Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 20:57 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 14:22:
ldonyo wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 09:34:
Every time I see an article on games being 'lost' on XBLA it's always based on comments from a developer whose game isn't selling very well. Maybe it's the game and not XBLA.

It is a pain in the ass to navigate and find stuff, if you're not sure what you're after...

The new Metro dashboard is fucking terrible. I want to burn it with fire.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 20:15 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:47:
How closely does the XBLA UI offer the functionality of Steam? The Steam UI, while far from perfect, does a pretty good job of highlighting games on special in multiple locations: splash page, sales page, specials page, wish list, etc. The cream doesn't always float to the top on Steam, but a lot of it does.

It does a shit job and I've heard that Microsoft takes promotional spots out of your bottom line. Steam does a fantastic job, everyone opted in gets the steam adverts once per login, it has a top sellers and top played list, it has genre breakdowns each with their own landing and it has many additional spots for promotion through out the interface. During sales all of the spots are free and randomly rotated. Steam doesn't charge devs to patch or any of that nonsense, your costs all upfront. Many XBLA devs have talked about how their profit got eaten by Microsofts expenses, it sounds like a Hollywood accounting operating over there sometimes.

Steam did it right, XBLA is like the manual on wrong.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 16:56 Beamer

jdreyer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 16:47:
How closely does the XBLA UI offer the functionality of Steam? The Steam UI, while far from perfect, does a pretty good job of highlighting games on special in multiple locations: splash page, sales page, specials page, wish list, etc. The cream doesn't always float to the top on Steam, but a lot of it does.

I think Steam does a poor job of conveying quality, too.

But it's easier to see gameplay movies, and to see what's trending. In truth, about 90% of my more random Steam purchases are word of mouth from here, not due to any kind of promotion of visual appeal on Steam - it's all from what I hear here. And then I end up hating some of it, being bored by some of it, and absolutely adoring some of it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 16:47 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 14:31 Verno

Every time I see an article on games being 'lost' on XBLA it's always based on comments from a developer whose game isn't selling very well. Maybe it's the game and not XBLA.

There's too many of them to ignore though, these things seem to crop up every month.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 14:27 Beamer

nin wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 14:22:

It is a pain in the ass to navigate and find stuff, if you're not sure what you're after...

Of course something lost is something not selling well, too. If it's selling well it isn't lost.

Navigating the indies section is impossible. No way to judge quality, and the time you put in is never worth the reward.

The XBLA section became the same way. A new game a week seemed like a trickle when it started, but soon became overwhelming. While there are some excellent games (Shadow Complex is a must-buy), it became hard to keep up with. I haven't been to that section in well over a year, though I occasionally play some of my old purchases (which are probably never discounted.)

Not certain the solution, but the current implementation is clearly a failure. Well, I guess I haven't seen sales stats so I can't say that, but I just assume that if I find it overwhelming and annoying most people do, and you never really hear talk about it anymore. The occasional game gets buzz, like Fez or Spelunky (actually, I bought Spelunky, so I guess I have been there recently), but as a whole the enormous buzz it had in 2009 disappeared.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 14:22 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 09:34 ldonyo

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 09:33 Verno

XBLA is a lost cause at this point, I'm not surprised so many devs are jumping ship to the PC where they can get free promotion within Steam as well as free support tools and no costs associated with title updates. XBLA just isn't a good platform for indies anymore and Microsoft's tight fisted monetization of the platform at large means it probably won't ever be again.  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo