Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Path of Exile Open Beta This Month

Grinding Gear Games announces that open beta testing of Path of Exile begins on January 23rd, offering the chance to sample this upcoming action/RPG. "We're excited to have reached the point where we can finally throw open the doors and invite everyone in," said Chris Wilson, producer for Grinding Gear Games. "We have one of the best and most supportive communities on the Internet, and their input has been invaluable in making Path of Exile what it is. We hope they'll be delighted with all the new content." The open beta will introduce content from Act 3, and there will be no character wipes after it begins. Here's more on the game:

Path of Exile is a PC online action role-playing game set in a dark fantasy world. Featuring ethical microtransactions, the game is free-to-play, but not pay-to-win. Playing as one of six character classes, players find themselves banished for their past misdeeds to the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. There, they will encounter hundreds of species of opponents laden with loot and mysterious artifacts as they explore the abandoned continent.

Key features of Path of Exile:

• A dark and deep action RPG
  • Build unlimited unique characters on a gigantic skill tree
  • Combine over 110 skill gems to create unique combat strategies
  • Explore a dark and gritty world rendered from a fixed 3D perspective
  • Download and play for free, but never 'pay-to-win'
  • Explore randomly generated levels for extreme replayability
  • Craft weapons, magic items and even end-game maps to become more powerful
  • Cooperate or compete with thousands of other exiles in a persistent online world
  • Ascend online ladders in every game mode
  • Battle in PVP tournaments for worldwide recognition

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

19. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 14:31 Darks

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 13:20:
Played the beta off and on over the last year. The game has really improved a lot over that time. The skill tree used to be a crazy mess, but now they've really made it much more interesting and balanced, but still allowing for all sorts of builds. Love the skill tree tool they have on their website for planning your build too!

There are a ton of skills and skill supports now, and they can completely change how you play. Everyone should be able to create a character that works for them and the style of play they like. I'll definitely be playing again when OB starts.

Iíve been on the beta since it started; Iíve also played it off and on. The one thing that bothers me about this game is the stupid Star map skill tree. I really think this could have been done much better. I donít need a road map to where Iím going to pick a skill, or an attribute. Just let me assign the thing, I donít need a graphical overlay showing how itís being done.

Other than that, the games not overall bad, but itís not overly great either. Comparing this to D3 would not be a fair assessment. D3 has its own perks and downfalls as does this game. This game feels much more like a D2 follow up and a good one at that.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 14:03 Yakubs

1AngryGamer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 13:41:
I thought this game was terrible. Those of you saying its better than D3? umm no

You may not like D3 due to your DRM phobias and the auction house but it still is a rockin game up until you have to become an Auction house whore. This game is no D3. Its barely Din's Curse

You know you have shallow taste when...

17. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 13:54 kunic

1AngryGamer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 13:41:
I thought this game was terrible. Those of you saying its better than D3? umm no

You may not like D3 due to your DRM phobias and the auction house but it still is a rockin game up until you have to become an Auction house whore. This game is no D3. Its barely Din's Curse

Did you even play it for more than 2 hours? PoE is significantly better than D3. In virtually every way it is a better game.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 13:20:
So if you played the game beta 4 5 questions

1) Are quests (are there quests?) you take instanced for you (and your group? are there groups? What size limit), or are they public property and so there is a large queue standing in front of a boss spawn?

2) How is PvP handled, can I choose not to partake, or can a high level dude walk into the newb areas of another race and kill everyone.

3) Random levels... how is that handled? Or has it the same problem as Diablo 3.. that is after a while you can see the "tells" of the "random" generator and so know instantly where everything is. Are overland maps random?

4) How is in-game communication handled... mail system? Is there an auction house and bank system? How does trade work (sorry, but what you wrote makes no sense to me... gold less trade?

5) Good story? AI companions?

These are the main things for me that nobody here ever explains properly. To me the primary factor of enjoyment (same for Diablo 3) is whether I can choose to play solo. I don't mind if it's online all that much, but if I don't want to be social on a day, does this game force me to be or not?

1) All areas are instanced, including for quests. When you form a party (forget the limit) all party members will play on the same instance. So there's no line to farm a boss or anything like that.

2) For the general game there is a sort of arena-style PvP. However in one of the games leagues you can invade other players and take their items. This is entirely optional however.

3) The levels for PoE are more randomized than any game in the genre in terms of dungeons. There aren't premade rooms; there are premade parts of the room such are door ways, pillars and such. Here's a video GGG put out on how levels are generated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcM9Ynfzll0

4) No AH, but there is a stash which is essentially your banking. You communicate via chat channels. No mail system.

5) The story is alright, but it's not in-your-face. It's there just for there to be a reason for your character to be doing what he/she is doing. No AI companions with the exception of being a minion master.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2013, 14:12.

16. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 13:41 Angrius Maximis

15. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 13:21 Undocumented Alien

Yeah, maybe it takes a bit to get into... I tried the open beta and it didn't really pull me in. Since it's "Free", I may try it again down the road when the pile of games are quieted down.  

14. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 13:20 eRe4s3r

So if you played the game beta 4 5 questions

1) Are quests (are there quests?) you take instanced for you (and your group? are there groups? What size limit), or are they public property and so there is a large queue standing in front of a boss spawn?

2) How is PvP handled, can I choose not to partake, or can a high level dude walk into the newb areas of another race and kill everyone.

3) Random levels... how is that handled? Or has it the same problem as Diablo 3.. that is after a while you can see the "tells" of the "random" generator and so know instantly where everything is. Are overland maps random?

4) How is in-game communication handled... mail system? Is there an auction house and bank system? How does trade work (sorry, but what you wrote makes no sense to me... gold less trade?

5) Good story? AI companions?

These are the main things for me that nobody here ever explains properly. To me the primary factor of enjoyment (same for Diablo 3) is whether I can choose to play solo. I don't mind if it's online all that much, but if I don't want to be social on a day, does this game force me to be or not?

13. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 13:20 Wowbagger_TIP

Played the beta off and on over the last year. The game has really improved a lot over that time. The skill tree used to be a crazy mess, but now they've really made it much more interesting and balanced, but still allowing for all sorts of builds. Love the skill tree tool they have on their website for planning your build too!

There are a ton of skills and skill supports now, and they can completely change how you play. Everyone should be able to create a character that works for them and the style of play they like. I'll definitely be playing again when OB starts.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

12. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 12:34 Theo

I like it, the combats frankly a little stagnent like has been said, and i REALLY dont think the skill tree consitutes good design. I still think if you like action RPGs you will enjoy it and as is mentioned below the devs are at least supporting some good old school features that should keep old school arpg players happy.

Its REALLY unexciting early on, (least compared to say TL2), but it is a good game.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

11. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 12:25 Axis

You know I'll be chiming in on this thread!

Simply put - no other ARPG for fun arpg longevity will touch it, it's fun fun fun and involved. Once the 'craze' begins and all the reviews come out, the sheep will follow or just miss out on the fun.

Here's some key points of why this game is top notch:

1. Very long closed beta, alpha and closed simultaneously. That alone is worth gold in gaming. No explanation why necessary.

2. Highly talented developers. The game is ALWAYS solid, always up, fast patches, another no-brainer.

3. Extremely involved developer and player base relationship, both on the forums and in the game. Highly energized player base because devs are highly in touch with them. Questions get answered, ideas get implemented, the feeling that the devs are 'always listening;' has never been more obvious.

4. Creative implementations on solid arpg formula. Everyone who likes ARPGS expect certain things, but these guys did an amazing job adding creative ideas that work, some seen before, some not. If all you took was the trading system of no 'gold', you could write an article on why this works so damn well in PoE. Add that the tree, skills, skill and support gems, orbs, crafting, links, endgame maps, mana/health/diamond/granite/ruby/etc pots, every stat matters, and how they all interwtine -- there's a ton of stuff going on.

5. Leagues. Leagues/Races are HUGE with PoE. Hardcore, cutthroat, normal, pvp, weekly or hourly timed; they have a TON of flexibility for making almost any type of leagues with prized awarded. Never have I seen a better implementation of in an ARPG, really top notch stuff.

6. Longevity and addictive. You'll never stop learning, thinking and it remains fun, involved. There are so many mechanics and it's FUN learning them. I've been playing for a year in closed, won a couple leagues, play way to much, and I'm still learning new tricks, trying new ideas. THAT is what an ARPG is about - longevity.

7. Fun gameplay. The game is pure fun. At the end of the day this is all that matters.

The only 'con' (which is actually a boon) is it's not noob friendly, especially at first. Instant gratification isn't PoE, there's a LOT to learn, it's fun to learn, but you won't be feeling like a farming god anytime soon. Gratification is certainly there, but it's not instant. It takes a long time to come to grips with what appears to be a very simple formula. That is also what sets it apart from the billions of 'loot balloon' arpg's out there.

There's more both good and not so good, but what I noted is all that matters to determine if you may like the game.

Yours truly,

Axis

10. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 10, 2013, 11:57 HorrorScope

I liked it but I also have the feeling of I played this around a year ago... Because I played it around a year ago in earlier beta's. Talk about a loooooooooong beta/preivew time. Since they are new they surely needed it and knowledged gained here is nearly priceless I'm sure. But it is hard to get excited about it.

And there best be a whale from the heavens that this has no single player offline mode! lol

9. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 11:46 Spektr

The world of Wraeclast huh? That phrase sounds familiar........  

8. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 11:00 Jivaro

POE is a great game with some opportunities for improvement in the UI. I personally put down the closed beta at a certain point because of other games building up in my backlog but I will definitely be coming back to it. There are other ARPGs coming down the pipe, and some of them look like they will be really fun (Grim Dawn), but in my mind POE is the stand-out title I will be playing on and off for some time. I just hope they re-evaluate the UI as a whole. It is is unnecessarily clumsy, and as mentioned earlier in the thread, the skill tree is fabulous but needs a better presentation.  

7. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 10:51 Omni

Well its better than diablo3 for sure.  

6. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 10:36 Optional nickname

Sorry PoE for not participating in your closed Beta all this time, but I will be playing your game when released, and will enjoy it immensely.

I hope no Blizzard NDA or patent infringements stand in your way to grow this game anyway you like. Here is hope to all Kickstarter entrepreneurs can also get a proper Diablo game out to the masses. Blizzard is dead in my books, and no patch nor expansion will ever resurrect Diablo 3.

5. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 10:00 InBlack

But does it have PvP like Diablo3? Jester  

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 09:55 Verno

pagb wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 09:33:
So... is it any good? I managed to try for a couple hours it during one of the free weekends and left me pretty "meh".

I thought it was an alright game with good design principles. My problems were mainly with the production values, polish and combat felt pretty slow. I played about 5 months ago so obviously stuff has changed since then and I always have an open mind so I'll check it out again and see if its come further. I always thought the skill tree needed a UI overhaul, too much information at once. It's not even a question of depth or complexity, it's just a poor way to convey information. Hopefully they got to that at some point, I think it will only help them in the long run with easing players into the game.

Early combat pace was glacial and is a common complaint. Feels like you chug pots and just slog until you hit 15 and get support gems. The barter system needs some tweaking, back when I played you had to look on the forums to see what you were going to get back from vendors often which should be handled in-game. The actual orb/equipment interaction is well done for customization though.

The gem/skill system works well enough, passive skill tree mistakes can be costly due to orb rarity (another reason to revisit the passive skill constellation) and I think people won't like that but I guess we'll see. At least respecs are technically there, even if they are costly and time consuming.

So this is still a MMO basically, right? not interested

It's not a traditional MMO, it's heavily instanced with some persistent elements and is better thought of as an online action game IMHO.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2013, 10:40.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

3. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 09:53 eRe4s3r

So this is a Diablo MMO basically, right? not interested

Why would I want to grind in a persistent free to play game that only offers the same gameplay as any other Diablo clone? Or does this game offer something incredible super awesome that wasn't done before?

2. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 09:37 kunic

pagb wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 09:33:
So... is it any good? I managed to try for a couple hours it during one of the free weekends and left me pretty "meh".

Like Diablo 2 the game starts out extremely slow. You don't get many skills and the overall character progression sucks early on. The fun starts post-level 20 when you can begin really developing your character. And there's so many character build possibilities the game will draw you back in as you come up with them. Just gotta get past the slow start.

1. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 09:33 pagb

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo