Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy belated birthday to our good friend Ant. I remembered Frans on time this year, so something had to give. Sorry about that Ant, and thanks as always for passing along all the links of interest.

R.I.P.: Reddit Cofounder, Digital Activist Aaron Swartz Dead From Suicide at 26. Thanks nin.

Belated Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Bridge Builder.
Stories: "Crazy" Directors Helm McAfee Drama.
Images: "Every texture in the game should be of Nicolas Cage".
Media: The Most Amazing Footage Of The Moon In Decades.
How to Quit a Job.
Silo annihilated with ak-47. He hates these cans!

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2013, 02:04 xXBatmanXx

merc248 wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 17:41:
At the very least, we should look at how the system favors prosecutors too much.

Well...that REALLY depends on what you are talking about. I have arrested the same guy 2 times in a 24 hour period....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 14, 2013, 17:41 merc248

Aaron Shwartz accomplished way more than any of us could hope to accomplish. Remember SOPA? Aaron Shwartz started demandprogress.org to stop it. Do you use RSS feeds? He fucking helped make the spec when he was *12* when we were all playing Quake. Reddit? Yep, cocreated that shit. Freedom of information? Yeah we believe it, but he did something about it with PACER and JSTOR.

Damn you guys, jesus. Fucking peanut gallery.

At the very least, we should look at how the system favors prosecutors too much.

44. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 22:32 xXBatmanXx

It is 2013 - he is posting online about his depression. It is the duty of those around him to help him. Take it as you want. Suicide leaves a huge swatch of destruction - and it can be stopped. People just don't step in when they should.

That being said, he also should have sought help.

There is so much "awareness" about the problem....

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2013, 22:41.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

43. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 13, 2013, 21:00 NegaDeath

Flatline wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 17:15:
That's a rational statement. Suicide is an irrational act. When you're suicidal you don't see things logically or rationally. You're usually caught up in soul-crushing despair, to the point that not-existing seems like less pain than what you're feeling. Rational arguments or bon mots like "suicide is never the answer" can actually do more harm than good, because it increases the alienation and deepens the despair. Even one person tossing that out can make the suicidal person feel like the entire world is callous to where they're at and make the decision to kill yourself that much easier.

I can vouch for that. About 6 months ago after a rapid fire parade of shitty events in my life I went into a 1-week depression and had suicidal thoughts for the first time in my life. Food was tasteless, hobbies brought no joy, other people seemed alien to me. It isn't just feeling sad, you feel nothing like a machine. Your brain is literally not working properly under depression, logic has left the building. The primal urge to survive is one of the strongest drives we have, if it isn't working clearly something is broken up there. I used to think the same things about suicidal people, that its selfish and they're just being drama queens. As with many things in life until you experience it you can't understand it. They need help not scorn.

42. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 13, 2013, 17:35 UConnBBall

Once again how am I coming across as supporting the action of suicide? The part of misunderstanding is the thoughtless dismissal of a person who had committed suicide.

How is calling suicide a selfish act (Actually the ultimate selfish act) in any way saying I support it and that it is an acceptable answer? How can you reconstruct my words to bend to that idea of your point??????

41. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 13, 2013, 17:15 Flatline

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 11:01:
UConnBBall wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 09:15:
WOW THE IGNORANCE!!!!!

OK how about you get prosecuted for something that benefits all of you!!!

If you don't know the story and if you don't understand suicide SHUT UP!

This is a huge story about someone that has helped the world and yet you guys just ridicule someone that did a selfish act and killed himself and you guys belittle this "quasi-celebrity!" Learn about Aaron and stop being stupid.

Suicide is never the answer. There is no excuse.

That's a rational statement. Suicide is an irrational act. When you're suicidal you don't see things logically or rationally. You're usually caught up in soul-crushing despair, to the point that not-existing seems like less pain than what you're feeling. Rational arguments or bon mots like "suicide is never the answer" can actually do more harm than good, because it increases the alienation and deepens the despair. Even one person tossing that out can make the suicidal person feel like the entire world is callous to where they're at and make the decision to kill yourself that much easier.

The sad thing is that the solidarity that's being shown right now, with hundreds of paper authors basically doing what he did via twitter, might have been enough to crack the despair in him while he was still alive.

40. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 13, 2013, 12:43 UConnBBall

Huh?

Didn't someone say he was a brilliant person and what happened was a shame? I thought the same, he was railroaded because of who he is/was. Who's ridiculing who here?

Also I never said suicide was an answer it is a selfish jerk move and sad.

Quotes of Stupidity from this thread:

"Never heard of him. If he was so bright he would be alive"

"who cares? if you are looking for a reason to cry, you can find a million billion and more without having to resort to moaning about some quasi-celebrity

btw - that kind of melodramatic sentimental bullshit doesnt make you ethically superior to everyone else:

"
While I think Swartz was basically railroaded by the feds, I'm getting sick of the usual suspects already trying to turn him into some sort of a martyr. He misappropriated MIT's network in such a way that he could have inadvertently become a useful idiot to somebody doing something truly malicious, and probably deserved to spend time behind bars for his sheer stupidity.

That being said, should he have been facing decades in jail and been gagged from even being able to solicit funds for a legal defense? Absolutely not. Dumb is not the same as evil, and the federal prosecutors really botched this"

39. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 13, 2013, 12:07 Rigs

WOW THE IGNORANCE!!!!!

blah, blah >snip!<

Huh?

Didn't someone say he was a brilliant person and what happened was a shame? I thought the same, he was railroaded because of who he is/was. Who's ridiculing who here?

Anyway, I think for now on you guys can just pick the opposite of whatever teams I pick...thus the story of my life and the reason why I don't play the lottery...

I'm more stoked about the new Gen6 cars that just tested (and wrecked) in Daytona this week. Nice! They actually look much more like their production equivalents now. Seriously, I know you guys don't like NASCAR, but indulge me a bit and check out Nascar.com and the new look to the stock cars. Much better than the travesty that was the CoT (Car of Tomorrow) remodel a few years back (Real race cars don't have wings!)...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

38. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 13, 2013, 12:06 HorrorScope

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 11:01:
WOW THE IGNORANCE!!!!!

This is a huge story about someone that has helped the world and yet you guys just ridicule someone that did a selfish act and killed himself and you guys belittle this "quasi-celebrity!" Learn about Aaron and stop being stupid.

You are detained by enemy forces and they are going to torture you long and good, then kill you. You have a cyanide pill and decide to use it instead, still no good?

Your stuck in a contraption that you cannot escape, you know you will not be rescued, starvation is imminent. You have a cyanide pill, is it ok to use?

You have mental issues, voices in your head to kill. You have a strong urge to kill and will very very soon. However there is a slice of humanity just barley in you, instead of killing others, you know you have to kill yourself. Is that ok?

37. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 13, 2013, 11:01 xXBatmanXx

WOW THE IGNORANCE!!!!!

36. Re: RE: Follow up Jan 13, 2013, 09:15 UConnBBall

WOW THE IGNORANCE!!!!!

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 01:37 xXBatmanXx

Creston wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 01:27:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 01:23:
F the pack. He isn't "the best QB in the league".

Errr... by just about every measurable statistic he has been the best QB basically for the last three years.

Now, I have no problem saying that Brady has had a better career, and can thus be considered to be the better QB, but the past few years Rodgers has been playing better than Brady. (and Brees, and Manning etc.)

Creston

Sacked something like 50 times this year. Bummer.....f that pack.

Ok lets look at stats:
Although Rodgers had a slight edge with "QB Rating"
Manning had:
More completions
More yards per throw
Better %
More yards per game
He was also sacked 30 less times - and he is old and hurt!

The previous years, Brees matched (almost) Mannings 2012 stats, as well as Brady, beating Rodgers in all the same categories.

2010:
Tom Brady
Phillip Rivers
Aaaron Rodgers

And in all 3 yeards, Rodgers threw 400 yards less than the top 3.

Sorry, but you are wrong.

This comment was edited on Jan 13, 2013, 01:43.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 01:30 Ant

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 23:38:
Ant wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 23:05:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 19:22:
Can we downvote Ant's birthday?
Sure, but when did BN get voting options?

Blue, shame on you!

If BN EVER get's voting options you are NOT allowed to have access to them, your notorious across the interwebs
Um, maybe it is already there. ICN anyways. You're a thumb down forever.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 01:28 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 01:21:
Well it's no fucking good if the best QB in the league doesn't have time to do his job. Fucking Green Bay O line! Will they ever get it together? When they're on they're great but they have no consistency. And how many times did they need to let Kapernack run before they fucking adjusted for it?!!?!?!?!? It was the same shit as Denver, first half was great then the collapse started into the 3rd. Oh well, looks like it's going to be Pats and 49ers - and I already called the Pats for the Superbowl a while back.

The Pats haven't beaten the Ravens yet. Bawlmer has OWNED their ass the last two playoffs.

Creston

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 01:27 Creston

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 01:23:

Errr... by just about every measurable statistic he has been the best QB basically for the last three years.

Now, I have no problem saying that Brady has had a better career, and can thus be considered to be the better QB, but the past few years Rodgers has been playing better than Brady. (and Brees, and Manning etc.)

Creston

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 01:24 xXBatmanXx

On a lighter note - I have a friend selling the Black Ops 2 Digital Deluxe edition for $30.00. msg me.  

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 01:23 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 01:21:
Well it's no fucking good if the best QB in the league doesn't have time to do his job. Fucking Green Bay O line! Will they ever get it together? When they're on they're great but they have no consistency. And how many times did they need to let Kapernack run before they fucking adjusted for it?!!?!?!?!? It was the same shit as Denver, first half was great then the collapse started into the 3rd. Oh well, looks like it's going to be Pats and 49ers - and I already called the Pats for the Superbowl a while back.

And they didn't show him after the game - cause he ran off the field...

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 01:21 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 01:05 nin

MajorD wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 00:22:
Happy Birthday Ant. Cake

Yeah, Happy Birthday!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 13, 2013, 00:55 Fantaz

happy bday  

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >