Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 13, 2013, 19:51 killer_roach

Julio wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 16:12:
No need for 4k as well, I can only imagine how long it would take to download a 4k movie since that's how it seems they're distributing them. I'd also need a rack of hard drives to store all the 4k content. Bluray works well enough.

I skipped 3D, I'll skip Ultra HD.

I think what will put the kibosh on Ultra HD for consumer content is simply the fact that film distributors aren't going to sell to consumers the same resolution of content that they're currently selling to theaters. Even a lot of older stuff is likely pretty much maxed out at 4k (hell, quite a few film transfers of older films are only done in 2k), and they're not likely to get theaters to shell out for 8k projection when they already made them cough up the dough for all this 3D crap.

Basically, the distributors and the theaters would flip out over a flattening of the content quality chain.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 13, 2013, 19:04 HorrorScope

From a gaming perspective the higher the def you just ask more from your system cutting FPS. The loss in sharpness running non-native resolutions is usually atrocious.  

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 13, 2013, 16:12 Julio

No need for 4k as well, I can only imagine how long it would take to download a 4k movie since that's how it seems they're distributing them. I'd also need a rack of hard drives to store all the 4k content. Bluray works well enough.

I skipped 3D, I'll skip Ultra HD.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 13, 2013, 15:36 DangerDog

I upgraded to 2550x1440 27" display and let me tell you those are some tiny pixels. I love having the extra screen space though.

I'd need to do a major hardware upgrade to run 3840x2160, I'm surprised that my GTX285 can handle 1440 - though I don't run games with ultra high settings.

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 13, 2013, 15:22 wtf_man

I agree with the article. Plus, I'm not going to re-purchase my collection, yet again... I just got a majority of it on Blu-Ray, and got rid of a majority of my DVDs... a few years ago it was VHS vs. DVDs.

1080p is more than enough... I can already see the actor's and actresses' bad skin under the makeup... don't WANT more detail! Puke

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 13, 2013, 15:00 jdreyer

I'd like an ultra hd display, for pc gaming! Not gonna pay 2500 for one tho. I'll check out prices in a couple of years and assess then.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo