Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman

Chris Taylor and Gas Powered Games announce Wildman, an upcoming cross between an action/RPG and a real-time strategy game they say will offer "a brand new and unique gaming experience." The game is the subject of a Kickstarter that seeks to raise at least $1.1 million to develop the game, and the page includes this video featuring Chris and the team discussing the game and showing off some concept artwork. Here's word on the game:

Imagine a game where you control a single hero unit—the “Wildman”—in the middle of a raging battle between opposing forces in a specially designed War Zone. You engage the enemy and see your opponent switching tactics, forcing you to reconfigure your army to counter. You push the enemy back to their base before facing your opponent’s champion. Over the course of this battle, you upgrade your armies with new technology, execute special abilities, construct defenses, change your army composition, and shape-shift into new forms that grant you new abilities. This is Wildman.

Now imagine that between these War Zone battles you can go on role-playing adventures. You can explore fantastical environments. You can discover ancient dungeons full of mystery and treasure. You can earn new skills. You can discover and equip new weapons and armor. You can collect materials. You can craft new items. You can fight relentless onslaughts of men and monsters. This is also Wildman.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 15, 2013, 10:47 Creston

Saboth wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 18:11:
It should be all gritty and stuff. Let's call it. "Soldier Fighter: Future of Warfare".

Soldier Fighter: Call of Future Warfare.
- Marketing dept.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 15, 2013, 10:46 Creston

Julio wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 17:47:
Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 17:18:
Hmmmm... sounds sorta intriguing, but...No.

Agreed. You can take a dump, and you can also eat a sandwich. Putting the two things together doesn't make them better.

That should win the Analogy of the Week award.

But that's really not my main issue with it. Battlezone did something similar, and it was quite a fun game to play.

No, my big problem with it is Chris Taylor, who really hasn't made anything worthwhile since SupCom.

Creston

26. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 20:42 Cutter

Julio wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 17:47:

Agreed. You can take a dump, and you can also eat a sandwich. Putting the two things together doesn't make them better.

Shark sandwich?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 19:05 Darks

2nd_floor wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 18:11:
What happened to Kings and Castles, and crazy chickens that were supposed to be in it? (a fan asked for chickens that do something at one point, to be in the game, and CT said yes they woul beincluded).

Seriously, why is this game ,( kings and castles) still on hold indef.?

It’s still there; they just need to get some money going to support the game. If you think it’s easy getting anyone to buy off on supporting a game anymore think again. It’s not. Publishers are not putting out the money. They are using in-house now and supporting from within. Smaller developers like GPG has to do whatever they can just to keep afloat.

Personally I will support them; it looks like it could be a fun smashed the hell out of everything type game.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

24. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 18:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Like most, I'm a bit ARPG'd out at this point, especially with Grim Dawn and open PoE on the horizon.

However,

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 15:53:
Uber Entertainment already Kickstarted the new SupCom, it's called Planetary Annihilation.

GG. I had not heard of this, and it looks like they far exceeded their funding. Hopefully that game turns out alright, in the NEAR future.

23. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 18:11 Saboth

ldonyo wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 16:34:
Translation: We couldn't get a publisher to bite, so we're going the Kickstarter route to see just how gullible gamers with money really are.

Or: "We're not interested if it isn't an IP that has been driven into the ground. Have anything else? How about a game where you are on a squad of soldiers that fights other squads of soldiers...you upgrade your guy to buy new weapons, and if you get kills, you can get special perks...lets call them "power ups". It should be all gritty and stuff. Let's call it. "Soldier Fighter: Future of Warfare".

22. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 18:11 2nd_floor

What happened to Kings and Castles, and crazy chickens that were supposed to be in it? (a fan asked for chickens that do something at one point, to be in the game, and CT said yes they woul beincluded).

Seriously, why is this game ,( kings and castles) still on hold indef.?

21. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 17:50 Kosh401

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 16:05:
Uber Entertainment already Kickstarted the new SupCom, it's called Planetary Annihilation.

Thank you, sir, for that link. I had no idea such potential awesomeness was coming.

20. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 17:47 Julio

19. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 17:18 Creston

Hmmmm... sounds sorta intriguing, but...

No.

Creston

18. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 17:16 StingingVelvet

The cagey words on Steam support and the selling mods line makes me think they want to have an in-game store and aren't sure about Steam's reaction to that.

Anyway, looks like a game I would buy but I'm not enthusiastic enough about it to donate yet. See how it goes.

17. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 17:11 jdreyer

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 16:05:

Anyway, I do like GPG titles (despite the super meh Space Siege, which was their last ARPG), so $20 to help them make a new one without a publisher is worth it IMO. Doesn't matter that they *could* get it funded the traditional way, the point is to avoid the bullshit strings that get attached...

Hmm, good points. I may reconsider.

EDIT: I did Kickstart Planetary Annihilation. Stoked for that.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

16. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 17:06 dj LiTh

After Demigod and Age of Empires Online, i have absolutely no faith in Chris Taylor anymore.  

15. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 16:49 Cutter

Krizzen wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 15:38:
Wow great find. Here's a huge tangent, but that Wildman voice sounds like Sebastian Bach.

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wEhZqLiQ60&feature=player_detailpage#t=759s

Good catch, Wildman was indeed voiced by SB.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

14. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 16:47 Yakubs

Sounds like they're spreading themselves a little thin with the game design here. Particularly this idea of there being things to do between "War Zone battles." So, between the core mode of the game, we're playing a watered down Dungeon Siege game (if that's even possible)?  

13. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 16:34 ldonyo

Translation: We couldn't get a publisher to bite, so we're going the Kickstarter route to see just how gullible gamers with money really are.  

12. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 16:27 Orphic Resonance

"a brand new and unique gaming experience."

so its nothing like Savage? ot Battlezone? because it sure sounds that way

11. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 16:21 DangerDog

If all these KS games get released at the same time March 2014 is going to be like Christmas.  

10. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 16:05 jacobvandy

This looks pretty cool, and I love Chris Taylor's RTSs. I won't KS this though. This seems pretty obvious, and likely to have wide appeal: combining RTS and ARPG elements into a single gameplay experience. I do appreciate they're building in mod tools, but they should have no problem getting a publisher to fund this.

What I'd really like to see is from Chris, and that I WOULD KS are:

1. Another SupCom
2. SupCom: Kingdoms
3. An FPS/RTS hybrid along the lines of the 1998 Battlezone].

Anyway, I do like GPG titles (despite the super meh Space Siege, which was their last ARPG), so $20 to help them make a new one without a publisher is worth it IMO. Doesn't matter that they *could* get it funded the traditional way, the point is to avoid the bullshit strings that get attached...

9. Re: Gas Powered Games Announces Wildman Jan 14, 2013, 15:53 jdreyer

This looks pretty cool, and I love Chris Taylor's RTSs. I won't KS this though. This seems pretty obvious, and likely to have wide appeal: combining RTS and ARPG elements into a single gameplay experience. I do appreciate they're building in mod tools, but they should have no problem getting a publisher to fund this.

What I'd really like to see is from Chris, and that I WOULD KS are:

1. Another SupCom
2. SupCom: Kingdoms
3. An FPS/RTS hybrid along the lines of the 1998 Battlezone.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo