Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 13:16 Verno

Hahaha it's gotten even worse since I sold my 360, good grief that is pathetic.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 12:49 Creston

Verno wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 21:54:
Expect more Xbox Live ads.

How is that even possible? I wish people would stop paying for that shit, the value proposition is awful. Oh and they're going to be more video/interactive ads, wonderful. Maybe someday people can pay for Xbox AdLive and just watch ads instead of using the fucking console. Bunch of shameless assholes when it comes to monetizing that platform. I can already see the future, ads interrupting the game and Microsoft will be the first to do it.

Oh, come on. It doesn't look that bad, does it?

People who pay for this shit are really fucking stupid.

Creston

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 07:49 gray

LightAssassin wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 06:55:
Beamer I disagree HTPCs are closer to what the steam box will most likely be. Difference I see is that they will all have the same (or close to) CPU/Video setups to keep that part consistent.

According to Gabe Newell the internals will be fully interchangeable. It's currently considered to be a compact PC platform rather than a static console.

We will see whether this survives the design process.

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 07:15 Dades

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 22:56:
Oh, yes. They could charge Super Bowl rates for commercials played every time you hit a Modern Warfare 4 load screen.

Why do console gamers put up with that shit? I don't get it, they already pay for XBL right? Why pay to be bombarded with ads that keep increasing? Ads should subsidize or decrease the cost of ownership.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 06:55 RenownWolf

Beamer I disagree HTPCs are closer to what the steam box will most likely be. Difference I see is that they will all have the same (or close to) CPU/Video setups to keep that part consistent.

Imagine they release 2 versions, the normal package which runs the majority of games at med-high settings, then a second top tier which runs them at the high-ultra levels. Assuming you only had to support 2 CPUs (both same manufacturer), 2 GPUs (same as cpu), same motherboard/audio you could just have a steambox update monthly (or whatever period that suits) which would make it idiot proof.

And since they are doing the updates and distributing them themselves they can check if the drivers work with the games before release, or force a rollback if required.

If they could also get netflix/hulu/media company to add their stuff to it, then add all the computer software that they find compatible, sure you can uses whatever, but this way they have a short list of what is safe to use, and as we know people will generally use what they are told.

This is why I think steam wanted to start working with selling software too. Plus they control what products go there, and then they can on boot show off ads for the new software. Really they don't have to spend heaps on R&D the best they can do is use their market power (ie buying millions of units) to get the cpu/gpu/audio/ram combo down to cheap and box it up. I believe the Xi3 stuff is simply their way to test the market, and see if it is feasible.

These guys are damn smart if they are going that way, and I look forward to it. If they can get it on the same level as a console but with the power of a pc they will make people happy. Why have a locked down console when you have choices, you can even Skype to grandma with her pc while you sit on the couch.

I can see this as a better way to get into the living room, and worry about making game/software sales. The hardware business is nothing more than a vehicle to get there.

Heck, they make it look like the Xi3 I can unplug goto a friends place, find a spare screen (most middleclass houses these days have multiple screens with HDMI or similar connections) and just get into gaming.

Finally if they could license something similar to the keyboard/mouse combo that the phantom console turned into (google it) then they could even put me on the couch playing an RTS.

Lots of ifs and maybes, but damn it could be good. They really just need to work on the manufacturing costs and distribution. I hope Xi3 is a great test pilot for them. Cutting out the cost of the OS will save them bundles that can be gained as profit. Heck breaking even on the Steambox would be a great strategy just because they are getting their store in front of more eyes, and people already love it.

http://www.renownwolf.com

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 06:15 Julio

Consoles have their place, and they'll still be around. Sports gaming is why I have multiple consoles, the PC versions don't come close.

Sometimes its nice to have a gaming machine that's as disposable as a toaster. It breaks, get a new one. Much cheaper than my PC.

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 10, 2013, 00:42 Orphic Resonance

yeh i think gaming pcs and consoles are going to merge after this next generation.. if not during it  

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 9, 2013, 23:21 Beamer

MattyC wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 22:43:
Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 21:52:
Consoles are over and they just don't know it yet. No need for them anymore.

I doubt it. A reduction, sure I could see that. Going away? I don't think so. I don't mean that as a console proponent, I just see that as the way things are.

It depends on how we define "console." In truth, the Steambox will almost definitely be a console.

HTPCs will die. No one wants them.

Things you just take out of a box and hook up to your TV will thrive longer. People don't want to deal with drivers and software, they want something that simply works. Hence: consoles. Hence: Steambox.

Arguably the consoles today aren't consoles. We already know an enormous amount of their usage is streaming videos. Does that still make it a console? If you say yes, then they're not going anywhere.

Things dedicated solely to gaming will be a thing of the past. Boxes that are ready to go with just a wire to the power and wire to the TV, however, won't be.

We're moving increasingly towards simplification (which isn't neccessarily dumbing down) as we move to a wider audience.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 9, 2013, 22:56 jacobvandy

Verno wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 21:54:

How is that even possible? I wish people would stop paying for that shit, the value proposition is awful. Oh and they're going to be more video/interactive ads, wonderful. Maybe someday people can pay for Xbox AdLive and just watch ads instead of using the fucking console. Bunch of shameless assholes when it comes to monetizing that platform. I can already see the future, ads interrupting the game and Microsoft will be the first to do it.

Oh, yes. They could charge Super Bowl rates for commercials played every time you hit a Modern Warfare 4 load screen.

7. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 9, 2013, 22:51 HorrorScope

Sony and MS could and will really make the next jump a lot cheaper entry for them. Not having to reinvent their whole online world. But if they were super smart they would just upgrade their processors but keep 100% compatibility. This way there isn't this huge start up cost that every gen prior has had. At that point there is no reason on the horizon to ever stop. And to the article, for Sony the play station division, even though it's been down lately is way too much of the company imo to walk from.  

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 9, 2013, 22:43 MattyC

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 21:52:

I doubt it. A reduction, sure I could see that. Going away? I don't think so. I don't mean that as a console proponent, I just see that as the way things are.

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 9, 2013, 22:13 Satsu

Glad I dumped Live Gold. I don't play Xbox games online and I'm NOT paying a monthly fee to use apps to stream video from services I already pay for. For those of us that know better, the 360 is a TERRIBLE value!

I used to think that I wanted to keep my 360 clean to use it online but now I'm fairly certain that I want to mod it since I have no reason to have it online. NO VALUE!

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 9, 2013, 21:54 Verno

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 9, 2013, 21:52 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

2. Re: Evening Consolidation, here to stay Jan 9, 2013, 21:43 LittleMe

Also considering that the gaming console is slightly older market than the home computer market. Each console generation is a passing fad, but the console market isn't, imo. I don't see a reason for consoles to disappear yet.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

1. Re: Evening Consolidation, here to stay Jan 9, 2013, 21:18 swedishfriend

Kaz is right. The console market has grown along with the mobile platforms. I expect that people getting used to playing games through their phones will lead to more gamers in general which will be good for consoles at least until we see a major revolution in chip manufacturing to allow for much smaller/low-power processors.  

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo