Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial

The SEGA Blog offers a first look at an upcoming television commercial for Aliens: Colonial Marines, Gearbox's upcoming first-person shooter. I keep trying to watch, but after owning a DVR for years, I keep reflexively skipping to the end.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 16, 2013, 18:20 Flatline

@Wallshadows

I'm glad I'm not the only person who had the same issues. I'm normally not a stickler for plot continuity, but there seems to be a *lot* of holes in the concept.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 16, 2013, 06:18 Orphic Resonance

everybody loved AVP ... and that was it.. the rest of them sucked and this is no different

too bad that aliens RPG didnt make it.. much more potential there for survival, exploration, mazes, secrets, etc.

20. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 16, 2013, 00:25 SlimRam

Quinn wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 17:42:
My fucking god... appears there is some disgracing crap out there on the net.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R8rek4WU1s

It's almost like this shit was supposed to come out between AVP and AVP 2...

Jesus Jones, I was almost excited by this game but after seeing this video.....um....yeah no, not so much now. WTF? The comments below the clip pretty much cover how I felt watching this. There seems to be no suspence, no 'splash damage' from acid.....no....scariness. I adored the 1st AVP in 1999. When you played that shit in the dark, with your headphones on, it was kinda freaky (especially playing as the marine). It somehow put you in the game and I always remember the DREAD of trying to make it to the next objective. Obviously I haven't played this but...I just don't know if this game is going to make you 'feel' like you are there and in trouble?

Either way I hope it's good because I LOVE this universe *hopefully optimistic*

I'm bringing Sexy Back

Luckily, I kept the receipt

19. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 23:21 Wallshadows

@Flatline

1) I wondered this too. The first time we're able to see Hicks with his bandages is after he is on board the Sulaco and Ripley has rescued Newt but before she was aware that the Queen was onboard. The next scene with Hicks is when he is in the hypersleep tube but is fully bandaged but without a shirt and appears to be unconscious since they likely got him to medical.

So, either Bishop patched him up while Ripley was off saving Newt and made the call or he made the call after Ripley and Newt returned but only before the Queen was ejected in to space since it wouldn't really make sense to leave a distress to assume they're all KIA if he knew all of this information.

Last but not least on this particular issue, the USCM will only respond with a rescue pickup once a team is overdue by 17 days. In the game, however, they only respond to it 17 weeks after they get the distress signal. Something doesn't quite add up but I feel they'll use a big bad Company plot to explain it.

Either that or it's an incredibly huge error.

2) Hadley's Hope should have been obliterated. While there are likely structures still standing, I'm not sure how it would be in the state that's shown in CM unless it's another facility much further from HH.

3) Tin-foil hat thought is that the Company already sent a team to recover the crew on the Sulaco but even then, it's a stretch to wonder how the Aliens would have got there in the first place and without the Queen or her egg-laying apparatus, no eggs would have been stowed away and it's unclear as to how long a facehugger would be able to survive outside an egg. If a facehugger had time to sneak on board the Sulaco, doing so when Ripley and Newt boarded the dropship towards the end would be the best time for it to do so but I still kind of remain skeptical about this.

The long, implausible explanation would be that a facehugger snuck on board the Sulaca by way of the dropship, a second team was sent to investigate after the 17 days, they got fucked up, new Queen and Xenos populate the Sulaco and now the Company wants another go at it with more troops to return a live sample. This is where the 17 weeks later thing would kick in.

4) My understanding is that a fire or malfunction occurred and caused the Sulaco to jettison the hypersleep capsules which had life signs. It just happened to be near Fury 161. Alien 3 suggests that a facehugger is what caused this but that leads me back to the above dilemma although as CM is billed as a tie in between Aliens and Alien 3, it might be explained?

I'm going to reserve judgement on the overall story and plot until I play the game but the more I think about it, the more it feels as though a lot of compromises were made in order to shoehorn this title and that we, the fans, will likely be asked for a certain amount of suspension of disbelief in order for it to work. I hope I'm wrong and it turns out great or at least enjoyable but this is going to be the make or break for me and Gearbox.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2013, 23:37.

18. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 18:27 Flatline

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 17:47:
Quinn wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 17:31:
Anyway, yeah. Don't buy it, man. It will suck.

Like I said, I don't necessarily think otherwise. Gearbox made one of my top whatever of 2012 (Borderlands 2 really is fun), and the little bit I've watched of this has gotten me a bit excited (solely for seeing imagery I have fond memories of), but I don't know much about this game and don't really have high expectations.

I just think the TV reasoning was bad. Just about any other is fine. I get why people have a bad feeling about this. I'm ok with heavily scripted corridor shooters (what people now call "on rails," which I think is a pretty incorrect categorization), but aside from the license I don't see anything special about this one yet, and a corridor shooter with nothing special is bound to be dull.

Now if they had come out and said they were using the frostbite 2 engine and the alien blood would degrade terrain real-time, my interest might have been perked. A falling apart Hadley's Hope would seem to be perfect for real-time destruction.

17. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 17:47 Beamer

Quinn wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 17:31:

Like I said, I don't necessarily think otherwise. Gearbox made one of my top whatever of 2012 (Borderlands 2 really is fun), and the little bit I've watched of this has gotten me a bit excited (solely for seeing imagery I have fond memories of), but I don't know much about this game and don't really have high expectations.

I just think the TV reasoning was bad. Just about any other is fine. I get why people have a bad feeling about this. I'm ok with heavily scripted corridor shooters (what people now call "on rails," which I think is a pretty incorrect categorization), but aside from the license I don't see anything special about this one yet, and a corridor shooter with nothing special is bound to be dull.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 17:42 Quinn

My fucking god... appears there is some disgracing crap out there on the net.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R8rek4WU1s

It's almost like this shit was supposed to come out between AVP and AVP 2...

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

15. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 17:33 Flatline

I wanna know when Hicks had the opportunity to broadcast an SOS. Couldn't have been *on* the planet, the window between Hicks getting his acidic face bath and the end of the movie are fairly narrow. Once back aboard the Sulaco, he'd have filed a report, and they got into hypersleep figuring the Sulaco would be heading home, and the nest itself was vaporized and the queen blown out an airlock. Case closed. If they were waiting for a ride home from backup, why go to hypersleep for 17 days (as referenced in the script)?

Also, I thought that the atmo processor was supposed to vaporize a 30 kilometer area, which would have wiped out Hadley's Hope.

And why are there dead bodies on the Sulaco? Bishop, Ripley, Newt, and Hicks are *it* on the ship. Bishop gets ripped in 2, Ripley and Newt aren't in fatigues, and that leaves Hicks, who I thought was the host of the alien in Alien 3 (I always wanted to know how the f*ck an egg got onto the dropship when the queen left her egg-laying bits behind anyway and barely had any time to get on the dropship, but I digress, Alien 3 sucked for me).

Not to mention that the Sulaco was on it's way home at the end of Aliens...

Jesus christ I'm not one of those hyper-sticklers for plot accuracy, but it looks like they had to rewrite major parts of the second movie's plot to make way for this game.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2013, 17:41.

14. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 17:31 Quinn

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:35:
Quinn wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:21:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 15:54:
And how many game commercials these days actually show IN-GAME anything? Typically it's a CGI cut scene.

My point is that you have to hire a detective to find any gameplay footage of the game. Bad sign.

Game will suck.

People keep looking for signs where there aren't any.
"It isn't DX11, it will suck." So many exceptions to that rule.
"There isn't enough in-game footage in the preorder commercial, it will suck!" Here's the Deus Ex: HR commercial. Arguably the best game of last year, and that commercial is not only lacking gameplay footage but it isn't even in-game footage. At least this is clearly in-game.

yada-yada *snip*

You used my quote to make your point so I felt you were mostly addressing me. I've never mentioned the DX11 reason. That reason is such an amazing airstrike of BULLSHIT that I never gotten myself into that conversation anyway. Also, I wasn't just talking about the commercial. It's indeed common that commercials do not contain any gameplay footage.

Why I claim that this game will suck is because of shear experience. There are subtle little signs people "like us" should be able to pick up to draw said prediction. Some which you can't really put your finger on, some which you can. Like the fact there's hardly any gameplay footage; it will be an Alien zerg-fest; they invent big, rhino-Aliens that bash through junkyards.... And then there's the "feeling" I can't put my finger on.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

13. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 17:16 eRe4s3r

Commercials for TV.. ok .. but DX HR had an absolutely AWESOME soundtrack for the promo videos..

Maybe you still remember this ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVKkFx94hls (not DX HR, because everyone knows the trailer of that ,p)

Also I think it's a total farce Deus EX HR never won "best soundtrack" awards, because that game had the best soundtrack of the decade.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2013, 17:26.

12. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 16:38 LittleMe

Been enjoying the BR of Aliens lately. Such a classic movie. Too bad this game will probably suck.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

11. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 16:35 Beamer

Quinn wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:21:
And how many game commercials these days actually show IN-GAME anything? Typically it's a CGI cut scene.

My point is that you have to hire a detective to find any gameplay footage of the game. Bad sign.

Game will suck.

People keep looking for signs where there aren't any.
"It isn't DX11, it will suck." So many exceptions to that rule.
"There isn't enough in-game footage in the preorder commercial, it will suck!" Here's the Deus Ex: HR commercial. Arguably the best game of last year, and that commercial is not only lacking gameplay footage but it isn't even in-game footage. At least this is clearly in-game.

I am not denying that this game may suck. I've seen nothing proving otherwise. Just saying that the proof some bring is meaningless. Very few game commercials have footage. That isn't the purpose of game commercials. There's plenty of gameplay footage out there if you want to see it, but the commercials that have gotten the most acclaim and attention have never had gameplay footage. Lame? Maybe. Blame consumers if you want, but these things are designed to get people to go to the internet to look for more information.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 16:21 Quinn

Game will suck.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

9. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 15:54 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 14:11 Shataan

Well hopefully peeps will love the thing, warts and all. Tbh, the commercial craps all over the Pre order trailer from great heights.  

7. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 14:03 Quinn

Wallshadows wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 12:48:
For being billed as a sequel to the events that occurred in Aliens, they really butchered the room layout of the Engineer. Unless it's a new one but then I'll feel like I am playing Prometheus instead.

See, I made a pretty awesome comparison. Don't hate at my awesome lines and arrows.

Very ambitious of you!

However, I think the context is that they transported the whole thing to some marine base. It sure as hell looks like it! If that is not the case... well, then it goes without saying how much I agree with you.

PS: This game will suck.

PPS: Making the commercial prolly started after this -->

"Anything we need to keep in mind while making the commercial?"
"Uhh, nope. JUST make sure you don't show any gameplay 'cause then we're done for."
"No shit..."

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

6. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 13:53 Cutter

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:17:
JayDeath wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:14:
I just hope it's not another 'on rails' mess.

its definitely on rails.. heavily scripted and all that

People doing 8-balls of coke are less on rails than this game.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 13:17 Orphic Resonance

JayDeath wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 13:14:
I just hope it's not another 'on rails' mess.

its definitely on rails.. heavily scripted and all that

4. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 13:14 JayDeath

It looks pretty good. I just hope it's not another 'on rails' mess.

Steam: BenRichards

3. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 12:48 Wallshadows

For being billed as a sequel to the events that occurred in Aliens, they really butchered the room layout of the Engineer. Unless it's a new one but then I'll feel like I am playing Prometheus instead.

See, I made a pretty awesome comparison. Don't hate at my awesome lines and arrows.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo