Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Tech Bits

View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 14, 2013, 12:37 avianflu

They are "promising" 720p res if you have at least 6mbps speed internet. There's so many variables that can wreck havoc with this tech that I wish them well, but I am skeptical  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 13, 2013, 02:39 eRe4s3r

The answer is "yes, kinda" but ultimately "no, because it's a stupid idea, costs an insane amount of money and is an inferior experience in every way."

They even said that. It's for convenience.. it will never replace dedicated local hardware if you want to really.. game.

3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 13, 2013, 01:18 Creston

"[OnLive's] current implementation uses external hardware encoding, which takes a while," GeForce Grid product manager Andrew Fear told Ars. "When you're doing it like we're doing, on the GPU, it saves about 20ms of time for encoding over that. Also, through our drivers, we have a fast-pass recapturing encoding which saves another 10ms, so we can save about 30ms on the server. On the decode side, if we detect an Nvidia GPU, either a Tegra or a Geforce, we can use their decoder pack, which is also optimized, to save about 10 ms on the decode side. So overall we can save about 40 ms."

That's funny, because the onLive guy said all that took exactly 1ms in onLive.

Giggle

I think my favorite part of the whole onLive thing was him claiming he could encode everything into a stream in 1ms, and Youtube's best engineers were "That dude's on fucking meth."

Anyway, this is exactly the same thing as onLive was. Sure, sure, Nvidia's implementation is way better yadda yadda yadda, long story short, that data still needs to go over the internet, and you're still going to lose packets, and lose data, and get shitty graphics and input lag. Nvidia really did not magically cause the internet to no longer be unpredictable.

Creston

2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2013, 23:19 Lorcin

Can we get a simple yes or no at the end? I know the answer is no but I totally couldn't be bothered to read the article.  

1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jan 12, 2013, 22:10 Optional Nickname!

I now understand this cloud gaming nonsense less than I did before this Ars article.

Scale? Cost? Capabilities? WTF? Nothing about it makes any sense in its current configuration.

Don't bother explaining it, you don't understand it any better than I do and I care about it that much less! Ignoring

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo