Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs

Irrational Games has details about PC support in BioShock Infinite, their upcoming first-person shooter sequel. They discuss the ability to use the mouse and keyboard or one of three different setups for traitors using controllers. There are also details on graphics, including support for DirectX 11, noting that the game's "unadulterated, full-resolution textures" result in a three DVD installation, saying they "hope you will appreciate the jaw-dropping detail our amazing team of artists lavished on the game." This also reveals PC specifications, both minimum and recommended:

MINIMUM

• Processor: Intel Core 2 DUO 2.4 GHz / AMD Athlon X2 2.7 GHz
  • Memory: 2 GB
  • Hard Drive: 20 GB free
  • Video Card: DirectX10 Compatible ATI Radeon HD 3870 / NVIDIA 8800 GT / Intel HD 3000 Integrated Graphics
  • Video Card Memory: 512 MB
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

RECOMMENDED

• Processor: Quad Core Processor
  • Memory: 4 GB
  • Hard Drive: 30 GB free
  • Video Card: DirectX11 Compatible, AMD Radeon HD 6950 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
  • Video Card Memory: 1024 MB
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 17, 2013, 00:10 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 16:37:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 23:23:
From a technical standpoint, Crysis does have better graphics than FC3. The textures are much higher-res, the foliage is more lush and the environments are far more interactive (trees and shacks can be completely destroyed, most objects have physics, etc).
You are a better troll than me. I concede defeat.

Stating facts that conflict with your opinions makes me a troll? If you disagree with me, you should cite specific examples of where I'm wrong and support your argument with facts. Calling people trolls accomplishes nothing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 16, 2013, 16:37 theyarecomingforyou

From a technical standpoint, Crysis does have better graphics than FC3. The textures are much higher-res, the foliage is more lush and the environments are far more interactive (trees and shacks can be completely destroyed, most objects have physics, etc).
You are a better troll than me. I concede defeat.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

47. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 16, 2013, 15:22 nin

Sempai wrote on Jan 16, 2013, 15:20:
Good news everyone!

RT @fociz: @IGLevine if you tell me it will require GFWL i swear to God i will poke your fucking eye with my mouse finger. ---My eye is safe

Aaaaand preordering. Thank you.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

46. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 16, 2013, 15:20 Sempai

Good news everyone!

RT @fociz: @IGLevine if you tell me it will require GFWL i swear to God i will poke your fucking eye with my mouse finger. ---My eye is safe

45. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 16, 2013, 01:12 jdreyer

The fact that you automatically dismiss Infinite as "Yet Another UE3 Game" makes it hard to take you seriously. There are tons of UE3 games out there that have completely distinct visual styles. Mirror's Edge, Arkham City, Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored, Tribes Ascend, Mass Effect, Alice: Madness Returns, Borderlands, Deadlight, Lollipop Chainsaw, Mortal Kombat, Super Monday Night Combat, Asura's Wrath... if you honestly think these games all look the same, I'm not sure what to say.

You really should check out the latest Infinite screenshots if you haven't already: New screens

Exactly. This game looks fantastic, and UE3 hasn't been sitting idly by aging. Lots of new functionality has been added to it over the years. Comparing the Crysis engine to UE3 is like comparing a Professional DSLR to a Prosumer DLSR like the Rebel T4i. Yes, the pro one is a better camera, but most of whether you get a good shot or not depends on the person taking the picture. A good dev will be able to get a great product out of the older engine. Colonial Marines is UE3, but it looks worse graphically than the five year old Unreal Tournament 3.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

44. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 16, 2013, 00:40 StingingVelvet

I certainly remember Crysis looking better but I am willing to consider the idea that is nostalgia driven.  

43. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 16, 2013, 00:28 jdreyer

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 19:28:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 19:03:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:54:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agbTFdy3BTg
That's a great comparison. I find it amazing that anyone can watch that video and suggest that Crysis has better graphics than FC3, yet judging by the comments there clearly are people who believe that. I honestly don't understand it.

Dunno, I think the lighting looks more realistic in the crysis video. More natural. The far cry 3 one the colors look too bright/saturated.

I think they both look excellent, mind you.

Judging from the comments in the video, it looks like its split, so I certainly don't think I'm alone.

Also, look at the distance render. The islands in the distance in Crysis look like islands, in FC3 they look like blurry blobs of color. Up close, FC3 looks like it wins the foliage battle, but just barely and despite the oversaturated colors, but it's VERY close. And FC3 does have superior grass. So they both excel and fall down in different areas.

42. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 23:23 Jerykk

That's a great comparison. I find it amazing that anyone can watch that video and suggest that Crysis has better graphics than FC3, yet judging by the comments there clearly are people who believe that. I honestly don't understand it.

Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:24:
As a whole, FC3 is a nice-looking game but I wouldn't call it great-looking. I definitely don't think it looks better than Infinite based on what I've seen of both.
I can't take you seriously when you make comments like that.

Looking at the gameplay videos of Bioshock Infinite, like this one, it's clear it's not even close to FC3 / Crysis levels. It looks like Yet Another UE3 Game™. And the gameplay really doesn't look too hot either, especially not after games like Dishonored and FC3.

I really enjoyed Bioshock but this game just doesn't excite me as much as it should. The gameplay looks quite dated and far too scripted.

If we're talking about art direction, then FC3 is definitely more vibrant and vivid than Crysis, which was relatively desaturated. However, if we're talking purely about art direction, I have no idea how you can think FC3 looks better than Infinite. FC3 takes place in a relatively bland tropical environment. It looks nice but it's not particularly memorable, since a lot of games have used the same setting and visual style. Infinite's setting and art style are far more unique and memorable.

The fact that you automatically dismiss Infinite as "Yet Another UE3 Game" makes it hard to take you seriously. There are tons of UE3 games out there that have completely distinct visual styles. Mirror's Edge, Arkham City, Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored, Tribes Ascend, Mass Effect, Alice: Madness Returns, Borderlands, Deadlight, Lollipop Chainsaw, Mortal Kombat, Super Monday Night Combat, Asura's Wrath... if you honestly think these games all look the same, I'm not sure what to say.

You really should check out the latest Infinite screenshots if you haven't already: New screens

41. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 21:52 theyarecomingforyou

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 19:28:
Dunno, I think the lighting looks more realistic in the crysis video. More natural. The far cry 3 one the colors look too bright/saturated.
That's art direction more than graphics, though. FC3 is obviously over-exagerated but at the same time Crysis is over-subdued. However, look at the difference in foliage (appearance, detail, density), texture quality, lighting, etc - all of those favour FC3. I would say the lighting is much better in FC3 - if you jump to 24 secs in you see that Crysis has very flat lighting and FC3 has very much more varied more dynamic lighting (it's not just one scene though). In fact even most defenders of Crysis claim its lighting wasn't very good, whereas FC3 has strong dynamic lighting and a day/night cycle. Not that FC3 is perfect by any means, as the decision to blur out at extreme distance was terrible and it wasn't done for performance reasons, as manually disabling it improves performance - it was a design decision.

Even if you don't like the art style of FC3, it's a much more powerful and compelling engine than UE3, which is very dated now. And there are other much more impressive engines as well, like BF3. Even a lot of other UE3 games look better than BI, like Dishonored or Arkham City.

But as I said, graphics aren't my only concern with BI - the gameplay is easily my biggest concern.

40. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 20:32 wtf_man

pagb wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:29:
Intel HD 3000 Integrated Graphics
Yeah, sure

/ROFL

Yeah... the Intel HD 3000 doesn't even come close to the 8800 GT or the HD 3870.

Not super accurate, but shows how many tiers down the HD3000 is compared to the other cards: Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart

39. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 19:28 AngelicPenguin

I think they both look excellent, mind you.

Judging from the comments in the video, it looks like its split, so I certainly don't think I'm alone.

38. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 19:03 theyarecomingforyou

Jerykk wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:24:
As a whole, FC3 is a nice-looking game but I wouldn't call it great-looking. I definitely don't think it looks better than Infinite based on what I've seen of both.
I can't take you seriously when you make comments like that.

Looking at the gameplay videos of Bioshock Infinite, like this one, it's clear it's not even close to FC3 / Crysis levels. It looks like Yet Another UE3 Game™. And the gameplay really doesn't look too hot either, especially not after games like Dishonored and FC3.

I really enjoyed Bioshock but this game just doesn't excite me as much as it should. The gameplay looks quite dated and far too scripted.

37. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 18:52 Sempai

Technical issue's aside, Bioshock was a brilliant game. The sequel clearly wasn't the masterpiece the first was, but i spent many hours in that world and enjoyed every bit of it.

Levine is was of the finest minds in games development today, and Infinite will most surely be a hell of a ride.

I'm curious Cutter, what exactly do you look forward to in games? Is it the small indie's you respect and love, or is it the CoD's and BF's that excite you? Cause your statement's comes off as nothing more than a self righteous, self inflated, spoiled brat who hates just to hate.

I'm sure Levine and his crew will do their best to make it through the winter without your contribution to their cause.

36. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 18:49 Prez

I am still excited by Infinite. Under normal circumstances I could easily see paying full price for it barring any unforeseen disasters with DRM or poor QA testing. As any of my Steam friends who pays attention can attest to, having a backlog of games is normally no obstacle to me happily continuing on acquiring more games at a breakneck pace. It becomes harder to justify doing so, however, when the money situation gets a little hairy like it has for me in the last 8 to 12 months. So anything getting released in the next 6 months may well be put off to a Steam, Amazon, or GMG sale simply due to money and time constraints.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 18:16 AngelicPenguin

Cutter wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 17:59:
No, I wasn't joking. Seriously, is anyone going to really buy this at full price? I'm sure as shit not. I loved Bioshock. B2 was meh. This looks bleh.

I thought BioShock2 was made by a different developer, while the team that made BioShock moved on to work on BioShock Infinite.

34. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 18:15 WaltC

Art assets must giganormous and exceptionally varied, meaning we should see very little texture repetition throughout the game...and the heavy use of ram indicates they'll be doing a lot of texture preloading--which is fine by me as I'm in favor of any game that actually makes better use of my eight gigs...;)

One thing that encourages me about this game is that it really has not been overly promoted. Quarterly updates just to keep the game's name in the public venue are fine...it's the games that get splashed in our faces every other day that we have to watch with a great deal of skepticism until shipping day (eg, Diablo3, which I did not buy and never will because of its ridiculous always-on-line requirement made necessary by the game's design--40% client-side, 60% server-side(?) Horrors...What a disappointment that game turned out to be. Torchlight II, otoh, is tons of fun.)

This game has the potential to break like another Skyrim--if the game is just 75% as good as it looks...especially if it is released into a competitive vacuum. Hopefully Irrational has underplayed its cards so far as opposed to overplaying them!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

33. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 17:59 Cutter

No, I wasn't joking. Seriously, is anyone going to really buy this at full price? I'm sure as shit not. I loved Bioshock. B2 was meh. This looks bleh.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

32. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 17:41 AngelicPenguin

descender wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 17:14:
"I thought that was terrific that they were taking advantage of current hardware."

That is certainly one way of looking at it. Another way to look at it is... why did it run so poorly on your dual core cpu?

It all has to do with how the game is programmed. Some games only use the physical cores they assign threads to, some just report CPU needs to the OS and have the OS handle the load balancing.

Crysis 2 is actually a perfect example of a game that is not threaded properly. It uses 3 cores (because it's an x360 coded game at heart) and does some weird load balancing for any more than that.

I'll take your word for it using 3, which certainly seems plausible since it ran better on a quad core which has 3. I don't know how that translates to not being threaded properly, however. Unless you are an engine programmer and crack open the source code, I don't see how one can make that claim from the outside.

This seems a bit off topic from Bioshock Infinite though.

31. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 17:26 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:37:
Oh, it's on my list. After XCOM. And, probably, Homefront. I think those are my next two PC games, if only because I have them installed. XCOM I'm dying to play. Homefront... I got it for $3 and kind of want to see how bland it is. That's a game I expect to put about 2.5 hours into, and use its bland tastelessness to cleanse the palette between Borderlands 2 and anything else.

So Homefront serves the purpose that pickled ginger does at a sushi restaurant?

30. Re: BioShock Infinite PC Details & Specs Jan 15, 2013, 17:14 descender

"I thought that was terrific that they were taking advantage of current hardware."

That is certainly one way of looking at it. Another way to look at it is... why did it run so poorly on your dual core cpu?

It all has to do with how the game is programmed. Some games only use the physical cores they assign threads to, some just report CPU needs to the OS and have the OS handle the load balancing.

Crysis 2 is actually a perfect example of a game that is not threaded properly. It uses 3 cores (because it's an x360 coded game at heart) and does some weird load balancing for any more than that.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo