Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots

A post from Friday on ValveTime.net has screenshots from "Return to Ravenholm," allegedly a new Half-Life 2 episode being developed as HL2 Episode Four by Arkane Studios before the project was cancelled. They say this was in the works between 2006 and 2007. Valve has yet to comment on this, hopefully because they are so hard at work on Episode Three. Thanks VG247.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 16, 2013, 00:19 El Pit

It all makes sense!

Valve = the company
Steam = the online software shop
Vaporware = the games they're working on, especially Half-Life (Episode) 3

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 16:39 Dev

Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 14:36:
Valve aren't hurting for money. How hard would it be to knock out another episode? It's not like episode 1 and 2 were THAT amazing.

Of course, that time has passed. It would be near impossible to satisfy any of us now unless episode 3 was titled "HL3".
Its not the difficulty factor thats the problem. The problem is lack of management to push things along. Plus, right now the employees are finding other things more interesting and fun to work on... such as TF2 hats, or a 3d interface, or wearable computers, or a steambox.

22. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 14:36 Dmitri_M

Valve aren't hurting for money. How hard would it be to knock out another episode? It's not like episode 1 and 2 were THAT amazing.

Of course, that time has passed. It would be near impossible to satisfy any of us now unless episode 3 was titled "HL3".

21. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 08:54 Krizzen

Maybe Gabe Newell is pulling a George Lucas. Episode 4 will be on old tech, but they're saving Episode 3 to take advantage of new technological advances to show it in it's full glory.

Or something like that.

No seriously, WTF?

20. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 08:36 nin

Fantaz wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 05:57:
2013 marks the 10 year anniversary of when Half-Life 2 was (supposed to be) released.

Aaaand we're old...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 07:43 El Pit

Gabe calls Arkane Studios

Gabe: Guys, anything new on Episode 4? Guess not.
Arkane: Well, we got a prealpha that we're playing right now.
Gabe: YOU... GOT... WHAT?!
Arkane: Just a first build we're fooling around with. It's nice. We got some new ideas, some new textures, ideas for additions to the hud and the gameplay...
Gabe: STOP IT! NOW!
Arkane: Why? What the hell? What's the problem? How's Episode 3 doing?
Gabe: Episode 3? We don't feel it, dude. And if we don't feel it, we can't do it. But within just 15 months, we decided which new hats we're going to create for TF2 within the next 5 years.
Arkane: Guys, really, what are you doing? What about Episode 3?
Gabe: Now, now, now, don't put the pressure on us, will you? There is no episode 3! Keep this bad stress, we don't want it!
*In the background, a sitar starts playing and people murmuring OM can be heard.
Gabe: Oh, shit, it's guru meditation time! Sorry, guys, gotta leave! Can't miss it! Oh, and forget about Episode 4. If we don't feel like doing Episode 3, what should Episode 4 be good for. It sounds rushed, anyways.
Arkane: It's not rushed, we're simply focussed on this develp-...
Gabe: Bro, sorry, you sound like too much stress. Know what? I hereby declare Episode 4 DEAD. See? No more stress, no more pressure. Bye, and please don't call again!
*Hangs up*

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

18. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 05:57 Fantaz

2013 marks the 10 year anniversary of when Half-Life 2 was (supposed to be) released.  

17. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 03:16 Evil Timmy

Valve has definitely been more interested in consoles since The Orange Box did well for them, and they'd be stupid not to target the PS4/X720 with any major update to Source. As a gamer, I'd also be happy to not see 75% of the triple-A titles be mottled grey-brown Unreal Engine 4 games, especially on the Xbox side of the fence, because that already happened with UE3. More like Smears of Bore, amirite?! But, seriously, the small drab levels with chest-height barriers that I get to COWER behind for a third of the game are not where I thought shooters would be, playing Deus Ex over a decade ago.

Since the prices I've seen floating around have all been in the $700+ plus range for the Steambox/Piston/whatever, it's not so much competition for the new generation of consoles as an easy way to get a living-room-friendly device that bridges the gap between powerful desktop and dead-simple console. They seem to be driving for that gap, targeting a younger generation that has seen consoles expand hugely in what they can do, and who wants even more than that, as their tastes and pocketbooks have grown. Seeing as LCD screens are pretty much everywhere now (I'm thinking of installing a third in the toilet bowl, the first two just don't let me absorb enough media in the 48 seconds I spend a day peeing), the idea of a small, portable gaming device that's also a powerful-enough PC, that I can plug in almost anywhere I go...that sounds pretty appealing. Now if only they could attach a screen to it and let me place it somewhere comfortable and convenient, like my lap...

16. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 03:14 Reckless

I know I don't fit the majority but I hate episodic gaming and Valve have been without doubt the worst (big sell, poor delivery). I never bothered to purchase EP1/2 as I foolishly thought I'd pick them all up and play it as one long game. HL2 is too long ago for me to even care.  

15. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 03:08 Dev

WATCH OUT! That valvetime.net site is infected! (probably the ads)
My antivirus is going nuts when I go to the valvetime.net site.
(probably all the traffic some script kiddie saw his chance)

The episode 4 thing I think is made up.

This link has more details:
www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/14/wuh-valve-had-arkane-working-on-episode-4

If you RTFA on the RPS link, sounds like it was meant to be ep 2.3

Return to Ravenholm was to be a standalone episode set between Episode 2 and Episode 3 that Arkane were working on as far back as 2006, and would bring the players back to the wrecked, zombified mining town.
[...]
the fact that it would have to take place sometime before the end of Episode 2 (so as not to advance beyond where Valve had pushed the story)

14. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 02:16 Draugr

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 00:49:
A Steam Box isn't a console though... it's basically an HTPC. It runs PC games on Linux or Windows. It will probably have low-mid end standardized parts in it, but the warped mainstream definition of "next-gen" doesn't apply at all.

True. It's not going to be strictly a console but they are trying to compete in the same area (and they've talked about them being highly modular, so as to allow for upgrading, but that's totally off topic.) They aren't going to do anything to push their competitors devices. Even disregarding their hardware ambitions there would still really be no reason to think they'll be tying any news to Microsoft's and Sony's future announcements.

Developers have already shown off 'next gen' stuff. Waiting for them to officially announce new consoles isn't really something devs do, (unless there is some exclusivity tied to it.) so why would Valve? Especially when they really haven't been involved heavily in the console scene, and they will be releasing their own competing hardware soon.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2013, 02:36.

13. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 00:49 jacobvandy

A Steam Box isn't a console though... it's basically an HTPC. It runs PC games on Linux or Windows. It will probably have low-mid end standardized parts in it, but the warped mainstream definition of "next-gen" doesn't apply at all.  

12. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 15, 2013, 00:05 Draugr

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 22:50:
I really don't think (or should I say, really hope) Valve is NOT basing their development timelines on the new consoles. The most obvious reason being they won't even catch up to current generation hardware, let alone contain anything from the next...

Seems a bit silly to me, especially if you consider they are trying to roll out a steam box. There would just be no reason to time it to some companies hardware like that, Epic and others have already begun to roll out videos of their new engines n stuff.

I'm sure when it comes to source2 they have their own reasons as to why they aren't talking about it yet. (Then again, when does valve discuss anything?)

11. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 14, 2013, 23:47 John

Rigs wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 21:05:
So we here news of Episode 4 before anything on Episode 3? Fascinating...
Yeah it's interesting that they had someone working on an Episode 4 when they never even did Ep3.

This space is available for rent

10. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 14, 2013, 23:15 Silicon Avatar

I've sort of forgotten about Half Life now. I was really pumped for HL2, loved it, played it multiple times, bought the DLC, and then... Waited. Now I'm just sort of indifferent to news about it because they never do anything.

9. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 14, 2013, 22:50 jacobvandy

I really don't think (or should I say, really hope) Valve is NOT basing their development timelines on the new consoles. The most obvious reason being they won't even catch up to current generation hardware, let alone contain anything from the next...  

8. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 14, 2013, 22:21 Undead Scottsman

Valve has mentioned Source2 is a next generation engine. I wouldn't expect to hear anything regarding future Half-Life titles until at least we get a new console announcement from Sony or Microsoft. Even then, 6-12 months afterwards is probably likely.

Any later than that, and I go become a Halo fanboy or something.

7. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 14, 2013, 22:10 Beelzebud

I wish Valve would at least give a status update as to what exactly is (or isn't) being worked on in regards to the HL series.

I know the cool kids all act like it's an outdated game that no one cares about anymore, but I personally am still eager for more.

6. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 14, 2013, 22:00 Drayth

There was mention in interviews around the pre-episode 2 days('ish) of a non-valve Episode 4. I'm surprised it even got this far.  

5. Re: Half-Life 2: Return to Ravenholm Screenshots Jan 14, 2013, 21:55 Cutter

Doesn't really much matter at this point.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo