Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 16:43 eRe4s3r

You misunderstood I meant upgrade, not update. Small mental misfire, big effect. I meant I upgraded an AMD Platform with a non-existent upgrade path. Since AMD is nearly folded now there is no hope for AM3 platform ever getting a proper 8 core follow up (and even if, the mobo is dead, hence stupid "update" of my old platform..)

M4A79XTD EVO is my mobo = AM3+ platform.

Also I am talking about SATA6 vs SATA3 (SSD related) this mobo only has SATA3, but my SSD can do the full Sata6 speed. That means 50% less IO performance.
And PCI-E 2.0 vs PCI-E 3.0 (GPU related) but that has no noticeable effect.. so far

And yeah, I know I can fix the fan thing.. but I feel like I am putting more money in a dead-end system.

As for craigslist or alternatives. There are no really big ones. There is one thing that's half-way popular but not everywhere called meinestadt.de where I could probably try to sell it for dunno, 100 or something but it'd leave me with the burden of getting the damn thing to the buyer. Or ask him to come here, both are options I don't really like. I was thinking of a 3rd party that sells used stuff and buys used stuff up. But all the platforms for that are for specific things, not cannibalized high end PC platforms that need some love.

I am unhappy with the CPU by the way, it is about 50% slower per core than a non OC'd high level I7

Of course, if I wanted that CPU , I could throw away everything in my PC except the drives and gpu... not a good upgrade and more junk I'd need to sell somehow!

I could not find a Socket 2011 Mainboard that had everything I wanted, including -1- PCI slot. I absolutely need 1 (normal) PCI slot.. I am getting kinda tired of this whole mess.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2013, 17:02.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 13:15 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 11:58:
Meh computers is a sore spot for me.. I did an extremely stupid update back in the days. Now I am on a hexacore AMD 1090T... with 16GB ram and a mobo that can neither handle the RAM properly (at fully speed) nor my 512gb SSD. (it's about half as fast as it could be..) not even my GPU (pci-e 2.0 vs pci-e 3.0) and an X-FI Audio (now you can laugh, but this card still works, and I will not replace it with onboard sound, I have sadly a high-end but older 5.1 sound system so no optical digital input...

And now the cpu fan is starting to make squeaky noises (you know how it is with AMD standard fans.. I absolutely hated them back in the days, it is always the -1- fan in my PC that breaks. ALWAYS.

I wish there was some way to just.. sell the PC without HDD's and GPU. But here in Germany I have no idea how to even APPROACH selling a PC that has some parts but not all parts (GPU and HDD would be missing). There is no market for it! Modern desktop PC's are so cheap nobody is buying old PC's...

I sound like a old person damnit! But I don't wanna throw away a 6 core CPU that still can handle everything on the planet (except Planetside 2)

What's the CPU problem specifically? Have you flashed the motherboard BIOS (sorry if too obvious)? It sounds like a BIOS issue. If the parts were incompatible, it seems to me they wouldn't work at all. I've not heard of parts only working at half speed b/c of the CPU. Is the SSD "slow" b/c it's hooked up to SATA 3 instead of SATA 6? It should still be way faster than a HDD even on SATA 3.

Replacing the CPU fan is pretty simple though. Here's what I have in my machine, and it only cost me $27 USD. I added an extra fan so I have 2 x 12cm running in a push-pull config. You can't go wrong with any of the Coolermaster Hyper series coolers.

Is there no equiv of Craigslist in Germany? CL is so old I can't imagine that someone in Germany hasn't copied it.

I get what you mean about not getting rid of old PCs. I have 7 here that I'm not using (not including the 3 that are used). I keep thinking that I'll convert them to linux servers or something, but never seem to find the time. It's driving my wife crazy.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

24. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 11:58 eRe4s3r

Meh computers is a sore spot for me.. I did an extremely stupid update back in the days. Now I am on a hexacore AMD 1090T... with 16GB ram and a mobo that can neither handle the RAM properly (at fully speed) nor my 512gb SSD. (it's about half as fast as it could be..) not even my GPU (pci-e 2.0 vs pci-e 3.0) and an X-FI Audio (now you can laugh, but this card still works, and I will not replace it with onboard sound, I have sadly a high-end but older 5.1 sound system so no optical digital input...

And now the cpu fan is starting to make squeaky noises (you know how it is with AMD standard fans.. I absolutely hated them back in the days, it is always the -1- fan in my PC that breaks. ALWAYS.

I wish there was some way to just.. sell the PC without HDD's and GPU. But here in Germany I have no idea how to even APPROACH selling a PC that has some parts but not all parts (GPU and HDD would be missing). There is no market for it! Modern desktop PC's are so cheap nobody is buying old PC's...

I sound like a old person damnit! But I don't wanna throw away a 6 core CPU that still can handle everything on the planet (except Planetside 2)

23. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 11:43 Ant

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 11:32:
Yeah but what for? I don't watch TV except sometimes the news on the morning As few others said, it's going out when it's broken. I don't replace devices unless I absolutely have to. ^^
/me nods. Now, upgrading/replacing computers is a different story.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

22. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 11:32 eRe4s3r

Yeah but what for? I don't watch TV except sometimes the news on the morning As few others said, it's going out when it's broken. I don't replace devices unless I absolutely have to. ^^  

21. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 10:23 Verno

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 10:02:
I still have a 20 year old CRT for TV from a company that folded like 2 days after I bought it on a "everything must go" sale.. so whatever.. it still works.. and TV is still horrible crap here. I see no need for HD or blurry LCD TV (because 60% of the content here is still in SD)

Go watch Touching the Void on a 50" Plasma, you'll get it

There are a ton of benefits to moving to HD, HD to 4K, not so much.

Regular TV is still mostly in SD but you can get your TV in all HD if you don't care about the legalities.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

20. Re: I still use a CRT TV. Jan 14, 2013, 10:08 nin

@nin, very funny wiseguy

Hey, she's a Queen, right???????????????

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

19. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 10:02 eRe4s3r

I still have a 20 year old CRT for TV from a company that folded like 2 days after I bought it on a "everything must go" sale.. so whatever.. it still works.. and TV is still horrible crap here. I see no need for HD or blurry LCD TV (because 60% of the content here is still in SD)  

18. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 09:16 Ant

Verno wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 08:36:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 08:12:
It may not happen in the next five years, but 4k will eventually become the at home standard. It's simply the nature of things...

Maybe but I won't be upgrading my TV until it stops working and isn't repairable.
Ditto for my current old setups. They work fine for me for now. I am not the type of person who likes to upgrade, buy the latest, etc.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

17. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 08:36 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 08:12:
It may not happen in the next five years, but 4k will eventually become the at home standard. It's simply the nature of things...

Maybe but I won't be upgrading my TV until it stops working and isn't repairable.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

16. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 08:12 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: I still use a CRT TV. Jan 14, 2013, 06:39 jdreyer

Ant wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 22:31:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 22:06:
Ant wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 20:38:
20" Sharp brand from January 1996.

I had one of those! When I moved overseas, I gave it to my mother and she still has it in her bedroom.
I wonder if it is the same model? Mine is 196-M60 (76 watts).

I would check if I lived closer. I don't recall top of my head. I remember watching college hoops on it while cooking swordfish in my studio.

@nin, very funny wiseguy

14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 00:54 Silicon Avatar

More resolution is fine with me. I suspect consumer adoption will be slow though.

13. Re: I still use a CRT TV. Jan 14, 2013, 00:27 Jensen

I'm all for higher, even unnecessary, resolutions for TVs and phones.

Higher resolution phone panels will mean the Oculus Rift can get higher resolutions faster :-)

UHD TV panels will be better for passive 3D. Also, it may finally push forward PC monitor resolutions. I'd love to have a curved 8K monitor.

It also may push GPUs to be faster, even low end ones.

12. Re: I still use a CRT TV. Jan 13, 2013, 22:31 Ant

I had one of those! When I moved overseas, I gave it to my mother and she still has it in her bedroom.
I wonder if it is the same model? Mine is 196-M60 (76 watts).

11. Re: I still use a CRT TV. Jan 13, 2013, 22:29 Ant

nin wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 22:17:

Ant...

jdreyer's mom's bedroom...

hmmm...

This is so awkward...

10. Re: I still use a CRT TV. Jan 13, 2013, 22:17 nin

Ant...

jdreyer's mom's bedroom...

hmmm...

This is so awkward...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: I still use a CRT TV. Jan 13, 2013, 22:06 jdreyer

8. I still use a CRT TV. Jan 13, 2013, 20:38 Ant

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 13, 2013, 20:36 Tom

2560x1440 @ 27" is where it's at. Mmn mmn good. The additional pixels are quite helpful for most everything except video.

Resolution is all about display size vs. viewing distance. Ultra HD makes sense once you pass a certain threshold of display size vs. viewing distance. Pretty overkill for your typical living room, but useful for gaming up close.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2013, 23:14.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo