Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

One home team and one road team won yesterday, just like I picked it, but I was still 0-2 in what's turning out to be a remarkably unimpressive attempt at predicting the NFL playoffs. The games were wonderfully competitive though, living up to the cliché that the divisional round is the best week of football of the season. Here's hoping today's games are equally entertaining.

R.I.P.: Eugene Patterson, 89, voice on civil rights, dies.
R.I.P.: World's oldest woman dies at 115.

Entertaining Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Steppin' Stones.
Links: This Isn't the Petition Response You're Looking For. Thanks The Flying Penguin.
Stories: Fla. 'python challenge' draws about 800 hunters. Thanks brother19.
Media: Science is Pretty Freaking Awesome!.
Awesome Double Donuts: Guy Drifts Two BMWs Simultaneously.
The Funnies: When your house is burning down, you should brush your teeth - The Oatmeal.
EXTRALIFE – By Scott Johnson - The K is for Krave.
The thing about tablets…
Follow-up: Family blames US attorneys for death of Aaron Swartz.
Haiti quietly marks 3rd anniversary of quake.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2013, 20:42 xXBatmanXx

Family blames US attorneys for death of Aaron Swartz.

*facepalm*

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Python hunt Jan 14, 2013, 12:59 jdreyer

@ Rigs

You make a good case for not moving to FL. Stunned

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2013, 11:21 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 11:14:
It is really hard to argue with that logic Creston except that I don't think people give Seattle enough credit in this case. They came out in the second half on a mission and Atlanta did what championship teams do, they weathered the storm and managed to be the one with the most points when the clock ran out. As I said, the situation makes the whole "worst 13-3 team ever" logic hard to argue with, but having watched Seattle play SF twice this year, I would be careful about blaming Atlanta for that so much as giving Seattle proper credit for gutting out that game when they could have just as easily checked out and started getting ready for the off-season.

Obviously it takes a team on the other side of the field to make you choke up a 20 point lead, but ONE SINGLE DRIVE from Matt Ryan would have prevented the whole thing, and he got going nowhere. But will happily give Seattle some kudos. They've been a pretty good "Team nobody wants to face" this year, and they've definitely given me some excellent games to watch. I hope the NFL will schedule them a few games in prime time next season.

Creston

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2013, 11:14 Jivaro

It is really hard to argue with that logic Creston except that I don't think people give Seattle enough credit in this case. They came out in the second half on a mission and Atlanta did what championship teams do, they weathered the storm and managed to be the one with the most points when the clock ran out. As I said, the situation makes the whole "worst 13-3 team ever" logic hard to argue with, but having watched Seattle play SF twice this year, I would be careful about blaming Atlanta for that so much as giving Seattle proper credit for gutting out that game when they could have just as easily checked out and started getting ready for the off-season.

edit: I will say this though...I believe you can coach yourself into a loss. I said earlier that the Broncos secondary basically cost them the game. I also think that John Fox cost them the game. You have first ballot Hall of Famer Peyton Manning and you kneel on the ball with 30 seconds and timouts? You run the ball on 3rd down and "have to have it"? I mean, what? If your quarterback was Mark Sanchez, I get it...but Peyton Manning? I think John Fox is as much to blame for Denver losing that game as anyone. I say htis with my point being that Mike Smith nearly did the same thing. They came out in the second half with the wrong mindset and coaching strategy. In stead of coming out with the concept being "step on their throats and choak the life out of their season" they decided to go with "just don't do anything to lose the game". Kind of like the prevent defense has a way of preventing you from winning, their offense was preventing them from scoring. That doesn't even begin to cover whatever the special teams coach was thinking. Not just that onside kick mess but the kicking game strategy in general. Right now, after watching that game yesterday, I think the Atlanta team is for real but I wonder if their coaches do.

This comment was edited on Jan 14, 2013, 11:22.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2013, 11:03 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 10:43:
At the same time, I have been doubting that Atlanta was for real all season. I think it is safe to say now that they are for real.

Funny, I had the exact opposite reaction after watching them choke away a 20 point lead in the 2nd half. Lots of very knowledgeable NFL people (not the ESPN dildos, but actually smart football people) have been saying that Atlanta's basically the worst 13-3 team ever, and I think it pretty much showed yesterday.

Yes, Matt Ryan had an incredible 2 play drive to get his team into field goal range, and I'm not going to downplay what they did in the first half, but a good team doesn't choke away a 20 point lead. A good team does what the Pats did. Up 17-3, opponent TD, bad drive, opponent field goal, suddenly you're only up by 4. Half time. Come back out, drive down the field, put the fucking dagger in and score a TD.

Every time that Ryan got the ball again in the 2nd half, he looked like a deer caught in the headlights. He genuinely looked panicked several times, as if he was thinking "oh god, don't get me the ball again!!!"

I heard a lot of people moaning about the Falcons' defense, but it's not their fault that they're giving up TDs when they've been forced to be on the field the ENTIRE second fucking half. Matt Ryan gave them like 50 second reprieves and then, hey, another 4 and 12, back on the field, guys!

No defense can keep that up.

So 49'ers vs Falcons? I think Vegas can't make that line high enough. (in SF's favor.)

Creston

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2013, 10:43 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 08:37:
Can't believe the Broncos choked so hard, it was their game to lose for sure.

There will be changes made to the Broncos' secondary in the off-season, guaranteed. The rest of the team played well enough to win, but three of the starting four DBs had what I have to imagine to be the worst performances of their playoff careers. Champ Bailey looked even older then he is and both safeties looked like they just walked off a JC practice squad.

Amazing season for the Broncos though, and their loss sets up a rematch between the Pats and Ravens in the AFC Championship. If you call yourself a NFL fan you have to be looking forward to that. Lewis versus Brady one more time and the Ravens get a shot to makeup for last year's gut wrenching loss. Good stuff.

Being a 49er fan I am obviously looking forward to the NFC Championship game. I have expected my team to get there again all year, but I was honestly concerned that Green Bay (and in particular Aaron Rodgers) was too hot to beat. Glad I was wrong. At the same time, I have been doubting that Atlanta was for real all season. I think it is safe to say now that they are for real. I still think the 49ers are the best team in the NFC, but I definitely take Atlanta far more seriously now then I did 48 hours ago. Particularly their running game.

The NFC game has the potential to be just as entertaining as the AFC game and this past weekend was certainly fun to watch.....as a fan of the sport that makes me happy. Too often these playoff games don't live up to the hype.

27. Re: Python hunt Jan 14, 2013, 09:21 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 06:47:
Actually, Rigs, I was wondering if you were going to the python hunt.

Wow, I read that one wrong, eh? My bad...no, I hate FL as it is so I don't need to do anything that's going to 'endear' me more to this god-forsaken land...especially man-eating reptiles and lord knows what else lives down that way...

I actually went through the Everglades once, part of a 'round-trip road-trip'(c) to help a friend run a van from Jacksonville to Ft. Lauderdale and then over to Ft. Meyers and back up here...NEVER AGAIN! After dropping the van off, five of us crammed into my fiance`'s poor '89 Mercury Topaz (my friend, at the time, weighed in excess of 300 pounds) and ran the I-75 line across the 'Glades, which is desolate. We got about three-quarters through and hit an afternoon storm that dropped visibility to nearly nothing and a few feet. I slowed down to a crawl but there was no where to pull over or stop and only turn-arounds every so often (like a long causeway or bridge, really...and now that I check Google maps, I see it's totally changed since I was there, figures). Keep in mind it was the dead of summer, about 90 degrees and 100% humidity, NO A/C (of course) and we were all tired and cranky. The rain let up a little bit after some time and, I shit you not, someone said, 'well, at least we didn't blow a tire or something' and about thirty seconds later we heard a loud screech and then the alternator belt snapped off, with a loud thud as pieces hit the underside of the hood! (for about two years until we finally replaced it, again, we ended up going through about 200 alternator belts because the first replacement to the original was mounted wrong and it took us that long for someone who knew what the fuck they were doing to fix it (I'm not mechanically inclined)) When the battery light popped on, I knew what it was so I just kept going and we finally made it to the other side.

Now that I think about it, I feel bad for that poor car. We put that thing through hell and while it broke a lot, as most cars would, it still didn't break catastrophically. (My ex did break it permanently after our split and it now sits in a field somewhere to live out it's days in peace) The worst things were what happened above and loosing the whole exhaust, muffler and all, while we were going through Jacksonville on our way from NJ to home in 2001, at the intersection of I-10 and I-95. In the middle of four lanes of traffic, doing about 60mph and all of a sudden, *Babam!*, and I looked in the rear-view mirror to watch the cars behind us part like the Red Sea as the muffler and pipe went skittering along the road. I never even let off the gas, just kept going...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2013, 08:37 Verno

Can't believe the Broncos choked so hard, it was their game to lose for sure.  

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

25. Re: Python hunt Jan 14, 2013, 06:47 jdreyer

Actually, Rigs, I was wondering if you were going to the python hunt.

24. Re: Python hunt Jan 14, 2013, 06:44 jdreyer

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 02:38:
Seriously Rigs, how do you do it?
I find baseball boring as hell.... but to watch 20 cars going in circles?!? The ONLY good thing about Nascar racing is when shit goes wrong and you see flames and debris flying all over the place!

The day they put weapons on Nascar's is the day I will proudly proclaim I am the biggest Nascar fan in the history of the sport.

We really need a Interstate 76 reboot...

What we really need is an I 76 kickstarter...

23. Re: Python hunt Jan 14, 2013, 04:22 Rigs

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 02:38:
I find baseball boring as hell.... but to watch 20 cars going in circles?!? The ONLY good thing about Nascar racing is when shit goes wrong and you see flames and debris flying all over the place!

The day they put weapons on Nascar's is the day I will proudly proclaim I am the biggest Nascar fan in the history of the sport.

It's really not that bad, to be honest. Yes, some races are pretty boring, usually the 'cookie-cutter' tracks like Kansas and Chicago in the middle of the season I don't typically watch unless I'm trying to take a nap...lol...But it's exciting on the larger tracks such as Daytona and Tally, with speeds up to and over 200mph, with bump drafting, it can get nerve-wracking in the final laps when you want your driver (#2, Brad Keslowski, in Rusty's Wallace's old car, who was my fav until he retired) to win and not get caught up in a last lap 'Big Juan'. (Or alternatively you want the punks to wreck out, #24 Jeff Gordon and #48 Jimmy Johnson) It's cool to watch on the super-small tracks like Martinsville and Bristol for all the bumping and pushing, especially the night races. Most cars come out pretty beat up from those.

In addition to all that, have you ever tried actually racing a stock car at a track? It's not easy, and certainly not as easy as it looks on tv! I took a 30-lap driving course in one at Pocono years ago and nearly pissed my pants! Then you get into a simulator like Nascar Racing 2003 or iRacing and it takes a long time to get good, especially at the 'flat' tracks like LV, Indy, Homestead and Cali.

For all that, I'll admit that the last few years my interest has been waning, but with the introduction of the new Gen6 cars, I'm really getting into it again. The cars look like real race cars now, not sheet metal boxes with stickers made to look authentic. Seriously, check the new cars out, they look much better than before! In fact, it's sparked some interest in me in giving the ol' Bluesnews car a makeover...it's in serious need of one... Cool

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

22. Re: Python hunt Jan 14, 2013, 02:38 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

21. Re: Python hunt Jan 14, 2013, 02:33 Rigs

jdreyer wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:49:
Rigs, you in?

Oh, sorry, guys, I was busy watching a replay of the three day Thunder testing of the Gen6 car in Daytona...what's this 'football' you speak of? I'm not a big fan of soccer...

I called my pics yesterday, when they were tied...

Rigs wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 19:19:
Speaking of the game, since I didn't do my picks yet and the game is tied, 28 to 28 (who knew?), I'm gonna give 'em since I'm not technically cheating (no one's winning the game yet)...

Broncos, Packers, Falcons, Pats...may God have mercy on my soul...

and then...

Rigs wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 12:07:
Anyway, I think for now on you guys can just pick the opposite of whatever teams I pick...thus the story of my life and the reason why I don't play the lottery...

Unless I'm understanding you incorrectly...

=-Rigs-=

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 22:56 xXBatmanXx

Sepharo wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 22:13:
Enthusiasms.

Not many people get that joke when I say it. A classic.

Great football this weekend. True playoff football.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 22:13 Sepharo

Enthusiasms.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 21:13 sauron

Welp, I went 3/4 and was close to 4/4 if the Broncos hadn't choked.

I'll be sending the orcs over in the morning to take an accounting, but am not sure whether to dispatch them to Denver or to Ray Lewis's domicile. If the latter, we might need more orcs. He kind of bad ass.

Hey, did anyone else see that Time Warner cable has a bunch of old movies on HD On Demand? Watched The Untouchables on Friday night in HD for 3 clams. God De Niro is good as Al Capone in that movie.

Kittens!

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 19:55 Cutter

WELL?!?!?!

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

16. Python hunt Jan 13, 2013, 17:49 jdreyer

Rigs, you in?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 17:34 Creston

banddirector wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 16:44:
Really? The `Hawks, who *nobody* thought would even make the playoffs, let alone win a game, were 25 seconds from knocking off the #1 seed.

Funny enough, Simmons picked them to win the Superbowl.

Creston

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 17:33 Creston

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 16:15:
Wow, i couldnt believe that onside kick of atlanta at the end, but they escaped even though it seemed like they didnt want to win...

Yeah that was a headscratcher of the most epic fucking proportions. To be honest, I don't think they so much meant to onside kick is as to just knuckle it and prevent a return run.

But it was TERRIBLY executed, and a terrible call by a TERRIBLE head coach. Just kick it the fuck out of bounds at the 20.

Creston

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo