Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt

2K Games and Gearbox Software announce the release of Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt, the new DLC for the Windows and console editions of Borderlands 2, the role-playing shooter sequel. This is included for season pass holders, or available as a separate purchase for other owners of the game. Here's word on what this adds:

Sir Hammerlock’s Big Game Hunt takes place in Aegrus, the uncharted territory deep in the swamps of Pandora and features new appearances by familiar friends like Sir Hammerlock and Claptrap. It also introduces some all-new characters, like Hyperion Scientist Professor Nakayama, who wants nothing more than to derail your hunting trip. With Borderlands 2’s cheeky adventurer as their guide, vault hunters will explore the all-new environments of The Sun Swamps while on memorable quests to collect irresistible new loot and fight devastating new bosses, such as the cave-dwelling beast Thermitage. All the while, up to four friends will cooperatively hunt down new enemies such as the spider-like Two-Legged Drifters, flying Slagged Spores and insane Vampire Witch Doctors – that unleash swarms of blood-thirsty bats. Vault hunters beware: this is sure to be the most dangerous Borderlands hunt yet!

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt Jan 15, 2013, 11:06 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 10:56:
Butt Stallion is an unfunny thing that gets funny through repetition. "Oh, these pretzels suck" also makes me laugh. But he's all over the place in the early writing. At one point he just sums up a statement with "oh yeah, you're a bitch" and it just comes across as so uncreative for a guy that's given grandiose, creative speeches to that point. It wasn't like he was flustered, it was just bad writing.

That "oh, these pretzels suck" speech had me in stitches, especially when he added the whole "I bought a pony made of Diamonds. You know, because I'm RICH! So yeah." thing.

I actually thought the "Oh yeah, you're a bitch" thing was pretty funny, because he goes off on this entire tangent over how the people in New Haven (I believe) were trying to resist him with literally nothing, and he's dying with laughter in remembering it, until he suddenly realizes who he's talking to, and he just goes "oh yeah, and you're a bitch!"

Had they made it a big, grandiose speech at that point, it wouldn't have made sense given the bit that went before. Okay, sure, it wasn't the best speech he gave in the game, but I thought it worked.

I would have liked to have seen them play him more tragic, because the framework is there just unexploited, but as a whole he's definitely the most memorable villain I've seen in a video game in a long, long, long time.

Nah, I wouldn't have liked that. He's so miserably evil, and thus you can't wait until you finally get to kill him. If he was a tragic character, most of the humor wouldn't have worked, his outrageous evil bullshit wouldn't have worked, and, well, it kinda goes against the whole over-the-top thing of the game.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt Jan 15, 2013, 10:56 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 10:52:
Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 10:49:
In part due to a very memorable main villain (though some of his early dialogue is the bad kind of absurd.)

Butt Stallion DEMANDS you take that back, Sir!

Creston

Butt Stallion is an unfunny thing that gets funny through repetition. "Oh, these pretzels suck" also makes me laugh. But he's all over the place in the early writing. At one point he just sums up a statement with "oh yeah, you're a bitch" and it just comes across as so uncreative for a guy that's given grandiose, creative speeches to that point. It wasn't like he was flustered, it was just bad writing.

I would have liked to have seen them play him more tragic, because the framework is there just unexploited, but as a whole he's definitely the most memorable villain I've seen in a video game in a long, long, long time.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt Jan 15, 2013, 10:52 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 10:49:
In part due to a very memorable main villain (though some of his early dialogue is the bad kind of absurd.)

Butt Stallion DEMANDS you take that back, Sir!

Creston

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt Jan 15, 2013, 10:49 Beamer

avianflu wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 10:30:
Love the game but, truthfully, it is BL 1.5.

Not sure I need to see any of the DLC at this point when there are other games waiting

It's far less BL 1.5 than, say, Doom 2 was Doom 1.5.

It's overall a huge refinement, turning what was an above average game into a great one. In part due to a very memorable main villain (though some of his early dialogue is the bad kind of absurd.)

The reviews I've seen of this DLC is that it sucks, and that the Witch Doctors are the least fun things ever. The Torgue DLC is supposedly the best. I'm not overly interested in any of them, but would probably buy something raising the level cap if it came out in the next, oh, 5 days. After that I'll have moved on to other games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt Jan 15, 2013, 10:43 Verno

I'll revisit it later when all of the DLC is out. I was not a fan of the idea of them doing another round of DLC that the pass I bought I wouldn't cover though so I hope they don't go through with that.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt Jan 15, 2013, 10:36 Creston

I finished the pirate booty DLC, and was pretty underwhelmed. I realize it's "just more" of BL2, but it felt kinda cheap and flimsy. (And the music in it is just TERRIBLE.)

while on memorable quests to collect irresistible* new loot

* loot is very resistable, since it will never drop.

I hope the fourth one is set on the big H in the sky, otherwise I'm pretty well done with BL2 DLC.

Creston

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt Jan 15, 2013, 10:30 avianflu

Love the game but, truthfully, it is BL 1.5.

Not sure I need to see any of the DLC at this point when there are other games waiting

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo