Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Rift Impressions

PCWorld and PCMag.com offer hands-on impressions of the Oculus Rift VR headset based on checking it out at CES 2013. Though Valve's Michael Abrash recently discussed technical hurdles standing in the way of making the gameplay part of virtual reality a reality, each site raves about the quality of the experience so far. Here's a quote from PC Magazine:

After the 3D effect of the Oculus Rift, the head tracking provided the most sense of immersion. I didn't just see objects with depth, I saw them as if I was looking at them with my own eyes. The Oculus Rift tracked every movement of my head as I looked around, tilting and shifting the picture appropriately. I found myself watching a snowflake fall from the sky and moving my head to follow it. I looked from high above my head down to the ground as the snowflake fell. I couldn't see my feet or any other part of my body, but, again, this is a software issue. The effect was still incredible.

The Citadel demo was the most detailed, but it wasn't interactive. That's why Oculus VR prepared another demo that put me in the action. I played a modified version of Unreal Tournament 3 that incorporated the Oculus Rift's head-tracking into the gameplay. The effect was incredibly immersive, making me aim with both my thumbs and my head to get bots in my non-existent sights. There were no displays in the game, which meant no reticle or health information. Again, this was just a proof of concept demo, and while I learned to aim with my head quickly, real games for the Oculus Rift will have to balance aiming and head-tracking and incorporate a reticle in the display.

View
9. Re: Oculus Rift Impressions Jan 10, 2013, 14:01 NegaDeath

I just keep getting more excited for this. Ever since I first tried VR at a fair 20-ish years ago I've been waiting for this day. Hell I even bought a Virtual Boy to get a fix (my eyes, the goggles do nothing!).  

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 10, 10:18 Re: Oculus Rift Impressions eRe4s3r
  3. Jan 10, 12:05  Re: Oculus Rift Impressions Frijoles
  6. Jan 10, 12:29   Re: Oculus Rift Impressions eRe4s3r
  2. Jan 10, 11:02 Re: Oculus Rift Impressions Stimpack
  4. Jan 10, 12:15 Re: More Big Picture Details HorrorScope
  5. Jan 10, 12:18 Re: Oculus Rift Impressions Cutter
  7. Jan 10, 12:30  Re: Oculus Rift Impressions nin
  8. Jan 10, 13:03 Re: Oculus Rift Impressions Optional Nickname!
>> 9. Jan 10, 14:01 Re: Oculus Rift Impressions NegaDeath
  10. Jan 10, 15:20  Re: Oculus Rift Impressions Fantaz
  11. Jan 10, 16:25   Re: Oculus Rift Impressions BobBob
  12. Jan 10, 16:38    Re: Oculus Rift Impressions BobBob
  14. Jan 10, 18:34    Re: Oculus Rift Impressions jdreyer
  15. Jan 10, 18:41     Re: Oculus Rift Impressions Julio
  13. Jan 10, 17:28 Re: Oculus Rift Impressions SM0k3
  16. Jan 10, 18:51 Re: Oculus Rift Impressions jdreyer
  18. Jan 10, 21:47  Re: Oculus Rift Impressions entr0py
  19. Jan 10, 22:28  Re: Oculus Rift Impressions Jay
  20. Jan 11, 00:24  Re: Oculus Rift Impressions theyarecomingforyou
  21. Jan 11, 08:18   Re: Oculus Rift Impressions Beamer