Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Batman and Arkham Domains

Fusible has news that a bunch of domains related to Batman and Arkham have been registered, though it's not readily apparent if these relate to movies, games, or both (thanks GameSpot). The owners of the domains are hidden by a privacy service, but they also note that Warner Bros. is a known client of this service. Here are the new domains:

arkhamuniverse.com (Arkham Universe)
batmanarkahmuniverse.com (Batman Arkham Universe)
batmanarkhamarises.com (Batman Arkham Arises)
batmanarkhambegins.com (Batman Arkham Begins)
batmanarkhamdarkknight.com (Batman Arkham Dark Knight)
batmanarkhamknight.com (Batman Arkham Knight)
batmanarkhamlegend.com (Batman Arkham Legend)
batmanarkhamlegends.com (Batman Arkham Legends)
batmanarkhamnight.com (Batman Arkham Night)
batmanarkhamorigins.com (Batman Arkham Origins)
batmanarkhamstories.com (Batman Arkham Stories)
darkknightarkham.com (Dark Knight Arkham)
dcarkhamuniverse.com (DC Arkham Universe)
dcarkhamverse.com (DC Arkhamverse)
thearkhamuniverse.com (The Arkham Universe)

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 22:53 Rhino

ViRGE wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 20:42:
bhcompy wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 18:32:
Uh, spoiler, but didn't Joker die? It can't be a DC animated universe/Diniverse Batman property without the only arch-villain that matters.
The Arkham games were never really part of the DCAU, even if they did reuse the VAs. Certain aspects of the game just don't align, as it was never meant to.

And even then the comment is flawed for a number of reasons. Most notable is that the Joker tends to be used to the extent that he is because he's generally popular, not that he's the 'only one that matters' given that others have been used and used well. Mark Hamill is unlikely to return as the Joker, so it's not at all as likely that they would use him again as the shift in voice actors (moreso in this instance that it might have been with other franchises) could pose a problem in acceptance and thus have the potential to be damaging to sales.

Speaking strictly of the game, there were a number of references to Scarecrow in Arkham City and his eventual plans, enough to suggest that whenever a direct sequel comes about he's the most likely primary villain. I feel stupid using the spoiler tag there as it's not really a spoiler so much as a series of hidden references; but better to be safe.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 22:50 bhcompy

ViRGE wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 20:42:
Uh, spoiler, but didn't Joker die? It can't be a DC animated universe/Diniverse Batman property without the only arch-villain that matters.
The Arkham games were never really part of the DCAU, even if they did reuse the VAs. Certain aspects of the game just don't align, as it was never meant to.

I understand from an official continuity perspective(simply because Joker dying just doesn't fit any canon), but if you pull in all the principle VAs you're basically tying it to that, and Dini is involved as well, which just adds to it.

I guess it's better to say that if Kevin Conroy is there, so must his foil

25. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 20:44 Cutter

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 15:44:
Cutter wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 15:13:
I mean Aquadude!
Ewww, more like AquaDerro), prefer the one I posted.

It's Aquaman, not Aquatwink.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

24. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 20:42 ViRGE

23. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 18:32 bhcompy

22. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 17:41 Rhino

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 17:25:
Rhino wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 14:28:
I would go with Wonder Woman, personally. More of a warrior spirit which would allow for combat reminiscent of Batman, but with a more powerful and possibly deadly bite to it. The comic book series as it's currently written shows how dark it can be and still work. The Greek myth angle allows for the presence of Gods and creatures as well as varying environments as she isn't quite so pigeonholed into one specific environment as Batman tends to be with Gotham.

Agreed. But could we give her a different costume? Something more badass. I hate that ultra patriotic BS. With Captain America, it suits, being built into his origin and name, but not so much with WW.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51n3SjWPTuL._SS500_.jpg

Really all that you have to do is remove the stars and darken the colours some. Granted the stars are still there in this image, but less so than in previous costumes.

21. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 17:25 jdreyer

Rhino wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 14:28:
I would go with Wonder Woman, personally. More of a warrior spirit which would allow for combat reminiscent of Batman, but with a more powerful and possibly deadly bite to it. The comic book series as it's currently written shows how dark it can be and still work. The Greek myth angle allows for the presence of Gods and creatures as well as varying environments as she isn't quite so pigeonholed into one specific environment as Batman tends to be with Gotham.

Agreed. But could we give her a different costume? Something more badass. I hate that ultra patriotic BS. With Captain America, it suits, being built into his origin and name, but not so much with WW.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 16:31 Orphic Resonance

i smell MMO  

19. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 15:44 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 15:13:
I mean Aquadude!
Ewww, more like AquaDerro), prefer the one I posted.

18. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 15:13 Cutter

I mean Aquadude!

And Supes to powerful for a game unless you've got fully destructible environments to punch people through buildings and stuff. Green Arrow? Yawn. Martian Manhunter would be fun, phasing in and out of stuff, disguises, different forms.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

17. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 14:28 Rhino

16. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 14:27 Rhino

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 14:22:
Rhino wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 10:21:
If it is indeed Warner Bros. then, in my opinion, that's a whole lot of red herring.

Arkham City used Arkham World and Arkham Universe as examples of what's to come next in a mocking fashion. It seems more likely that these are merely being registered as a means of control than any specific possibility of a development project as making fun of the notion and then following through with a project seems unlikely to me. Not impossible... just unlikely.

The Origins/Arises/Begins domains seem more likely given previous news that the next title would be something of a Silver Age affair. Whether that would be in the form of style or just a timeframe reference remains to be seen as I don't think that they gave any more details than that at the time.

Yeah, lots of misdirection here. Also, I think most of these are just defensive to prevent squatting.

Yes, squatting. Guh. Couldn't think of the word earlier and ended up just saying "control" which I knew at the time wasn't at all what I wanted to say, but was hoping that it would make some sort of sense in my sleep deprived state.

15. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 14:22 jdreyer

Rhino wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 10:21:
If it is indeed Warner Bros. then, in my opinion, that's a whole lot of red herring.

Arkham City used Arkham World and Arkham Universe as examples of what's to come next in a mocking fashion. It seems more likely that these are merely being registered as a means of control than any specific possibility of a development project as making fun of the notion and then following through with a project seems unlikely to me. Not impossible... just unlikely.

The Origins/Arises/Begins domains seem more likely given previous news that the next title would be something of a Silver Age affair. Whether that would be in the form of style or just a timeframe reference remains to be seen as I don't think that they gave any more details than that at the time.

Yeah, lots of misdirection here. Also, I think most of these are just defensive to prevent squatting.

14. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 14:20 jdreyer

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 13:24:
Cutter wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 12:55:
go Aquaman.
You mean this Aquaman?

Hey, I'd play an Aquaman game with that art style.

13. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 14:02 theyarecomingforyou

netnerd85 wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 13:24:
You mean this Aquaman?
Or the slightly less gay one from Smallville.

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 13:13:
I'm not sure quite HOW they would do it, but I'd love for Rocksteady to take a shot at Superman.
It would be difficult to get right but then so was Batman. The flight mechanic wouldn't be radically different from Batman's gliding, while the effect of Kryptonite could be similar to the poison in Arkham City (i.e. causing Batman to stumble around). The biggest issue would be super-speed, as even if they were to do a slow-motion like effect the game world would need to be huge for it to be convincing. That said, if any developer could pull it off it would be Rocksteady.

Green Arrow would be easier to pull off and it would be good timing with the new TV series, though obviously you have the new Superman film as well.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

12. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 13:24 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 12:55:
go Aquaman.
You mean this Aquaman?

11. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 13:13 The Half Elf

I'm not sure quite HOW they would do it, but I'd love for Rocksteady to take a shot at Superman.
Also found a mod that lets you play as Robin, Nightwing or Catwomen through the entire campaign instead of Bats.

Edited due to lack of brain function.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

10. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 13:03 nin

Perhaps even take it underwater and go Aquaman.

Grand Theft Stingray!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 12:55 Cutter

Yeah, I'm kind of all Batmaned out at this point. Time for something fresh. It'd be cool doing some thing with the Flash - the real Flash, scientist Barry Allan, not the retard one from the cartoon - or Martian Manhunter. Perhaps even take it underwater and go Aquaman.

8. Re: Batman and Arkham Domains Jan 14, 2013, 12:18 theyarecomingforyou

Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 10:47:
Does anyone truly believe that Arkham Asylum and City, both very successful commercial ventures, isn't going to get a third game in the series?
Sure it will, but the developer of those games is rumoured to be working on a TMNT game. I don't think they'll trust it with another developer, which means they'll need to expand the studio into an A and B team with some overlap or that it will come after the current title they're working on.

Personally I'd rather see Rocksteady work on another property in the DC Comics universe, like Green Arrow or Superman - any franchise where they can't simply copy & paste the gameplay from Arkham. Then they could eventually build up to a Justice League game, which would be epic.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo