Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Metaverse

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 23:23 Beamer

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 22:04:
Beamer wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 20:06:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 15:04:
Beelzebud wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 13:54:
Funny how much can change in 2 years. 2 years ago many supposedly wise people were predicting that Zynga was "the future of PC gaming", and were proclaiming that gaming on a PC would forever be the domain of grandma playing Farmville on Facebook.

Shows you just how useless the majority of "analysts" are. Most of the time, they're just getting paid large sums of money to talk out of their asses. Pachter and Dent are prime examples of this.

It wasn't just analysts. Were you at GDC 2009? Or was it 2010? Whichever the case, every single panel talked about Zynga. Every single one. Developers, not analysts, were falling all over themselves to figure out how to be more like Zynga, or how to go to Zynga (look at all the amazing PC developers that flocked there. Half the Civ 2-4 teams!)

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying only analysts were pumping the Kool-Aid. They may have started the ball rolling and much like the financial collapse, continued to pimp the company as a sure bet until reality made it impossible but a lot of other people drank the Kool-Aid wholesale. The same reckoning's coming to the mobile space soon in my opinion. Not in the same way since mobile still has a bunch of nimble indie developers in it but the Rovios and ngmocos of the world are going to get a similar reality gut check before too long, I'm certain of it. Gold rushes always run dry eventually.

The thing is, we've learned that Zynga did it wrong. We learned that being tied solely to Facebook is wrong.

I don't think anyone has learned that casual and micro-transaction-driven is wrong. Actually, that doesn't bug me. I'm not sure many have learned that forcing those aspects into gameplay is wrong. You can do a great casual game. You can do a great game with microtransactions. It's when the game is shallow and clearly any gameplay comes just from buying crap that it becomes... Zynga.

Companies still try that crap (WarZ, from what I hear.) Others have learned to create games anyone can play, but take time and skill to master, and may have some microtransactions.

But casual games, given that most are on mobile where stores are a nightmare, are so hit and miss. I know many guys who left great developers to start their own iOS/Android company. More power to'm, suddenly they're making games with just 5 people and having a blast, but you never know if that game will sell or just go unnoticed. Quality doesn't seem a huge factor in that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 22:04 Parallax Abstraction

Beamer wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 20:06:
Funny how much can change in 2 years. 2 years ago many supposedly wise people were predicting that Zynga was "the future of PC gaming", and were proclaiming that gaming on a PC would forever be the domain of grandma playing Farmville on Facebook.

Shows you just how useless the majority of "analysts" are. Most of the time, they're just getting paid large sums of money to talk out of their asses. Pachter and Dent are prime examples of this.

It wasn't just analysts. Were you at GDC 2009? Or was it 2010? Whichever the case, every single panel talked about Zynga. Every single one. Developers, not analysts, were falling all over themselves to figure out how to be more like Zynga, or how to go to Zynga (look at all the amazing PC developers that flocked there. Half the Civ 2-4 teams!)

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying only analysts were pumping the Kool-Aid. They may have started the ball rolling and much like the financial collapse, continued to pimp the company as a sure bet until reality made it impossible but a lot of other people drank the Kool-Aid wholesale. The same reckoning's coming to the mobile space soon in my opinion. Not in the same way since mobile still has a bunch of nimble indie developers in it but the Rovios and ngmocos of the world are going to get a similar reality gut check before too long, I'm certain of it. Gold rushes always run dry eventually.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 20:06 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 17:44 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:00:
It's like that famous experiment The Economist did back in the 80s when they randomly picked a bunch of financial experts and a bunch of blue collar guys and the workers were the overwhelming winners.

Let's see how our NFL picks did against the experts. The best expert went 179-77 for the season. Or basically 70%. I'm pretty sure several of us went better than that.

Creston

3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 17:00 Cutter

It's like that famous experiment The Economist did back in the 80s when they randomly picked a bunch of financial experts and a bunch of blue collar guys and the workers were the overwhelming winners.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 15:04 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 13:54 Beelzebud

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo