Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Gamasutra - How retail figures may point to a coming disruption.
These new developers and publishers can make a living, even thrive, selling games at $1 or $2 per unit on platforms like iOS and Android. They are inheriting those consumers who no longer buy traditional game systems and physical game software, reeling them in with inexpensive or even free-to-play software with in-app purchases. These games simply cannot deliver the experience that Call of Duty can on a console, but they don't have to. They just have to be good enough and priced low enough for consumers to buy them.

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2013, 08:52 Verno

Spektr wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 08:02:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 00:37:
- Console gamers migrating to PC where they can save money and get the best versions of any given game.

I am not sure switching to pc is the best way to save money. The same consoles have been around for nearly ten years. At the same time pc gamers were compelled to buy new processors and new graphic boards whereas new games coming out didn't bring any technological revolution.
Look at Farcry3. Might be one of the few freeroaming FPS out there but can't say it brings much in terms of technology compared to Farcry2
Well console player can play it on same hardware whereas pc players can always read articles telling them their old graphic board will play farcry3 at less than 30fps max.

This gets into the old console vs PC cost argument. PC games are often cheaper thanks to DD. Most modern consoles do not last 10 years first of all and it might be outside of warranty to replace thanks to shrinking warranty periods and terms. Console peripherals are very expensive. You can often recycle most of the components in a PC upgrade. The list goes on.

The total cost of ownership between them is pretty close to the point where it's not really an issue except for upfront costs. I'm speaking mainly about the hardcore gamer here who buys many games, a casual gamer is much better served by a console.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2013, 08:02 Spektr

Jerykk wrote on Jan 11, 2013, 00:37:
- Console gamers migrating to PC where they can save money and get the best versions of any given game.

I am not sure switching to pc is the best way to save money. The same consoles have been around for nearly ten years. At the same time pc gamers were compelled to buy new processors and new graphic boards whereas new games coming out didn't bring any technological revolution.
Look at Farcry3. Might be one of the few freeroaming FPS out there but can't say it brings much in terms of technology compared to Farcry2
Well console player can play it on same hardware whereas pc players can always read articles telling them their old graphic board will play farcry3 at less than 30fps max.

4. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2013, 05:16 .Drifter

Throwing out online sales, and not counting Steam, kind of keeps him from proving his assertion, seeing as how he doesn't have all the data to make it with.
About all he ends up proving is that retail sales and revenue are down, which I can believe since most of the games I purchase are either from Amazon or via Steam/GoG.

As for software companies making a good bit on 1.00 games and free to play with in app purchases . . . I don't know I agree with that one either.
I've read quite a few stories about several iOS and Android app makers selling these cheap/free apps and barely scraping by.

This comment was edited on Jan 11, 2013, 05:27.

3. Re: Op Ed Jan 11, 2013, 00:37 Jerykk

His argument is based only on retail figures, so no digital distribution. I don't think those charts account for e-tailers like Amazon either.

So, there are a lot of variables that contribute to declining console game sales:
- Game prices going up.
- Increased used sales and rentals as a result of rising prices.
- Consoles losing momentum as they get closer to the end of their generation.
- Console gamers buying more games online than at retail due to convenience and pricing.

2. Re: Op Ed Jan 10, 2013, 22:10 StingingVelvet

jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 19:57:
Really? I honestly don't see much overlap here, so I don't think this is happening very much. Do hardcore, AAA gamers suddenly become casual gamers? No one I know (granted, anecdotal) has suddenly put down CoD to start playing Farmville. I do play more casual games than before, but only by virtue of the fact that I don't have to pay for them and might need a distraction when I'm not at my PC. I do play less games than before (family, kids, work) but I'm still playing the same kinds of games.

Yeah, Gamasutra continues to float this idea and it never made sense to me. Mobile gaming, tablet gaming, free to play, flash... none of it comes nowhere near replacing core PC gaming or console gaming. Maybe some day it will, but not now.

It's far more likely people just aren't up for paying $60 for an average game that looks the same as games 7 years ago did.

1. Re: Op Ed Jan 10, 2013, 19:57 jdreyer

Hmm, I'm surprised that he's coming to the conclusion that the market is polarizing into expensive and super cheap. I've never seen such a wide range of game prices in my life: everything from $2 to $100. And do his numbers include electronic only copies from Steam, GOG, Amazon, and other outlets? Where are these numbers coming from?

They are inheriting those consumers who no longer buy traditional game systems and physical game software, reeling them in with inexpensive or even free-to-play software with in-app purchases.

Really? I honestly don't see much overlap here, so I don't think this is happening very much. Do hardcore, AAA gamers suddenly become casual gamers? No one I know (granted, anecdotal) has suddenly put down CoD to start playing Farmville. I do play more casual games than before, but only by virtue of the fact that I don't have to pay for them and might need a distraction when I'm not at my PC. I do play less games than before (family, kids, work) but I'm still playing the same kinds of games.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo