Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Free StarCraft II Name Changes

The StarCraft II Website has an apology to players from Blizzard over their failure to live up to a promise for a paid service to allow name changes in StarCraft II, saying as a result of delays in rolling this out, they have added a free name change to everyone's account in the RTS sequel. Word is: "We’re planning to offer another free name change to all players when the new Clans feature goes live in the next couple of months, so don’t worry about removing your clan tag from your character name with this one. We will alert you to that when the time comes." There's no word in how much it is costing them to go through the vast expense of changing character names for nothing.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 14, 2013, 08:27 deqer

Kajetan wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 13:10:
charging your customer for a simple SQL statement
^ this.

necrosis wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 15:04:
the cost is to prevent people from harassing others
Partially so. However, not when you have 1) Account Ignoring, and 2) Ban System.

You see, but Blizzard does not want to ban players. Otherwise, that would mean less monthly revenue $ for Blizzard.

astonished that there are people who are willing to pay for this "service"
Well, if you haven't learned by now; people are stupid. Younger people are more stupid, and are willing(or have no choice) to spend $10 to change their name because they had a temper tantrum.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 14, 2013, 07:57 Luke

Free Starcraft II name changes

OOOHHHH Book

12. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 14, 2013, 06:28 s1mon75

Mehh, I still have my first free name change up my sleeve.

Im too old to go changing my name every 5 minutes

11. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 14, 2013, 01:50 Kajetan

Fibrocyte wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 18:32:
Do you think they invented this concept?
No. I'm not mad at Blizzard, but still being astonished that there are people who are willing to pay for this "service". Reminds me of my mother who thinks i'm an IT wizard when i fix her computer.

10. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 13, 2013, 21:14 Overon

I think it's crazy to charge for something as simple as this.  

9. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 13, 2013, 18:32 Fibrocyte

Kajetan wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 13:10:
When you charge your customer for a simple SQL statement, which doesn't involve any Blizzard employee besides the inital one time feature write, be sure to make GOOD excuses when this paid "service" doesn't work as advertised.

You seem to be bitter that they're charging for a simple SQL statement that requires no human intervention. Do you think they invented this concept?

8. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 13, 2013, 18:15 RollinThundr

Beelzebud wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:41:
Dev wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:36:
Cyanotetyphas wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:02:
Being in the MMO business trashed this company
Well that and activision.

Seriously, them giving up independence, and merging with Activision was when the downward trend really came on strong. Until then, they were a solid company. Now it's about how to maximize profit, at the expense of everything else. Just look at Diablo 3.

Blizzard hasn't been independent since Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Davidson and Associates, to Sierra, to Vivendi who techically owns the majority stake in ActivisionBlizzard.

7. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 13, 2013, 17:41 Beelzebud

Dev wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:36:

Seriously, them giving up independence, and merging with Activision was when the downward trend really came on strong. Until then, they were a solid company. Now it's about how to maximize profit, at the expense of everything else. Just look at Diablo 3.

6. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 13, 2013, 17:36 Dev

5. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 13, 2013, 17:02 Cyanotetyphas

Wow how generous. Keep in mind when SC2 came out they weren't very forthcoming about the fact that your User Profile name was also your BNET name so when you entered ASSBUTT on the first screen just to try to play some singleplayer, congratulations you were Sir Assbutt to your friends forever.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

4. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 13, 2013, 15:11 Cutter

necrosis wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 15:04:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 14:20:
Is there some practical reason to charge for namechanges? Aside from greed, I mean. Maybe consistency lets players more easily keep track of who they have played against?
Usually the cost is to prevent people from harassing others, changing their name, harassing more people, changing their name, harassing even more people...

Yes, but if everyone has a unique Bnet id what does it matter because if you've got them on ignore they stay ignored regardless. So yeah, this is about greed as is everything else with Actiblizz.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 13, 2013, 15:04 necrosis

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 14:20:
Is there some practical reason to charge for namechanges? Aside from greed, I mean. Maybe consistency lets players more easily keep track of who they have played against?
Usually the cost is to prevent people from harassing others, changing their name, harassing more people, changing their name, harassing even more people...

2. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 13, 2013, 14:20 jdreyer

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: Free StarCraft II Name Changes Jan 13, 2013, 13:10 Kajetan

When you charge your customer for a simple SQL statement, which doesn't involve any Blizzard employee besides the inital one time feature write, be sure to make GOOD excuses when this paid "service" doesn't work as advertised.  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo