Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

View
60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 13:05 Mr. Tact

Baseball should run their Hall of Fame like the NFL does, all that matters is what happened between the lines. There are already all kinds of losers in the HoF who, for reasons outside the lines, should not be in there.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 12:40 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 12:31:
Exactly why do these cheater cheater pumpkin eaters still have official stats and records? They should be expunged entirely! They should be persona non grata.

It isn't that baseball doesn't want to do that, but it has two problems:

1) Nor Bonds, Nor Sosa, Nor Clemens have ever been officially found guilty of Steroids use. Now, you can say "well, of course they used steroids, everyone can see that!" and yes, the large majority of people would agree with you. However, they would take baseball to court, and a judge is going to say "So, just because you THINK they used steroids, you want to vacate their achievements, even though your own official testing regimen never detected anything? Hahaha. Next."

2) All baseball's statistics are interconnected. Pitcher A has given up 100 homeruns in his career. 39 of those were to Barry Bonds. Barry Bonds' numbers are vacated. How many homeruns has pitcher A given up?

This is an example in which it doesn't matter, but what of those sitatuons where it potentially DOES matter?

Both these things are really, really tricky to deal with. And in the end, there's no denying that Bonds did hit all those homeruns, and that Clemens did win all those games, and did strike out all those guys.

I have no real problem with them keeping the actual numbers, as long as the achievements tied to those numbers are taken away. Bonds has 762 homeruns. Great. Henry Aaron is the homerun champion. And Bonds will never, ever see the Hall of Fame. I think that's punishment enough.

Creston

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 12:35 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 12:33:
Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 11:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 09:50:
I would be for a severe fine to anyone going to work with a flu...

Are we also going to fine all the bosses who FORCE their people to come in even though said people are sick to their bones? Trust me, few people CHOOSE to go into work when they're sick. The ones who do do so because their boss has told them to come to work or get fired.

Creston

Well obviously I wouldn't fine people who are forced.. their bosses are so stupid that it does not even require a fine... sick employees are unproductive and cost more than if they stayed home a long week (realistically, that is the time you need to get over a flu). I won't quote studies here, but at least here in Germany you are not forced to go to work if you are sick..

Yep, where sickness is concerned, Europe is lightyears ahead of the US. Not only do most bosses whine that you need to come in, but if you DO take a sick day, it comes out of your PTO. And few people are willing to lose their PTO to be sick.

No corporation in the US seems to understand that happy, healthy workers are far more productive workers.

Creston

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 12:33 eRe4s3r

Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 11:39:

Are we also going to fine all the bosses who FORCE their people to come in even though said people are sick to their bones? Trust me, few people CHOOSE to go into work when they're sick. The ones who do do so because their boss has told them to come to work or get fired.

Creston

Well obviously I wouldn't fine people who are forced.. their bosses are so stupid that it does not even require a fine... sick employees are unproductive and cost more than if they stayed home a long week (realistically, that is the time you need to get over a flu). I won't quote studies here, but at least here in Germany you are not forced to go to work if you are sick..

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 12:31 Cutter

"I don't know if baseball knows how to deal with this at all," Gossage said. "Why don't they strip these guys of all these numbers? You've got to suffer the consequences. You get caught cheating on a test, you get expelled from school."

Exactly why do these cheater cheater pumpkin eaters still have official stats and records? They should be expunged entirely! They should be persona non grata.

And you can't blame some people for coming in sick, blame it on their shitty employers who give them static or threaten them outright if they don't come to work. I've been there before.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 12:16 Bodolza

Creston wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 11:37:
These eco-hippies that keep whining about how we need to start using 100% clean energy (as if such a thing exists), are always the first ones who whine when that causes energy prices to rise, and they're also the first ones at the fucking pump to fill up, because they need to drive to yet another rally where they can whine about shit they have no clue about.

That's quite the straw-man you've managed to build, there. Did that take you all day to make?

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 11:39 Creston

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 11:37 Creston

Yeah, it's the first time I've actually held a modicum of respect for the BBWAA. Hopefully the 37% who voted for Bonds are all the insane old fuckers and they'll die off quickly, so we never have to see his fat fucking ass enshrined.

But why didn't they vote in Craig Biggio? I don't recall him be under suspicion of using PEDs.

Because that same old guard doesn't understand shit about baseball, and has no clue about how valuable Craig Biggio really was. They are the same people who continue to leave Alan Trammel and Tim Raines off their ballots.

In other news, that fracking article is wrong. Fracking isn't used to extract oil, it's used to extract natural gas from shales. So far, every claim by its detractors that it poisons ground water and (hilariously) causes fire to shoot out of your faucets, or to have your cats and dogs lose their hair when they drink contaminated ground water, have all been proven wrong by independent review.

Is fracking 100% clean? No, it's not. But we can either start using our massive, MASSIVE deposits of natural gas we have in our own country, or we can keep depending on the fucking middle east for oil, and we can keep watching shit like the Gulf happen.

These eco-hippies that keep whining about how we need to start using 100% clean energy (as if such a thing exists), are always the first ones who whine when that causes energy prices to rise, and they're also the first ones at the fucking pump to fill up, because they need to drive to yet another rally where they can whine about shit they have no clue about.

Creston

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 11:29 Verno

Brandon Sanderson Completes Wheel of Time Fantasy Series

Thank god, maybe he can get back to The Stormlight Archive, it seems much more interesting than The Mistborn Trilogy.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 11:20 nin

Jivaro wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 11:17:
Bhruic wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 10:45:
nin wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 09:23:
Hope the flu shot works this year...

Don't remember which article it was that I read, but it was claiming that of those hitting hospitals, 3/4 didn't have the flu shot (meaning 1/4 of them did). So I'm guessing of the strains going around, not all of them were in the flu shot. Still probably cuts your risk, so there's that.

San Francisco CBS News radio station yesterday had a doctor on that said that 10% of the flu patients being checked in to hospitals across the country had a strain that the Flu shot is ineffective against.

That's still decent odds, though. If I had a choice between being protected from none of the flu, and 90% of it, I'll take the 90.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 11:17 Jivaro

Bhruic wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 10:45:

Don't remember which article it was that I read, but it was claiming that of those hitting hospitals, 3/4 didn't have the flu shot (meaning 1/4 of them did). So I'm guessing of the strains going around, not all of them were in the flu shot. Still probably cuts your risk, so there's that.

San Francisco CBS News radio station yesterday had a doctor on that said that 10% of the flu patients being checked in to hospitals across the country had a strain that the Flu shot is ineffective against.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 10:54 Jivaro

But why didn't they vote in Craig Biggio? I don't recall him be under suspicion of using PEDs.

Quoted from the sports page this morning: In 20 seasons with the Houston Astros, Biggio put put up over 3,000 hits, nearly 1,200 RBIs, more than 400 stolen bases and 668 doubles, good for fifth-most all-time. His career WAR according to Baseball Reference is 62.1, ranking 88th among position players and higher than those of Jackie Robinson, Yogi Berra, Harmon Killebrew and Hank Greenberg.

Add to that the fact that he won basically every award the MLB gives out for being a good sportsman and community member. In my mind this guy gets first ballot consideration regardless of circumstances. I get that the voters wanted to punish Bonds and the rest, but I really don't understand this snub.

I am a Norcal Bay Area baseball fan, not some Astro fanboy. In my opinion the voters may have been sending the right message to Barry Bonds and the rest of those assholes, but they sent the wrong message to just about everyone else when they snubbed Biggio.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2013, 11:03.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 10:45 Bhruic

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 10:20 eRe4s3r

In America, we are working everyone to death.

Quite literally at that...

Most sane companies have strict rules on flu here, it is not good for productivity if you infect your entire office level of 300 people.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 10:18 GayBlade

Concerning the flu...

I just wish we lived in a society where companies did not require employees to do two and three people's job so that folks had the time to take a break and rest when they are sick.

So many of us go to work sick because it's simply frowned upon to take off and the work is insurmountable even when you show up for work every day.

In America, we are working everyone to death.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 10:04 eRe4s3r

The funny thing is that the article isn't even so far off (it just got cause and effect inverse ;p).. because the people not caring for others are basically what caused this flu "epidemic". When they go outside with a flu, coughing in everyone's face and office then they are worse than narcissistic, they are ignorant idiots who don't give a shit about anyone.

I mean I could live with humans that just "pretend" they give a shit.. I am not expecting them to care about me personally.. but at least in general they should have some passing feeling of responsibility to the greater good, to society! I was taught that when I have a flu, not go outside, not invite anyone, just live it out and don't infect anyone (that's harder than it sounds in a family) but you can do it.

But people nowadays just don't give a shit anymore. And that's how these stupid epidemics all start.

Sigh.. the greatest achievement of our intellect, is that we hate our own race and can reason logically why everyone should too. Yay us!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 09:57 InBlack

I would be for a severe fine to anyone going to work with a flu... (Also, anyone saying they can't tell a flu from a cold, bullshit!!) IF you can't tell feeling like death and feeling like a running nose apart you shouldn't even be qualified to live.

God damn, I hate humans.

I hate them even more after reading that narcissism article. Way to go Fox news!! Again!

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 09:50 eRe4s3r

I would be for a severe fine to anyone going to work with a flu... (Also, anyone saying they can't tell a flu from a cold, bullshit!!) IF you can't tell feeling like death and feeling like a running nose apart you shouldn't even be qualified to live.

God damn, I hate humans. (And as I learned from reading stuff by psychologists, that's normal)

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 2013, 09:57.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 09:49 InBlack

For some reason I read that as "Hall of Farmers...".  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 09:23 nin

Boston declares health emergency amid U.S. flu outbreak.

Was on the elevator, and a guy announces "I've had the worst cold!" as the doors close. I'm trying to hold my breath. I think "yeah, that's called the flu, and you should stay home..."

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

60 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo