Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Double Fine in THQ Mix

Distressed Debt Investing tweets that Double Fine is one of the companies vying for one or more of the IPs being sold off as part of THQ's bankruptcy proceedings: "THQ: Both Warner Brothers and Double Fine productions have asked for bankruptcy filings in the THQ case." Thanks VG247, who also note that THQ declined the opportunity to appeal its delisting from the NASDAQ stock market.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 13, 2013, 17:58 Dev

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 12:10:
LOL looking for more money? They asked for 400K and got 3.3 million. Programers they maybe, forecaster they must not.
Did you bother reading anything I said?

What happens in a project like this is everyone says "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we could add this feature?" And that feature gets put on the drawing board. At some point someone in charge has to say "yeah, no, because that would take too long and cost too much money", and features have to be restricted. At some point you do a feature lock, and start just polishing and bug fixing.

The alternative in a computer with basically unlimited resources is valve's method. Take 7+ years between hl games since no one is in charge.

They are showing the behind the scenes view of what most games go through. Some people are spazzing out because of that. Game development isn't all smooth sailing and roses.

They would LIKE to get a small amount of additional funding, through cannibalizing money from back catalog sales, or some such. BUT, they are also preparing to do it on budget if that doesn't happen.

Again, this is a natural process of game development. At some point you fix and/or narrow your game's scope and work on completing it. Its a little tough to have perpetual development like dwarf fortress or mine craft, in an adventure game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 13, 2013, 15:45 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 21:52:
Creston wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 17:46:
Ouch, really? :(
Its something I'm sure nearly all game projects go through. At some point the realization that you can't fit every feature possible into the available time and money for the project. While I think a lot of people may have been depressed over the last update, I'm actually encouraged by it, that they are keeping an eye on the budget and the progress that far in advance. In other words, rather than letting things slide until the last minute, they are keeping an eye on it. They are looking for possibility of getting funds elsewhere (NOT from publishers, but perhaps from some back catalog funds), but also looking that they may have to scale back some of the more expensive (aka time consuming) things they dream of doing.

I think its a very healthy process, and I think these documentaries should be watched by EVERYONE who wants to do a video game on kickstarter. See behind the scenes whats involved with doing a video game project.

(incidentally, I mentioned this in the last kickstarter thread )

I loved that serious business meeting with Tim where they presented him with three options and he was just like "uh lets do a little of each" and then everyone smiled and agreed. Bit of a cop out but still smart none the less.

26. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 13, 2013, 12:10 HorrorScope

LOL looking for more money? They asked for 400K and got 3.3 million. Programers they maybe, forecaster they must not.  

25. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 12, 2013, 21:52 Dev

Creston wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 17:46:
Ouch, really? :(
Its something I'm sure nearly all game projects go through. At some point the realization that you can't fit every feature possible into the available time and money for the project. While I think a lot of people may have been depressed over the last update, I'm actually encouraged by it, that they are keeping an eye on the budget and the progress that far in advance. In other words, rather than letting things slide until the last minute, they are keeping an eye on it. They are looking for possibility of getting funds elsewhere (NOT from publishers, but perhaps from some back catalog funds), but also looking that they may have to scale back some of the more expensive (aka time consuming) things they dream of doing.

I think its a very healthy process, and I think these documentaries should be watched by EVERYONE who wants to do a video game on kickstarter. See behind the scenes whats involved with doing a video game project.

(incidentally, I mentioned this in the last kickstarter thread )

24. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 12, 2013, 17:46 Creston

John wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 01:17:
Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 23:30:
I just hope they'll be careful. The last thing they want to do is give off the illusion that they're using their KS funds to do this...
After watching their latest documentary update, it sounds like they need more money to complete the DFA game so I don't think they'll be able to spare any of the KS funds.

Ouch, really?

Creston

23. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 12, 2013, 17:44 Dev

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 22:53:
Devinoch wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 20:22:
They're trying to buy Psychonauts back on the cheap, I imagine.

They already own the Psychonauts IP. Their publishing deal with Majesco expired a couple of years ago and all the rights reverted to them.
Incidentally this is why they did a recent patch or three for psychonauts to fix some issues (some were long term things that had been present since the retail release). They were unable to before since they didn't have the rights.

22. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 12, 2013, 13:44 killer_roach

Kajetan wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 04:27:
Yeah, they're only asking for information, it's not like they put any offers in or anything. And you're right, they might genuinely be able to pick something up on the cheap.
To my knowledge THQ published the retail versions of Stacking and Costume Quest. May be DF looks into a possibility to buy these distribution rights back.

That is correct, and definitely an excellent theory.

21. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 12, 2013, 04:27 Kajetan

Yeah, they're only asking for information, it's not like they put any offers in or anything. And you're right, they might genuinely be able to pick something up on the cheap.
To my knowledge THQ published the retail versions of Stacking and Costume Quest. May be DF looks into a possibility to buy these distribution rights back.

20. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 12, 2013, 03:04 eRe4s3r

So there is hope?  

19. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 12, 2013, 01:17 John

I just hope they'll be careful. The last thing they want to do is give off the illusion that they're using their KS funds to do this...
After watching their latest documentary update, it sounds like they need more money to complete the DFA game so I don't think they'll be able to spare any of the KS funds.

This space is available for rent

18. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 23:30 Creston

killer_roach wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 22:57:
Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 22:55:
Double Fine has that much spare cash lying around?

Creston

All things considered, they might be able to pick up something with the coins they found in one of the office sofas.

Creston

17. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 23:24 entr0py

John wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 23:02:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 22:34:
What would you rather have them be working on? Homeworld 3?
I sure would have preferred that! Do they still own the rights to Homeworld?

It seems that THQ acquired the rights to Homeworld back in 2007.

http://homeworld.wikia.com/wiki/Homeworld_3

If it's one of their IPs, I guess it might be up for sale right now. Personally I'd like to see Relic do something original that's not based on an existing IP. . . You know, like Double Fine is known for.

16. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 23:23 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 20:49:
Folding Volition and it's stable of games into DF would be divine...

It's a shame the Decent:Freespace ip is still owned by the smoldering ashes of Interplay (basically just the Caen brother's at this point) Volition has been such a solid studio over the years.

15. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 23:15 The Half Elf

My problem is Double Fine asked for 400k, ended up with 3 million. Where the fuck is the money coming from to buy ANYTHING? I love Tim, but this just REEEKS.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 23:14 killer_roach

John wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 23:02:

I'm pretty sure those rights are held by Activision after the folding of Sierra.

13. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 23:02 John

This space is available for rent

12. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 22:57 killer_roach

Creston wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 22:55:

Creston

All things considered, they might be able to pick up something with the coins they found in one of the office sofas.

11. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 22:55 Creston

Creston

10. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 22:53 Parallax Abstraction

Devinoch wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 20:22:
They're trying to buy Psychonauts back on the cheap, I imagine.

They already own the Psychonauts IP. Their publishing deal with Majesco expired a couple of years ago and all the rights reverted to them.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

9. Re: Double Fine in THQ Mix Jan 11, 2013, 22:46 Optional Nickname!

If only certain rights came into the public domain when the owning corporation dissolved.

How much richer we all would be.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo