Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 15, 2013, 20:27 HorrorScope

PC really has made it's mark over the last few years. Even going to gamestop (boy wanted a few old titles for the 360) and talking with the two guys behind the counter, they are all over Steam, hundreds of games etc. That wasn't the case at all not that long ago.

Smart move using std pc parts, they also should just have updated units every1 to 2 years, 100% compatible etc. For us pc games, just load them up with a lot of ram, that is all we need.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 13:52 Creston

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 18:55:
NegaDeath wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 17:32:
Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 17:23:
That's how Nintendo sees it. I doubt that's how MS or Sony see it, especially when Nintendo is in the lead...

I don't think they cared initially. But after Nintendo built its Scrooge McDuck money vault anyone would be envious. Then the "me-too!" motion addons came out.

I thought Scrooge McDuck had his money in his swimming pool and would take a dive in. At least that's how my foggy memory remembers it.

He turned his warehouse/vault into a swimming pool, essentially. With a diveboard and everything.

He had way too much money to fit into a pool.

Creston

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 10:47 Beamer

Dades wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 10:25:
Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 09:52:
You're missing the point. If you want to find a game on XBL it will have a larger community.

No you're missing the point, it will depend on the game and popularity doesn't equal quality. I said Steam was a better service, I didn't say it was the most popular. Some games have a larger audience on the PS3 and PC anyway. Not that it even matters, I want to find people to play the game with, I don't need to play it with everyone on the planet.

As for the world we live in, there are billions of PCs in it, of course sales are slowing, we long ago reached critical mass. That has no bearing on my point nor is it indicative of platform viability.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Ok, this is just devolving into strawmen, so it's become pointless. Steam is an awesome service. But you have to be some kind of jerk to sit around and act like other platforms aren't fun and couldn't be preferred by perfectly rational people. It doesn't make them "fanboys" or "butthurt," it means they have different measures of quality than you do. Ones that are often just as valid.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 10:25 Dades

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 09:52:
You're missing the point. If you want to find a game on XBL it will have a larger community.

No you're missing the point, it will depend on the game and popularity doesn't equal quality. I said Steam was a better service, I didn't say it was the most popular. Some games have a larger audience on the PS3 and PC anyway. Not that it even matters, I want to find people to play the game with, I don't need to play it with everyone on the planet.

As for the world we live in, there are billions of PCs in it, of course sales are slowing, we long ago reached critical mass. That has no bearing on my point nor is it indicative of platform viability.

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 09:52 Beamer

Dades wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 09:06:
Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 08:27:
I didn't realize we were comparing them. Again, XBL has a larger community than Steam. Easier to find games. More friends on it.

No it doesn't. Microsoft has sold 70 million Xbox 360s, the number of which that are online is unknown. They claimed 25 million paying Live subscribers. Steam has 50 million unique, active accounts. They are very comparable in size and on the same playing field. Steam also has more overall functionality than Xbox Live. No one eats alone either, its very easy to find games and friends thanks to the community and groups.

the world we live in

That's the world you live in, you don't speak for anyone else.

You're missing the point. If you want to find a game on XBL it will have a larger community. For a game like Borderlands 2 or CoD there are exponentially more players on XBL. Yes, it's for the most popular games, but the most popular games are the most played games.

XBL has a more active online gaming community. Period. Its concentrated in a few small places, but those places are thriving more than anything on Steam.

And it is the world we live in. Look at device sales. Laptops with integrated graphics: selling lots. Laptops with dedicated graphics: not selling lots. Desktops: barely selling.

Lastly, there are 40 million paying XBL customers. Not 25 million. 40 million.

-------------

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 09:06 Dades

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 08:27:
I didn't realize we were comparing them. Again, XBL has a larger community than Steam. Easier to find games. More friends on it.

No it doesn't. Microsoft has sold 70 million Xbox 360s, the number of which that are online is unknown. They claimed 25 million paying Live subscribers. Steam has 50 million unique, active accounts. They are very comparable in size and on the same playing field. Steam also has more overall functionality than Xbox Live. No one eats alone either, its very easy to find games and friends thanks to the community and groups.

the world we live in

That's the world you live in, you don't speak for anyone else.

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 08:27 Beamer

Dades wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 22:31:
Both are terrible and pale in comparison to Steam. No need to offer a defense microsoft buttboy, I can imagine what you will say easily enough.

No need to offer a defense Steam buttboy?

Ultimately, would you rather be eating alone in a great restaurant or with your friends in a more expensive but not quite as good restaurant.

Sorry, I'm not eating alone. All my friends have work Lenovo laptops and 360s or PS3s. Not 1 has a desktop, or even dedicated GPU, other than me. This is the world we live in!

-------------

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 07:08 Dades

The 360 only has a 6% failure rate over the PS3
And if your Fat PS3 (like one of the PS2 compatible ones) dies then your screwed as Sony won't repair it due to Warranty, and good luck finding one online that doesn't cost a fortune. Microsoft built a PC that hooks up to your TV. They didn't try to force another type of proprietary media format on anyone like Sony has been trying to do since the mini-cd days with ever single device they have put to market.

Microsoft doesn't repair systems out of warranty for free either and they were forced to extend warranties only due to the RROD. The failure rate link seems completely inaccurate. The Xbox 360 is not a PC. It doesn't support most PC-like functionality nor most PC peripherals.

And Microsoft has been attacked in the past, but isn't STUPID enough to leave itself open to what happened to Sony.

I don't know, looking at the number of zero day fixes every month for my users windows installs I'd say yes it is. Live has been hacked before anyway, just not in the same manner. Videogame companies are not security companies, Sony learned their lesson the hard way, no one said the PS3 is perfect.

This comment was edited on Jan 15, 2013, 07:18.

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 06:08 Fantaz

Does the PS4 connect to my brain by neural implants? If not, I'll skip PS4 and go with PS5... my super-computer keeps me busy and will likely emulate PS4 games since the technology I bet won't be so powerful.  

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 06:04 Julio

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 02:36:

Reading the comments on that article, this number has been proved inaccurate. The failure rate quoted is on number of units sold. When your 360 RRODs, Microsoft replaces it with a refurb 360. That isn't in the statistic.

So for me, my launch 360 died with RROD. My refurb lasted 1 year then died. Then I had to buy a replacement 360. So only half of my 360 failures were captured in the stats quoted.

From the article you mentioned, they also talk about surveys showing 360 failure rates of 33% and 54%....

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 02:36 The Half Elf

This isn't about the PC, it's about the 360 vs PS3, and on that note I have a few things for ya.

Rampant cheating online is KING on the PS3. So much that Infinity Ward flat out blames the PS3 and Sony for it
And if your Fat PS3 (like one of the PS2 compatible ones) dies then your screwed as Sony won't repair it due to Warranty, and good luck finding one online that doesn't cost a fortune.

Microsoft built a PC that hooks up to your TV. They didn't try to force another type of proprietary media format on anyone like Sony has been trying to do since the mini-cd days with ever single device they have put to market.

And again the interface for the PS3 has gotten better, it's still a mess when you look at the other consoles. It's super easy to use the 360 interface with or without the keypad, but a pain in the ass with regular PS3 controller (both times I've owned a PS3 resorted in me yelling at the TV because it's so clumsily setup.

And Microsoft has been attacked in the past, but isn't STUPID enough to leave itself open to what happened to Sony. The system was down for a month, and not just the PS3 network but also Sony Online. It took them SEVEN DAYS before they even announced what had happened.
But I have to ask, if your personal information was stolen due to Sony's ignorance and stupidity, which resulted in your identify being stolen, how much 'free stuff' could Sony give you to make up for that? And again this wasn't a small breech, this was a breech of EVERYTHING. Out of Sony's controls you say? That's like laying out 5000 steaks in front of starving dogs and thinking that the steaks are safe.

What about the whole removal of Linux installs from PS3's?

And Microsoft has had issues with it's service (like recently the Cloud Storage outage) and have given out free stuff. Not 1 or 2 year old games.

I can understand hatred for the 360 and Microsoft, but how delusional do you have to be to ignore all the issues with the PS3 and Sony?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 15, 2013, 00:00 Yosemite Sam

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 19:29:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 15:17:
avianflu wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 14:15:
Have to agree with Verno; current gen consoles XBOX360 have already become glossy advertisement-machines with kludgy interfaces. I really dont want another console at this point.

There fixed that for ya... never did understand the fanboism from the 360 crowd. The 360 was a cheap poorly made POS, you had to PAY to play and they apparently also shove ads down your throat. I'm using my original fatPS3, upgraded my HD with a standered laptop drive, havent paid a dime to play online and get no ads whatsoever... As for the next gen, meh I'll happily enjoy my PS3 for quite a few more years and look into the next gen consoles a few years after release and make an informed decision based on the product and services offered.

And the PS3 is any better? Granted the 'improved' the online store, it's still a mess to find things. And what about Home? It's a virtual environment/store for items as well. And lets talk about online, rampant cheating and hacking of games, voice chat is a mess, downloading anything from Sony takes TEN times longer then Xbox Live. Not to mention the whole system being taken offline due to data theft.

But I will give Sony 1 thing, the free games if your a PLUS member.

But PLEASE do not post all this hate towards the 360 when the PS3 has had it's fair share of issues and Microsoft has never had to send out 70 MILLION emails informing it's customers of data theft.

Seriously? you specifically said "glossy advertisement-machines" The PS3 simply does not do this. I see no ads whatsoever, all I have is my nice fish tank with little fishies swimming around, so yes the PS3 in the context of your rant is better. kludgy interfaces... ya I'll give you that, though I personally have no issues with it, course I have the little mini keyboard the clips right onto my controller which makes typing soooo much easier.

Personally I have zero problems finding stuff, infact with the new interface its even easier, just find the game you want and it lists all the DLC for said game right there nice and easy.

What about Home? never installed it myself, isnt needed to play games which is what I do, so why even bring it up it has nothing to do with the subject matter.

Cheating? seriously? your going to bash consoles for cheating when the PC is the king?... and the PS3 is the most secure system on the market, there is NO cheating beyond stupid shit like unpluging your cable. I've never had issues playing online (ok had one, but it was related to the shit modem\router my ISP used) never had issues with voice chat.

Ya sure, Sony got hacked, Microsoft only built a low cost POS that had an unbelievable failure rate and then tried to bury the fact until they were forced fix or replace the junk consoles. At least Sonys only problem was being targeted by a hacker group out to get them, totally out of thier control, and frankly if the tables had been turned and they went after Microsoft instead I'm sure the results would have been exactly the same. BTW how much free stuff did Microsoft give away because of thier poorly designed console? Sony gave us a ton of free shit and it wasnt even thier doing.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2013, 22:31 Dades

Both are terrible and pale in comparison to Steam. No need to offer a defense microsoft buttboy, I can imagine what you will say easily enough.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2013, 20:34 Beamer

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 19:29:
Have to agree with Verno; current gen consoles XBOX360 have already become glossy advertisement-machines with kludgy interfaces. I really dont want another console at this point.

There fixed that for ya... never did understand the fanboism from the 360 crowd. The 360 was a cheap poorly made POS, you had to PAY to play and they apparently also shove ads down your throat. I'm using my original fatPS3, upgraded my HD with a standered laptop drive, havent paid a dime to play online and get no ads whatsoever... As for the next gen, meh I'll happily enjoy my PS3 for quite a few more years and look into the next gen consoles a few years after release and make an informed decision based on the product and services offered.

And the PS3 is any better? Granted the 'improved' the online store, it's still a mess to find things. And what about Home? It's a virtual environment/store for items as well. And lets talk about online, rampant cheating and hacking of games, voice chat is a mess, downloading anything from Sony takes TEN times longer then Xbox Live. Not to mention the whole system being taken offline due to data theft.

But PLEASE do not post all this hate towards the 360 when the PS3 has had it's fair share of issues and Microsoft has never had to send out 70 MILLION emails informing it's customers of data theft.

Agreed on Plus.

I've always found Live to be worth the money vs PSN. Just better, smoother games with a larger community. And better controllers. And more continuity.

I get why people wouldn't want to play it, but the PS version is an inferior product. Part of that is really just East vs West - 360 went after former PC devs that knew online and MS built it to really function well, and it went to consumers that knew what to expect. PS3 didn't have the PC heritage and made mistakes. I expect that to be corrected next time around.

-------------

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2013, 19:29 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2013, 18:55 AngelicPenguin

NegaDeath wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 17:32:
That's how Nintendo sees it. I doubt that's how MS or Sony see it, especially when Nintendo is in the lead...

I don't think they cared initially. But after Nintendo built its Scrooge McDuck money vault anyone would be envious. Then the "me-too!" motion addons came out.

I thought Scrooge McDuck had his money in his swimming pool and would take a dive in. At least that's how my foggy memory remembers it.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2013, 17:55 Julio

I'll be buying multiple PS4s next generation. Xbox 360 is adware, and had very poor quality next to the PS3. Went through three Xbox 360s (one at a time), and both of my PS3s have lasted the whole time.  

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2013, 17:32 NegaDeath

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2013, 17:23 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 15:06:
Creston wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 11:06:

I guess on the flipside, they can't give Nintendo too much of a headstart.

Creston

Does Nintendo even compete with MS/Sony? I thought they kind of went after different markets with not much overlap.

Creston

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 14, 2013, 15:17 Yosemite Sam

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo