Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Assassin's Creed III Tech

An article on FX Guide from last month discusses some of the technical wizardry behind Assassin's Creed III, discussing how modern video games are now capable of rendering scenes in real time that Thanks Ant via would have been beyond Hollywood not too long ago. This focuses on rendering oceans, saying: "In feature films just a decade ago, rendering oceans was reason enough to seek an Oscar." The article starts as an overview, but as it progresses, it gets steadily more technical. Thanks Richard W.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 14, 2013, 19:03 Gipson

hmm... Steam is downloading a 880mb patch right now..  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 14, 2013, 10:33 Creston

StingingVelvet wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 00:48:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 21:36:
The game isn't bad, just different in parts from the rest of the series.

I don't really like it after 10 hours or so, and it has little to do with being "different" specifically. I just don't like all the slow filler they have added. I like running on rooftops and stabbing people and AC3 seems to keep me from doing that as much as it can. What it offers in exchange I do not find engaging.

Yeah, that's been pretty much my experience as well. You do very very very very very very very very little actual assassinating.

Creston

16. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 14, 2013, 03:37 Quinn

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 01:27:
Kinda sad that a free roaming assassin game makes a better ship combat part than dedicated ship sims or pirate games have done so far.

And even I have to agree, the ship combat in AC3 was absolutely visceral and stunning. The sounds, the feeling, it was there. That is how I think (slightly unrealistic, but epic) ship combat can work in a game and be fun, if you just add a (proper) upgrade element, free roam and questing. It doesn't even need to during the 1800's .. basically any sufficiently armed and fast ship could work. Like PT Boats (You could make a great Fallout style scavenge game just cruising around finding stuff doing quests.. think Fallout on the Ocean)

Hmm, to me it was the whole VoC feel to it that makes it so goddamn awesome. That, and the visuals, the sound, the gameplay.

Imagine a pirate game like this, where the story is as engaging as Mass Effect, the melee combat as engaging as Severance: Blade of Darkness, and the naval missions as awesome as AC3's! Skill-trees for naval combat, melee combat, exploration...

Fuck me. I want, no... NEED a game like that!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

15. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 14, 2013, 01:27 eRe4s3r

Kinda sad that a free roaming assassin game makes a better ship combat part than dedicated ship sims or pirate games have done so far.

And even I have to agree, the ship combat in AC3 was absolutely visceral and stunning. The sounds, the feeling, it was there. That is how I think (slightly unrealistic, but epic) ship combat can work in a game and be fun, if you just add a (proper) upgrade element, free roam and questing. It doesn't even need to during the 1800's .. basically any sufficiently armed and fast ship could work. Like PT Boats (You could make a great Fallout style scavenge game just cruising around finding stuff doing quests.. think Fallout on the Ocean)

14. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 14, 2013, 00:48 StingingVelvet

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 21:36:
The game isn't bad, just different in parts from the rest of the series.

I don't really like it after 10 hours or so, and it has little to do with being "different" specifically. I just don't like all the slow filler they have added. I like running on rooftops and stabbing people and AC3 seems to keep me from doing that as much as it can. What it offers in exchange I do not find engaging.

13. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 21:36 The Half Elf

The game isn't bad, just different in parts from the rest of the series. But 'the tech' behind the engine isn't as good as the previous games. I'm not sure if this was to include dynamic weather, dynamic snow and boating.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 19:23 StingingVelvet

Gipson wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:33:
where is the PC patch???! the game is amazing .. when it runs properly

I read a lot about performance problems which made me worry, since my system is aging a good bit now (Q9550 processor, GTX 480). Sure enough it ran crappy on max settings once I got to Boston, which sucked.

However, all it took to smooth everything out and get it working really well was to turn down one setting, environment detail, to "high." Runs very well now.

Shame the game kind of sucks.

11. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 18:00 Orphic Resonance

PHJF wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:25:

So am I the only person who after playing the ship missions who really, really wanted a Napoleonic Wars sailing game?

Everybody that played AC3 wants a game based on the naval missions.

as long as its combined with open world exploration and off-boat adventuring/questing

it would be quite awesome, using that engine... excellent pirate game there

yeh the more i think about it, the better it sounds - open world naval exploration/combat? fuck yeh man

10. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 17:36 Creston

PHJF wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:25:

So am I the only person who after playing the ship missions who really, really wanted a Napoleonic Wars sailing game?

Yep, that's pretty much the all-around opinion. I'd love a remake of Pirates! with this particular naval engine.

Creston

9. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 17:33 Gipson

where is the PC patch???! the game is amazing .. when it runs properly  

8. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 17:25 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 17:24 BazzaLB

These great new engines basically have abandoned support for proper stereoscopic 3D (3D Vision). Hollywood is going 3D it seems, whilst these new engines are dropping support for it.

Far cry 3 is playable in s3D, but only under dx9 (and after the usual Helix mods)

Lurking on Blues since mid nineties

6. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 17:02 Flatline

So am I the only person who after playing the ship missions who really, really wanted a Napoleonic Wars sailing game? Maybe a little more sim-like than Assassin's Creed 3, with boarding & cutting out expeditions, navigating rough storms, fleet actions, and all kinds of other tasty stuff?

The *real* geek in me would love a game like that which had the option to respond to vocal commands, so I could shout out "Wait for the uproll!" and hear my orders carried down the gundeck: "Aye sir! Aim for the rigging on the uproll boys! Wait for the Captain's word!"

5. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 15:05 Gocows

Except for games like Forza 3/4 (haven't tried Horizon) where one disc is labelled Install Disc, I have never seen any games do that?

I know Mass Effect 2 and 3 at least needed physical disc-swaps, even with both discs installed. Those and the Forza's are the only multidisc-games I have for the 360, though, so I might have missed other games doing it.

4. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 14:35 eRe4s3r

AC3 also absolutely terrible performance issues in certain sections that are not GPU or CPU related.  

3. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 13:54 ochentay4

After playing Far Cry 3, I have restored faith in Ubisoft. Despite Uplay client DRM limits a "features", Ubisoft makes really great games.

AC: Revelations and AC3 are sitting on my Uplay client, but as soon as I finish FC3 I'll hunt them down. AC3 looks fantastic.

Just my thoughts.

2. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 13:26 The Half Elf

Seriously? Tech wise the only cool thing about AC3 is the boat combat and moving through snow. The pop-in, fuzzy triangle level of detail thing (also used in Far Cry 3) is fucking ANNOYING. The controls are now twitchy, and the beautiful animation system from the previous games has issues.
Not to mention if I want to play multiplayer (on the 360) I just can't install the 2nd disc and leave the 1st in the tray, I have to switch disc's which is a major annoyance.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

1. Re: On Assassin's Creed III Tech Jan 13, 2013, 13:08 dj LiTh

The water was just about the only thing i did like about the game...how fitting  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo