Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Edge: Valve, Mojang "Greatest Developers"

Edge Online teases how issue 250 of Edge Magazine lists the 50 greatest videogame developers in their estimation. They don't offer the list online (you have to pay for this sort of opinion), but notch spills the beans that Valve is number one as part of his incredulity that Mojang is number two, tweeting: "#2? Really? One released game and almost no proven track record. Great honor, of course, but no. ;)"

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

24. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 13:30 jdreyer

In defense of EDGE, this is top developers of 2012, not of all time. That being said, I don't think that Minecraft has really done much more than improve incrementally since release, so I'm not sure Mojang deserves the #2 spot. Somewhere on the list, for sure, but not 2.

Here's the FULL LIST for people who are interested. Top 10:

1. Valve
2. Mojang
3. Nintendo EAD
4. Platinum Games
5. Naughty Dog
6. Rockstar North
7. Bungie
8. FromSoftware
9. Arkane Studios
10. Riot Games

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 13:22 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 12:47:
But today I would no longer put my sign under "HL2 is a good FPS" (based on today). I think newer shooters, especially Farcry 3, Battlefield 3 and Borderlands 2 have jaded me... I mean look at 2 minutes of gameplay in HL2 - Episode 1 and then look at 2 minutes of random gameplay of a MP match in BF3. That is a difference of nearly a decade
There's also this thing called the difference between SP and MP.

22. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 13:18 netnerd85

Mojang have made ONE game. It's good, great even yes but ONE game. Agree with the man himself.

Vavle made ONE game that was great in the 90's (Half Life in case you didn't know). Portal 2 was fun coop but far from great. L4D is crap. HL2 was beyond disappointing.

Whatever. Popularity contest crap.

21. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 12:58 Prez

I agree with Notch on this one. No freaking way he's number 2. As far as Valve being number one - I can kind of see it, but they wouldn't have been my pick. Portal 2 was great, but besides that they haven't really released much of any merit in a loong time. Making a cash shop and new hats for their free-to-play shooter doesn't count in my book.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

20. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 12:48 Cutter

Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 10:21:
Something tells me that Edge magazine googled "game developers" and just put whoever popped up first as #1, and just went down the line that way.

I don't even agree with Valve being #1. I suspect it's because of the success of Steam, but that shouldn't count towars their devs status. The last thing they released has been Portal 2, and since then they've been puttering around with DoTa2. There have been several devs with a more impressive release schedule than that.

Creston

Yep. Obviously another list compiled by some non-gamer.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

19. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 12:48 Esoteric

I know it's a "greatest developer" title, but I think one must also consider all the "side" things Valve does, like release Source Film Maker for free (which is an awesome tool), all their games are incredibly moddable, letting fans who make the mods/items make a lot of money, they do Free To Play done right, Steam Workshop integrates mods in other games in an easy to use manner, Big Picture Mode, The International tournament, pushing Linux/Linux client, cloud services, lowers the price on their games quickly, etc. They do a lot of little things right and I think it adds up to a lot.  

18. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 12:47 eRe4s3r

I think that basically sums up why there is indeed no Half-Life 3. They ran the universe into a creative dead-end with the 2 extra episodes. I mean, Half-Life 2 as such was OK, i would not be tired of it had there not been Episode 1 and 2 with 0 changes to the formula.

But today I would no longer put my sign under "HL2 is a good FPS" (based on today). I think newer shooters, especially Farcry 3, Battlefield 3 and Borderlands 2 have jaded me... I mean look at 2 minutes of gameplay in HL2 - Episode 1 and then look at 2 minutes of random gameplay of a MP match in BF3. That is a difference of nearly a decade

I don't mean gameplay as much as the "feel" ... ah I dunno.. I just don't feel like playing Half-Life 2.5 .. if they make a new HL game, it better be damn awesome.

17. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 12:39 StingingVelvet

Valve being number one is a little weird but I can't think of anyone better really. There are some excellent Montreal studios but none of them are as old or consistent as Valve.

Mojang... I agree with Notch.

16. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 12:18 Signatus

nin wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 09:43:
At this point, I'd give Valve a lot more props for steam than I would their games. While (the games are) still good, their release schedule ends up being once in a blue moon...

They have some interviews with Valve people, one being Gabe, and they tease around the notion that Valve is probably less of a Game Developer than it is something else (online retailer, hardware developer, piece of equipment to close up pipes). But reading their "reasoning" to the choices, it seems both Valve and Mojang have landed top spots for innovating and moving gaming in general forward.

But as with every list, it's subjective to one's opinion, I would surely put Obsidian in the list (which I don't think it was) instead of some other devs.

15. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 12:08 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 11:44:

and I agree with Beamer, I think I am positively 100% tired of the entire HL2 universe. I hope HL3 won't even feature Gordon Freeman or those god annoying zombies. After Ravenholm I was absolutely done with these zombies. totally, utterly, done.

I wouldn't say I'm entirely tired of the universe. Valve tends to be pretty innovative, and I think they'd spin the universe in a way I found intriguing.

But I'm certainly not dying to go back to it. There's little I can think of that I'm up for. Gaming styles and conventions have changed so much since HL2, and like with Duke Nukem, I'm not dying for a return and some serious changes would need to be made. I don't mean modern shooter crap, I just mean the universe no longer feels vibrant to me.

I think it may be that Borderlands 2 cribbed a bit from HL2 and feels more lively (8 years can do that.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 11:56 Dev

When I RTFA I realized it was NOT ep 4. It was ep 2.5

Return to Ravenholm was to be a standalone episode set between Episode 2 and Episode 3 that Arkane were working on as far back as 2006, and would bring the players back to the wrecked, zombified mining town.

Thing is, if valve decided it should bring players back, that means ep 3 will be in it and this was done as a transitional thing.

13. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 11:52 Dev

I agree notch, a single best seller (followed with a bunch of weird crap like a collectible card game in a saturated market) does not a greatest developer make.  

12. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 11:51 ItBurn

We have some Edge magazines at work. They are the worst garbage I've ever seen. Written by non-gamers.  

11. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 11:49 HoSpanky

Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 11:28:
Speaking of Valve...

.. what?

Creston

Heh. The head crab playing around with a decapitated head was worth following that link for.

10. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 11:46 s1mon75

Valve? Except for Halflife 1 and 2, all their games are reiterations of other peoples games or mods. Blizzard? Same deal, great developer but mostly their games are rehashed ideas from other games.

Valve is responsible for 'saving' PC gaming with Steam and its, in my opinion, the best DRM currently out there.

But hey, we cant all agree who should be #1, right?

9. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 11:44 eRe4s3r

Was there an Episode 3 ? It's been so long I can't even remember. HL2 came out in 2004.... nearly a decade to Half-Life 3.. that is not good. And these episodes felt rather lackluster...

If they had outsourced EP 4 .. that means they must have internally worked on EP3 way before that....

That means Valve is working on a new engine nowadays?

and I agree with Beamer, I think I am positively 100% tired of the entire HL2 universe. I hope HL3 won't even feature Gordon Freeman or those god annoying zombies. After Ravenholm I was absolutely done with these zombies. totally, utterly, done.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2013, 11:50.

8. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 11:42 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 11:28:
Speaking of Valve...

.. what?

Creston

It's weird to see them outsource and call it an Episode. Sounds like it was basically another expansion, but called Episode.

And good on them for canceling it. After Episode 1 (I think it was 1) I never wanted to see another damn Half-Life zombie again. I got very, very tired of them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 11:28 Creston

Speaking of Valve...

.. what?

Creston

6. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 11:19 eRe4s3r

Edge Magazine: Living on the Edge of Irrelevance  

5. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 10:31 Omni

I am not sure why Mojang is there but I sense all the good doing of notch might have a saying in that.
That aside even tho notch is a rich a fuck he still feels like a fellow viking.

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo