Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Edge: Valve, Mojang "Greatest Developers"

Edge Online teases how issue 250 of Edge Magazine lists the 50 greatest videogame developers in their estimation. They don't offer the list online (you have to pay for this sort of opinion), but notch spills the beans that Valve is number one as part of his incredulity that Mojang is number two, tweeting: "#2? Really? One released game and almost no proven track record. Great honor, of course, but no. ;)"

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

44. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 17:49 Julio

Terrible choices for #1 and #2. Definitely not 'of all time'. Especially Valve, who made what Half Life and Steam that were legendary in some minds.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 17:48 The Half Elf

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 16:35:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 15:59:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 14:55:
I'm loving XCOM but thier codeing is shit, it has some pretty major flaws and theve been unable to remedy them. Teleport bugs, flanking bugs and the game has hardlocked my PS3 a few times, PSfckn3, theres no excuse for a game to not run flawlessly on a console, shit codeing.

Sorry to hear that. The game was rock solid for me on PC (40 hours played)

Valve IMO well deserves the number one spot, nobody in the business stands behind thier games like Valve does.

Valve is top 3 all time IMO, but they didn't do much in 2012.

Well locking up my PS3 is definatly the result of a shitty port but the teleport and flanking bugs are fundamental game flaws across all platforms. XCOM clearly could have used a few more months of polish before release, but they had a release date to accommodate, so it was pushed out the door early = IMO, no where near top dev.

I'd agree that Valve didnt release much this year but we are talking about devs in general not GOTY candidates. So I'd still give Valve top spot, they support thier products, they release because the game is ready and not because of another departments schedule and they continuously update and add free content to thier products. Heh I always think its funny when people talk about Valve time. Like its a bad thing that a developer will take whatever time is nessesary to make sure they release a quality finished product.

You mean the teleport bug they fixed when they released the free DLC a few weeks ago? Also it seems quite common for PS3's to lock up on any number of games due to long gaming sessions.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

42. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 17:41 TheEmissary

I agree this has the feel of being a popularity contest or mindshare list. There are plenty of developers that have contributed to development of gaming in different ways.

Valve should definitely be mentioned for their contribution to gaming. Quite of few of you guys seem to forget Valve's other accomplishments both gaming and technical. They more or less kept PC gaming viable and one of the few that is pushing gaming to platforms other than Windows on PC. What about TF2 which as had plenty of free content and updates that other games would have charged for as DLC. What about Counter-Strike which is depending on what stats you track either the #2 or #3 most played FPS on PC after Call of Duty and Battlefield.

41. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 17:20 Creston

Wetworks wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 13:51:
Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 13:39:
So then why is Valve #1? Did they release ANYTHING in 2012? I don't think they did?

They released CS: GO, and DOTA 2 beta and Mann vs. Machine for TF2 if you want to include those.

I'll admit I forgot about CS: GO. I don't count a beta or an expansion/DLC.

It still seems nowhere near enough to give them the #1 slot.

Creston

40. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 17:06 Orphic Resonance

XCOM was good but way too streamlined imo... maybe xcom2 will flesh it out more  

39. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 16:35 Yosemite Sam

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 15:59:
I'm loving XCOM but thier codeing is shit, it has some pretty major flaws and theve been unable to remedy them. Teleport bugs, flanking bugs and the game has hardlocked my PS3 a few times, PSfckn3, theres no excuse for a game to not run flawlessly on a console, shit codeing.

Valve IMO well deserves the number one spot, nobody in the business stands behind thier games like Valve does.

Well locking up my PS3 is definatly the result of a shitty port but the teleport and flanking bugs are fundamental game flaws across all platforms. XCOM clearly could have used a few more months of polish before release, but they had a release date to accommodate, so it was pushed out the door early = IMO, no where near top dev.

I'd agree that Valve didnt release much this year but we are talking about devs in general not GOTY candidates. So I'd still give Valve top spot, they support thier products, they release because the game is ready and not because of another departments schedule and they continuously update and add free content to thier products. Heh I always think its funny when people talk about Valve time. Like its a bad thing that a developer will take whatever time is nessesary to make sure they release a quality finished product.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

38. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 16:29 Orphic Resonance

yeh fuck Notch.. even Notch knows that  

37. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 16:28 eRe4s3r

Yeah... ;p But I meant the feel of the environment, the motion, the gun feeling, the effects, the scope of the area, the sound and freedom of movement. (And of course, the graphics and detail level but that is superficial.)

In a sense it's why I hate the BF3 SP mode, because it takes away your freedom of movement and the scope. The things that to me, define a good FPS game.

HL2 looks and feels like you are in a box. It never really feels like an environment you could just wait for 10 minutes and enjoy the feeling. BF3 for example.. you know Caspian Border no doubt, you can hear crows calling in the distance in less explosive moments. Sitting there as sniper (stupid achievement...) was pretty damn tranquil. If you closed your eyes, the random shooting excluded, you could think you were really sitting there in the landscape.

Same praise for Farcry 3..

To me. a good FPS is one that first and foremost, is 100% immersive. And that's also why I am sort of hyped for real VR / 3D goggles that don't make ye ill.

36. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 15:59 jdreyer

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

35. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 14:59 Alamar

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 14:13:
Special mention goes to Level Up Labs for Defender's Quest, a truly inspired combination of Tower Defense and RPG, with a cohesive story to boot.

Thanks for the suggestion... Got part way through the demo, and bought it...

I'll likely never finish it (That's who I am), but throwing $15 at a small dev with some originality is good ; )

-Alamar

34. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 14:55 Yosemite Sam

Here are my top 10 devs of 2012, in no particular order. These are the devs in my mind that truly innovated the game sphere, and whose games will influence the industry going forward.

1. Firaxis (XCom)
2. Arkane (Dishonored)
3. Klei entertainment (Mark of the Ninja)
4. Subset Games (FTL)
5. ThatGameCompany (Journey)
6. Hi-Rez Studios (Tribes: Ascend)
7. Telltale Games (The Walking Dead)
8. Gearbox (Borderlands 2)
9. ArenaNet (Guild Wars 2)
10. Runic (Torchlight 2)

Special mention goes to Level Up Labs for Defender's Quest, a truly inspired combination of Tower Defense and RPG, with a cohesive story to boot.

While some of these are obvious, some may not be. I put Gearbox in there for showing how to make a true sequel (some old, some new, much improved). ArenaNet is in there for demonstrating the right way to do an MMO launch, as well as their fairly unique MMO model (which being a sequel isn't unique, but still it's going strong). I threw Hi-Rez in there for their free to play model, which both makes them money and makes the game accessible. Runic is a bit weak sauce, but I threw them in there for most improved sequel, and showing you don't need to charge $60 out of the gate for a top of the line game.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

33. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 14:54 Dev

Here are my top 10 devs of 2012, in no particular order. These are the devs in my mind that truly innovated the game sphere, and whose games will influence the industry going forward.
Your list makes good sense to me.

32. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 14:46 Cutter

Played Sleepy Dogs yet jd? That's the GOTY.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

31. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 14:35 Ozmodan

The entire list is a joke, but I guess someone who does not play games wrote it.  

30. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 14:13 jdreyer

1. Firaxis (XCom)
2. Arkane (Dishonored)
3. Klei entertainment (Mark of the Ninja)
4. Subset Games (FTL)
5. ThatGameCompany (Journey)
6. Hi-Rez Studios (Tribes: Ascend)
7. Telltale Games (The Walking Dead)
8. Gearbox (Borderlands 2)
9. ArenaNet (Guild Wars 2)
10. Runic (Torchlight 2)

While some of these are obvious, some may not be. I put Gearbox in there for showing how to make a true sequel (some old, some new, much improved). ArenaNet is in there for demonstrating the right way to do an MMO launch, as well as their fairly unique MMO model (which being a sequel isn't unique, but still it's going strong). I threw Hi-Rez in there for their free to play model, which both makes them money and makes the game accessible. Runic is a bit weak sauce, but I threw them in there for most improved sequel, and showing you don't need to charge $60 out of the gate for a top of the line game.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

29. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 14:08 Beamer

Prez wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 14:05:
I had to google "Platinum Games" since I had no idea what games they made. Now that I did I have even less of a clue why they were even included in the list at all, much less in the #4 spot.

Likewise. But I do know IGN slaughtered Anarchy Reigns, their one 2012 title.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 14:05 Prez

I had to google "Platinum Games" since I had no idea what games they made. Now that I did I have even less of a clue why they were even included in the list at all, much less in the #4 spot.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

27. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 13:51 Wetworks

Double Post.  

26. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 13:51 Wetworks

Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 13:39:
So then why is Valve #1? Did they release ANYTHING in 2012? I don't think they did?

They released CS: GO, and DOTA 2 beta and Mann vs. Machine for TF2 if you want to include those.

25. Re: Edge: Valve, Mojang Jan 14, 2013, 13:39 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 13:30:
In defense of EDGE, this is top developers of 2012, not of all time.

I just looked over that entire list, it just makes no fucking sense whatsoever. Eidos Montreal released no games this year, and they're #29? And then Bioware is only one spot higher, but they released ME3? I mean, wtf?

Square Enix isn't on the list, and neither is Rovi. You may not like Angry Birds, but fuck the heck??

It's a list that makes no sense whatsoever. I think my initial guess of them just googling it is pretty spot on.

Creston

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo