place... in this case UE3 which has plenty of threading options available to programmers that rarely get used. It's not limited to just programming for "multiple cores" either. Lots of ports (GTA4 comes to mind) are severely CPU intensive for really no reason.

Most modern games that have graphics options allow you to set the texture detail - I'd assume this will as well. If your video card's memory is on the slow or small side, setting the texture quality to "full" or whatever they will call it will probably hurt.

I still don't really see the point in the multiple threads argument. When I saw that Crysis 2 performed MUCH better on a quad-core than a dual-core, I thought that was terrific that they were taking advantage of current hardware.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 16:37 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:24:
Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:45:
Verno wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:34:
Just my 2 cents, I don't think Crysis necessarily looks better, I just thought his response was bizarre. Far Cry 3 with MSAA is pretty impressive but I don't see why he thought another game competing with it visually was so dubious. Bioshock for its time was a pretty good looking game and I'd wait to see this at least before passing judgment.

He didn't mock that anything could look as good as FC3, he mocked that FC3 "doesn't even look that great."

I haven't played it, but from the videos I've seen that's a very high standard for not "that great."

Play it. The game looks nice outside (when you turn off SSAO) but the interior lighting just looks broken (this is particularly noticeable in dark caves and ruins). Maybe it's just a DX11 issue or something but it looks really bad.

As a whole, FC3 is a nice-looking game but I wouldn't call it great-looking. I definitely don't think it looks better than Infinite based on what I've seen of both.

Oh, it's on my list. After XCOM. And, probably, Homefront. I think those are my next two PC games, if only because I have them installed. XCOM I'm dying to play. Homefront... I got it for $3 and kind of want to see how bland it is. That's a game I expect to put about 2.5 hours into, and use its bland tastelessness to cleanse the palette between Borderlands 2 and anything else.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 16:31 descender

UE3 streams in textures at multiple detail levels... doesn't it? you see it as texture "pop-in". How much more noticeable is that pop-in going to take now that we have huge uncompressed textures to throw at it?

I understand that programming for multiple threads is "harder"... but a lot of it is built into the engire they purchased int he first place... in this case UE3 which has plenty of threading options available to programmers that rarely get used. It's not limited to just programming for "multiple cores" either. Lots of ports (GTA4 comes to mind) are severely CPU intensive for really no reason.

26. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 16:25 AngelicPenguin

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 15:23:
There is nooooo real reason that games have jumped from single core to quad core requirements in the last few years outside of shoddy, lazy, un-optimized game engines.

Bioshock2 had a refresh rate lock on it (who knows why, the first game didn't and no other UE3 games do...), so this can't be a day 1 purchase for me.

"unadulterated, full-resolution textures" - How long is it going to take to stream in that layer of textures? What does "full resolution" mean anyway? That's not a real thing.

"Hard Drive: 30 GB free"

This is a bigger deal than anything on this list.

I have no idea what you mean by "stream in" - are you hoping to play on a streaming service? (ba-da bump) I thought it was pretty obvious he is saying that the PC release will have the full uncompressed textures, while the consoles will have to make compromises for memory.

And in the days of 3 terabyte hard drives, I'm not sure 30 GB is really an issue. Maybe with an SSD you'd have to shuffle some other games around while you play through this game - I dunno, personally I'd prefer they use whatever makes it look the best.

And on the quad-core - you do realize it's HARDER to multi-thread something, so that it takes advantages of multiple cores, right? Shoddy and lazy is not what immediately springs to my mind.

25. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 16:24 Jerykk

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:45:
Just my 2 cents, I don't think Crysis necessarily looks better, I just thought his response was bizarre. Far Cry 3 with MSAA is pretty impressive but I don't see why he thought another game competing with it visually was so dubious. Bioshock for its time was a pretty good looking game and I'd wait to see this at least before passing judgment.

He didn't mock that anything could look as good as FC3, he mocked that FC3 "doesn't even look that great."

I haven't played it, but from the videos I've seen that's a very high standard for not "that great."

Play it. The game looks nice outside (when you turn off SSAO) but the interior lighting just looks broken (this is particularly noticeable in dark caves and ruins). Maybe it's just a DX11 issue or something but it looks really bad.

As a whole, FC3 is a nice-looking game but I wouldn't call it great-looking. I definitely don't think it looks better than Infinite based on what I've seen of both.

24. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 16:21 descender

I'm pretty sure you missed the point. They are using a significantly larger amount of processing power, and we have gotten basically nothing in return. No good physics, no good AI...

I'd rather a game used my spare cores than leave them idling.

I'd rather have my cores in use too, preferably doing something that they could not have done with less cores. Processing power has been treated as a bit of an infinite resource in PC games lately (very obvious on ports that barely put any load on the GPU). It would be nice if they reined it in a little bit.

23. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 15:52 Bhruic

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 15:23:
There is nooooo real reason that games have jumped from single core to quad core requirements in the last few years outside of shoddy, lazy, un-optimized game engines.

Perhaps you are confusing "requirement" with "recommended".

22. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 15:30 Beamer

Mastaba wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 15:27:
What nonsense descender,

He should be forced to make this his own signature.

-------------

21. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 15:27 Mastaba

What nonsense descender, I'd rather a game used my spare cores than leave them idling.  

20. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 15:23 descender

Bioshock2 had a refresh rate lock on it (who knows why, the first game didn't and no other UE3 games do...), so this can't be a day 1 purchase for me.

"unadulterated, full-resolution textures" - How long is it going to take to stream in that layer of textures? What does "full resolution" mean anyway? That's not a real thing.

"Hard Drive: 30 GB free"

This is a bigger deal than anything on this list.

19. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 14:52 AngelicPenguin

Cutter wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:43:
No one is buying this until the bargain bin anyway so it doesn't much matter what the specs are.

I'm guessing this is a joke I'm missing as Bioshock sold very well.

18. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 14:30 Verno

I emailed the CM to ask about GFWL, no response yet Both previous games have it so I'm not hopeful.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

17. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 14:28 nin

Ratty wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:15:
But will it require GFWL?

THAT is the question...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 13:52 Sempai

Cutter wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:43:
No one is buying this until the bargain bin anyway so it doesn't much matter what the specs are.

I can't tell if you're trying to be cute or extremely naive.

15. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 13:45 Beamer

-------------

14. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 13:43 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

13. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 13:34 Verno

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

12. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 13:19 Techie714

I have to agree with many of you, 5 years later & Crysis STILL looks better.  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

11. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 13:00 AngelicPenguin

Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:29:
What makes you think it won't look as good as Far Cry 3? Far Cry 3 doesn't even look that great. The interior lighting in particularly looks pretty bad and the SSAO implementations are pretty lousy too. From what I've seen, Infinite looks great (in terms of art style).

I don't have complaints on either one of them, visually. Both look fantastic.

The Infinite trailer certainly looked hard to pull off as an actual game, though. After Bioshock, though, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

10. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 12:54 AngelicPenguin

JayDeath wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:41:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:29:
What makes you think it won't look as good as Far Cry 3? Far Cry 3 doesn't even look that great. The interior lighting in particularly looks pretty bad and the SSAO implementations are pretty lousy too. From what I've seen, Infinite looks great (in terms of art style).

I have to agree. Call me crazy but I still think the original Crysis looks better and that's DirectX 10.

I don't think that's crazy at all - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agbTFdy3BTg

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo