Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Metaverse

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 14, 2013, 08:39 Beamer

s1mon75 wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 06:27:
"HBO isn't in the content business, they're in the subscriber business."

Business changes, consumers change. If they dont, they go out of business.

Or they lobby governments to continue to support an archaic business model.

Their business model is dead, they just dont know it yet.

Switching from that is not an easy thing. And keep in mind - their subscriber revenues are not falling, and they have HBO GO in place for when it does.

Why would they ever, EVER, switch to Plan B while Plan A is thriving?

Keep in mind that offering their content outside of subscriptions is almost definitely not in their deals with cable providers. So it would put them at serious contract risk. It would force them to re-evaluate, and it would make their product less valuable to cable companies, so it would put them in a bad legal position and ultimately result in them getting less money per subscriber.
Keep in mind that they'd probably also get less money per digital subscriber than actual subscriber, so they do not want people to switch.
And keep in mind that their service would likely be subscriber, not pay for content, and likely be premium priced at $20 a month. A huge chunk of online viewers would probably still pirate, thinking this is too much money.

It makes no sense for HBO to switch now. None. Especially since they can switch last minute when they need to. But sacrificing the golden cow this early is just plain stupid. I get that people HERE watch online, and I get that people HERE think what they do is indicitive of what Americans do, but it isn't. We're a solid 10 years ahead of this curve. HBOs subscriber base is aging, true, as younger people cut cords, but that older base is absolutely thriving, and the younger base is doing extremely well with people that find it easier to just turn on the TV and watch something with their family than to seek it out online.

Again, you don't hear HBO really complaining much about pirates. Why? Because HBO doesn't really care. They know they make no real offering to pirates and, hell, mentioning pirates just reminds their subscribers that it's an option.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 14, 2013, 06:47 Orphic Resonance

Denthor wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 18:29:
It just comes down to availability imo.

like money in general

thats why i take what i want - and fuck everyone else

.. right?

16. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 14, 2013, 06:27 s1mon75

"HBO isn't in the content business, they're in the subscriber business."

Business changes, consumers change. If they dont, they go out of business.

Or they lobby governments to continue to support an archaic business model.

Their business model is dead, they just dont know it yet.

15. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 20:05 Beamer

Denthor wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:52:
Julio wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 16:14:
I completely agree that content owners seem to want to make it difficult for people to be legit, and buy that content outside of the US...but

Why not just import it from another country and use a region free player?

But that is entirely the point he's trying to make. Why does the customer have to jump through all these hoops to try and do the right thing. They're making it very difficult to pay for stuff and obtain it in a timely fashion.

When it's easier to make purchases at a reasonable price piracy will drop off as proven with netflix (see http://tinyurl.com/ahg7ed6 ).

HBO isn't in the content business, they're in the subscriber business. Their content exists to drive subscriptions.

If they went to Netflix, or something like it, people would have less of a reason to subscribe. They'd lose more subscribers than they currently do to piracy. Yeah, they'd get some money back, but their entire business is designed around subscriptions. Losing that would be very, very, very painful.

They won't detatch any time soon. It would require a drastic internal shift, one companies rarely make willingly. One that their owner won't let them do.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 18:29 Denthor

Julio wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:58:
There's no reason he 'needs' to pirate game of thrones season 2 when he can import a bluray copy. Just because there's a bit of work involved doesn't mean one should pirate it.

It just comes down to availability imo. It's easier to pirate. You can't argue that. Until that changes i don't think piracy numbers will ever drop off. It's a digital world and they're still trying to practice business models based around 1990. Until the dinosaurs in the suits making the business decisions move on little will change.

13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 17:58 Julio

Denthor wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:52:
But that is entirely the point he's trying to make.

There's no reason he 'needs' to pirate game of thrones season 2 when he can import a bluray copy. Just because there's a bit of work involved doesn't mean one should pirate it.

Otherwise I agree with him. Content providers could be making much more money by having their content available in all regions at the same time.

I'd also like to see identical worldwide pricing, but that's not likely to happen either.

12. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 17:52 Denthor

Julio wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 16:14:
I completely agree that content owners seem to want to make it difficult for people to be legit, and buy that content outside of the US...but

But that is entirely the point he's trying to make. Why does the customer have to jump through all these hoops to try and do the right thing. They're making it very difficult to pay for stuff and obtain it in a timely fashion.

When it's easier to make purchases at a reasonable price piracy will drop off as proven with netflix (see http://tinyurl.com/ahg7ed6 ).

11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 16:14 Julio

s1mon75 wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 12:21:
Sweet! This means for 10 years or more I, as an Australian will be forced to Pirate HBO's content if I wish to watch it within a reasonable time frame.

10. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 14:11 Orphic Resonance

s1mon75 wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 12:21:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 08:26:
s1mon75 wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 07:34:
Sweet! This means for 10 years or more I, as an Australian will be forced to Pirate HBO's content if I wish to watch it within a reasonable time frame.

like you actually need a reason to pirate tv shows..

gimme a fucking break

And you know this how? Mate, I earn $180k a year, have a custom built, dedicated cinema room. My bluray collection is epic, and it should be, I would hate to think how much its cost me. Yet I still can not buy the bluray edition of Game of Thrones Season 2.

I am forced to Pirate, not because im a cheap ass, but because I cant get access to high quality TV shows and movies. Unless I wait 6 months to a year.

Dont believe everything you hear in the media, its unbecoming and makes you look like a bloody idiot.

whoa! im so impressed

9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 12:21 s1mon75

gimme a fucking break

And you know this how? Mate, I earn $180k a year, have a custom built, dedicated cinema room. My bluray collection is epic, and it should be, I would hate to think how much its cost me. Yet I still can not buy the bluray edition of Game of Thrones Season 2.

I am forced to Pirate, not because im a cheap ass, but because I cant get access to high quality TV shows and movies. Unless I wait 6 months to a year.

Dont believe everything you hear in the media, its unbecoming and makes you look like a bloody idiot.

8. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 09:30 Dmitri_M

gimme a fucking break
I agree that people pirate because they simply want stuff for free. That said, as someone who consumes a lot of US made media that doesn't live within the US these companies sure make it difficult for me to give them money. Whether it's audiobooks, MP3 purchases, films. I'm always working hard trying to find a way to legitimately pay for things, having to find online stores that don't lock me out over regional restrictions.

7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 08:26 Orphic Resonance

gimme a fucking break

6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 08:23 Dev

Fion wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 22:59:
The entire telecom industry in this country is 'scratch each others back, stay out of each others territory' so that they can each set their prices at a whim without ever having to worry about competing with each other.

Unfortunately they also give tens of millions to congress so the virtual monopoly will likely never go challenged on a country-wide basis.
And they are promptly refunded billions in government dollars, directly, or indirectly (such as tax breaks). Usually those billions are supposed to be for building out infrastructure. Strangely that infrastructure rarely seems to happen.

5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 13, 2013, 07:34 s1mon75

*the above was sarcasm for those with lower intellects* (eg, EA customers)

4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 12, 2013, 22:59 Fion

The entire telecom industry in this country is 'scratch each others back, stay out of each others territory' so that they can each set their prices at a whim without ever having to worry about competing with each other.

Unfortunately they also give tens of millions to congress so the virtual monopoly will likely never go challenged on a country-wide basis.

3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 12, 2013, 21:50 killer_roach

Denthor wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 20:53:
Pretty sure HBO is owned or partly owned by Time Warner. That it self is the problem cable companies are holding on to outdated business models as one of their primary form of revenue is generated via cable subs and they don't want to risk any change to that. Instead of giving customers decent options they try to lock them in, where as, in reality they are just driving people to piracy.

Hence why they did the deal with Universal, which is owned by Comcast. Cable company scratching the back of cable company.

Almost wonder if this could merit FTC consideration for cartel formation (and possibly price fixing).

2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 12, 2013, 20:53 Denthor

Pretty sure HBO is owned or partly owned by Time Warner. That it self is the problem cable companies are holding on to outdated business models as one of their primary form of revenue is generated via cable subs and they don't want to risk any change to that. Instead of giving customers decent options they try to lock them in, where as, in reality they are just driving people to piracy.  

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 12, 2013, 19:51 Fion

I'm hoping for standalone HBO Go sooner rather than later. I barely watch TV on an actual TV these days. I'd probably cancel it entirely if I didn't have to pay for HBO just so I can use HBO Go. I'd very happily pay what I pay Time Warner Cable for HBO but directly to HBO themselves for streaming content.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo