Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Elite: Dangerous Interview

An interview on PCGamesN hears from (David) Braben of Frontier (Developments) about Elite: Dangerous, the recently Kickstarted space simulation remake (thanks Polygon). This includes some details about the game, including a Sagan-esque billions and billions of stars:

The game will take place in a procedurally generated Milky Way hosting over 100 billion stars (including our own, and by extension, the planet Earth), each with anything up to one hundred bodies in them. A "truly giant galaxy of vast numbers" as Braben puts it.

Some other info-nugs the developer was happy to divulge: the game will begin some 50 years after Frontier: First Encounters, around the year 3300. And Thargoids, Elite's insectoid, warlike alien race, will definitely make their return (though in what capacity, Braben wouldn't reveal). In case you've forgotten what those bastards look like, here's one. If you're not legitimately terrified, congratulations, you are under the age of 30.

On a related note, Gamasutra offers a video from GDC 2011 where Braben discusses the development of the original Elite.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 11, 2013, 00:41 Rigs

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 19:03:
Rigs wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 17:27:
Now if Chris Roberts had said the same thing... Rolleyes

Seriously, guys, you're nit-picking for the sake of nit-picking...

Man, I wish I could fast-forward two years and sit with both Elite and Star Citizen and compare them side by side...

=-Rigs-=

One is vaporware and the other will be a major let down.

I'm gonna hold you to that two years from now... Nod

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 23:33 Jackplug

All I care abt is that there is a feeling of movement like in the old Elite, X-Beyond for me just never gave that feeling and that is why I could never play it.  

10. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 22:37 Zadig

Such wonderful memories that can never be recaptured. It's sad that the 80's generation is now old enough that most of what's marketed to them is nostalgia. Relive the hazy memories of your childhood!  

9. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 21:44 jdreyer

dj LiTh wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 18:43:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 18:04:
The game will take place in a procedurally generated Milky Way hosting over 100 billion stars (including our own, and by extension, the planet Earth), each with anything up to one hundred bodies in them.

And when I get this game, I will visit EACH ONE.

Also, the real Milky Way galaxy has between 200 and 400 billion stars. David, why is your game so fake?

That will be a future DLC, 100 billion stars more DLC pack!

Okay, I spit up coffee laughing at that one.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

8. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 20:25 Stormsinger

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 19:03:

QFT

7. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 19:03 Cutter

Rigs wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 17:27:

Man, I wish I could fast-forward two years and sit with both Elite and Star Citizen and compare them side by side...

=-Rigs-=

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

6. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 18:43 dj LiTh

jdreyer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 18:04:
The game will take place in a procedurally generated Milky Way hosting over 100 billion stars (including our own, and by extension, the planet Earth), each with anything up to one hundred bodies in them.

Also, the real Milky Way galaxy has between 200 and 400 billion stars. David, why is your game so fake?

That will be a future DLC, 100 billion stars more DLC pack!

5. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 18:04 jdreyer

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

4. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 17:27 Rigs

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

3. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 16:39 stingray

That is indeed funny about the billions of stars... it's not unlike a mathematician gushing over how truly large infinity is. It's not like we'll ever see the end of it.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though and we'll talk about it again same time next year.

2. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 16:27 Creston

Optional Nickname! wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 12:58:
"Elite: Dangerous will have 100 billion star systems..."

"The very fact you can collaborate with other players makes a very big difference in the way it feels..."

Apparently, you can create a virtual galaxy and still have to deal with other people. What a virtual Universe....

You don't HAVE to deal with them. You can CHOOSE to deal with them.

The whole 100 billion stars thing is pointless. You'd never see them, nor would you ever see the end of the galaxy. I have no idea why he's so adamant about that particular feature.

Creston

1. Re: Elite: Dangerous Interview Jan 10, 2013, 12:58 Optional Nickname!

"Elite: Dangerous will have 100 billion star systems..."

"The very fact you can collaborate with other players makes a very big difference in the way it feels..."

Apparently, you can create a virtual galaxy and still have to deal with other people. What a virtual Universe....

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo