Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 11, 2013, 06:42 Ozmodan

I think I will post on the internet that the XB12 console from funnybox has out sold both sony and microsoft and because it is on the internet it will make it true.

As to see a new console from Sony this year, that is extremely doubtful as Sony has some bad financial issues to resolve first. Having to subsidize a new console would exacerbate those problems.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 22:33 Zadig

I can barely remember the last console I owned. There was a playstation buried in my garage the last time I moved and I have dim memories of the nintendo thing after the SNES. The last one I played seriously was probably the 3DO.  

19. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 10, 2013, 18:44 Julio

I'll wait a year, then buy in to the next console generation. The first generation of games usually isn't good, and that way you can take advantage of price drops.  

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 10, 2013, 18:13 HorrorScope

Thee only spec I really care on next gen is their total ram. That limit there is what we will be limited to on many games on are PC. 8 gigs is amazing! 4 gigs would still be a huge step up.  

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 17:39 DG

Pinch of salt with the specs, tho bear in mind they'll be selling the hardware at a loss for a long time in order to recoup the money on game sales and also they price based on anticipated cost savings over time in future.

If next-box costs them $800 now and $400 in 4 years time then they see it as costing $600 throughout. The rest is just timing and cashflow. (Obviously a simplification as costs drop gradually over time, units sell at varying rates and prices over that time, but the principle remains.)

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 17:33 Dev

Hmm, let me think if I want to budget for a next gen console...

Nope, still don't.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 16:04 Jivaro

If the next generation of consoles are going to last as long as the current generation has, not only do I hope the specs are high...I would be willing to drop the 400-600 dollars on the new system. What I am really worried about is that they will under power the system and simultaneously try to make it last 5-10 years.

I am PC gamer first, so when I buy a console all the other things it can do besides gaming have become more and more important to me. I own a PS3 because it has Blu-Ray and because I can access any of the online services (like Netflix) without having to pay any extra fees to Sony. I also happened to like the exclusives on Sony better this generation, but I didn't know that would be the case when I bought it. Had MS put Blu-Ray in the 360 and made online services independent of MS not require a Live sub, I would have probably bought one. I paid more initially for the PS3 and it's non-gaming features, but the cost of ownership has been significantly less then it would have been had I bought an XBOX 360. Given my happiness with that approach, I will be looking at the next generation in much the same way. If Sony tries to move towards MS's model, I will simply hook a PC up to the TV instead. The console would be easier in many ways but not so much easier that I am willing to redundantly pay for content. I know that for people who really like multiplayer console gaming XBOX Live is significantly better then PSN, but that aspect just doesn't apply to me or my wife.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 15:34 killer_roach

Raptor wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 15:28:
The last series of consoles were also computers, only with gamepads and for the past "what feels like forever" they've been really, really slow computers holding back game development to a serious degree thanks to low performance.

Not really, with all three consoles in the last generation being powered by PowerPC variants, and one of them having a practically bizarre method of processing data compared to a PC (not to mention that same system using heterogeneous multiprocessing of CPU data).

Comparing the last generation of consoles to PCs would be like comparing a dune buggy to a Formula One car - they might have similar structure and use some similar-looking parts, but their function and method of operation are wildly different.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 15:28 Raptor

The last series of consoles were also computers, only with gamepads and for the past "what feels like forever" they've been really, really slow computers holding back game development to a serious degree thanks to low performance.

They've been able to push a lot out of that old piece of s*it hardware, but the limit has been clear.

As already mentioned, maybe now we can get 64 bit gaming at last, don't need to cheat that much with scaling and have PC/console titles more compatible.

I hope that this would also eventually lead to developers spending some more effort on AI development (faster CPU's, more RAM) as I think AI has been the slowest evolving aspect of games. The enemies are still basic and the only challenge mode is increased HP, dead on aim or just massive respawning.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 15:19 Beamer

killer_roach wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 15:11:
Beamer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 15:06:
No way could Microsoft manage the sales that make Steam so awesome

There's an understatement. To Microsoft, "sale" is a four-letter word.

Not always. The Microsoft store had virtually every 360 game at $10 for Christmas. It was nuts. 2 month old games for $10!

But they SUUUUUUUUCK at it on Xbox Live. Suuuuuuuuuuck. It's unbelievable how bad they are at it.
If they truly move away from physical games I think they could improve, because I think they fear losing shelf space if they sold the digital full games for reasonable prices (let alone good sale prices!), but I doubt they'd ditch discs this generation.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 15:11 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 15:06:
No way could Microsoft manage the sales that make Steam so awesome

There's an understatement. To Microsoft, "sale" is a four-letter word.

Verno wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 14:59:
I didn't mean $60 games were unreasonable or didn't sell, just saying that a high asking price (continually rising with season passes and DLC) combined with a high price of entry might be a stumbling block given how many other expensive gadgets are competing for consumer wallets.

I'd agree - that sort of a pricing mechanic pretty much only works at the very high end of the food chain, and only for certain buyers (as even still most people won't buy any DLC, much less all of it). I think we're starting to see more of a shift toward lower entry price with continuing DLC for quite a few games (including possibly subscriptions) as digital distribution catches on, but even still there's going to be a non-trivial market for standalone titles.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 15:06 Beamer

Fantaz wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 14:29:
So the next Xbox is a computer basically? What happened to embedded systems?

This is all still rumor, but I'm not surprised. Microsoft wants a unified platform. They want you able to buy a game on your Windows Phone and play it on your RT tablet, your laptop, your desktop and your Xbox.

Obviously there are different degrees of overlap - Angry Birds 18 will work fine on all of these but Call of Duty 64 will only play on your desktop and Xbox. But I think that the overlap may happen there.

All the more reason Valve is pushing Linux - if you can play PC games on your Xbox, purchasing through a Microsoft Store, that's a serious issue for them. But also iffy. No way could Microsoft manage the sales that make Steam so awesome, and I'd question whether Microsoft wants to do the smart thing and open Xbox up to PCs. I think possibly, but only through their own branded store. It's the only way it makes sense for them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 14:59 Verno

killer_roach wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 14:28:
$60 games still seem to sell on the consoles, though, as the major titles seem to show. It's mostly the mobile space that's been shredded (a lot has been made about the high-profile collapse of the Vita, but even the 3DS is sucking a lot of wind with respect to expectations).

As far as the console price, Microsoft and Sony have still been trying to hold up the $300 line for a premium bundle on aging hardware - to the point where both are likely selling their systems at a profit anymore. $400-500 price points for launch hardware will likely be the norm (and I couldn't rule out $600 premium packages), but what will still drive initial adoption will be the launch lineups. If the games are there, people will jump in.

I didn't mean $60 games were unreasonable or didn't sell, just saying that a high asking price (continually rising with season passes and DLC) combined with a high price of entry might be a stumbling block given how many other expensive gadgets are competing for consumer wallets.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 14:29 Fantaz

So the next Xbox is a computer basically? What happened to embedded systems?  

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 14:28 killer_roach

Verno wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 14:20:
ASeven wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 12:10:
If the rumored specs are like those ones them then new Xbox will be expensive as fuck.

I'm not sure anyone can get away with a $350+ console anymore, not when games are $60 and half of the average consumers disposable budget to Apple/phone shit. I guess time will tell.

$60 games still seem to sell on the consoles, though, as the major titles seem to show. It's mostly the mobile space that's been shredded (a lot has been made about the high-profile collapse of the Vita, but even the 3DS is sucking a lot of wind with respect to expectations).

As far as the console price, Microsoft and Sony have still been trying to hold up the $300 line for a premium bundle on aging hardware - to the point where both are likely selling their systems at a profit anymore. $400-500 price points for launch hardware will likely be the norm (and I couldn't rule out $600 premium packages), but what will still drive initial adoption will be the launch lineups. If the games are there, people will jump in. If not, they'll be more than content to play the waiting game, as, with the expansion of the digital distribution market on the two major consoles (and a lesser amount on Nintendo's systems as well), there's a lot of games left to tide over uncommitted gamers.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 14:25 NegaDeath

I take those specs with many grains of salt. I'm still betting the jump will be small and focused more on interface and services rather than horespower. Too much competition from other platforms and too costly for both console production and game development to take the risk of going all in. Time will tell I suppose.  

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 14:20 Verno

If the rumored specs are like those ones them then new Xbox will be expensive as fuck.

I'm not sure anyone can get away with a $350+ console anymore, not when games are $60 and half of the average consumers disposable budget to Apple/phone shit. I guess time will tell.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 14:05 eRe4s3r

Also notice that 8gb Ram means 64bit Windows 8 .. so that means we may finally get native x64 games.. what a joke that a console is the one that is bringing us this, FINALLY.

If these specs are true, then they are a huge boon to PC gaming... especially since that means games should be technically compatible between that box and a pc..

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 13:22 Creston

Yeah, this shit isn't cheap

AMD 8-core processor, 8GB of RAM, an AMD Radeon HD 8000 Series GPU, Windows 8 kernel and a 640GB HDD.

It's not outlandish or anything, and I actually hope it's true since it would mean that console games (and consequently: the PC ports of said console games) would actually have some fucking memory to work with.

But if true, it sounds like they think they can do another ~ $400 release, and I'm not sure that's the case anymore.

Creston

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 13:02 killer_roach

Well, depends on the specifics. Seeing as there's only a $40 difference between the slowest (3.1 GHz) and fastest (4 GHz) octa-core AMD CPUs on Newegg, however, it's likely that, even in quantity, Microsoft couldn't get one at any clock much less than $100 per. As for the GPU... well, we don't know what 8000-series proc they're using. Considering it's a console, it could very well be something like an 8570, which wouldn't be too expensive at all.

The HDD and RAM... they're both cheap. Not a huge issue.

Regardless, assuming the rumor of the eight-core CPU is correct (and, if they are even attempting to have backwards compatibility, it would have to be), this is probably a $400-500 product at launch, even with Microsoft taking a loss on the hardware.

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo