Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 4 Tease?

The Twitter feed for Erik Todd Dellums has clues from the voice actor that seem to reveal plans for Fallout 4 or some other future installment in the Fallout post-apocalyptic RPG series. This tweet suggests we can expect a return of Three Dog, his DJ character from the game: "To all my #Fallout3 and #ThreeDog fans: There may be more of the Dog coming! Fingers crossed!" A subsequent tweet says he has been authorized to blab like this: "How was that for a tease! I was given permission to release that tease, so fingers crossed." Thanks VGU via No Mutants Allowed.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

38. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 14:39 Zyrxil

Well that's a limitation of the engine and no one ever said that wasn't terrible. It's better than hobos outside of all cities as donation karma machines.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 14:34 ItBurn

Zyrxil wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 14:18:

In NV, if you kill someone that is part of a faction at the bottom of a dungeon, without being detected by anyone, you lose points with that faction and all of it's members hate you more.

Pretty much destroyed the factions/politics/illusion of choice/freedom for me.

In F3, you could do a quest for a group with a goal to take out another group, and you could collect the reward, then take out the first group also, and not suffer from anything. You did it how you wanted and the game still worked properly.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2013, 14:39.

36. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 14:18 Cabezone

Riker wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 13:30:
Frankly, what's taking them so long?

Going by their past release history the game should be due out the end of this year to the middle of next.

"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

35. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 14:18 Zyrxil

TurdFergasun wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:15:
Zyrxil wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:06:
TurdFergasun wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:30:
Fo3 was a much more enticing environment to explore, and had memorable characters, as apposed to NV were i can't remember a single character or dialogue sequence. Republic of dave, uncle leo, three dog, and the music he spammed is still on a cd i play on a semi regular basis, with lots of dry humor that didn't need to slap you over the head with the punchline. Side quests were compelling, and rewarded exploration, and mission progress. NV just seemed like quantity>quality. Couldn't be bothered to get more than 1/2 way through. I'd compare fo3 to a witty british sitcom vs the average holywood cookie cutter show with the same jokes told with different faces over and over so no demographic feels left out.

Or you know, the exact opposite. FO3 had tons of empty Dungeons, I mean Subways to "explore". Characters were so weird and Krazyyyyy!!!, because that's obvious how you make good characters. SHUT THE FUCK UP 3DAWG. The 'humor' was juvenile and childish. Side quests rewarded slogging through indistinguishable locations, because that's what Beth's games are- Dungeon Crawlers. NV has depth of narrative. FO3 is the same as other Beth games- a two inch deep ocean with depth of NOTHING.

To summarize, you're a bad person and your dog hates you.

so what specifically do you remember from NV that made it so great, other than these generic terms you're throwing out? you sound like balmer describing every product he's ever released.

to summarize i am a bad person, and my cat has a taste for man flesh, hide while you can.

NV was better because of:

The world. NV had a realized world/region. Everything was believable, in the context of a universe where radiation causes deathclaws and mutants. You didn't have two guys shacking up under a highway with only Nuka-Cola to eat/drink (because hahaha isn't that funny and weird?). There were farms, water treatment facilities, politics, logic.

The quests. You had an impact. Characters and towns thrived/died due to your actions. More quests could be solved in multiple ways, not just a few that were shown over and over in magazine previews. The multiple quests solutions also made sense, and weren't just extremes made for shock value.

The characterizations. Just as everything else, characters were more believable. That's pretty much all down to far better dialogue, through which personalities were displayed. Caesar was amiable enough to talk to even if his ideas were never going to work for a society. On the other hand, the NCR was the obvious 'good guys', they did suffer from all the problems of bureaucracy and corruption that might eventually lead to a WW4. The motivations for all the factions made sense and weren't Black & White.

The plot. It was mature, and didn't have a dozen extremely obviously plot holes.

3Dawg. It didn't have 3Dawg. Shut the fuck up, 3Dawg.

Endings. It had actually endings showing the consequences of your actions.

PropheT wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:52:
NV has depth of narrative.

...Which was what, again? The story in NV was forgettable. So forgettable, in fact, that I'm sitting here trying to remember the narrative in the game and I can't. There's a guy who shot you, and you're trying to find him and kill him. You do that, predictably, and find out there's some factions who don't like each other. If bugs don't derail everything you do for them, there's an ending that happens.

Fallout 3's narrative was trying to find your father, chasing his trail elsewhere, finally finding him and then things go poorly. You take on the classic enemies of the Fallout franchise on a one-way path toward the end, where there's a pretty amazing battle with a giant patriot robot. There's Brotherhood of Steel, Deathclaws, Enclave, Super Mutants, and so on and they don't feel like just references to the series like in NV. The ending sucked, but they fixed it with DLC.

There really wasn't anything in NV that was great that wasn't just taken directly from Fallout 3. The new gameplay changes were done better in mods, the story was flat and uninteresting, and it was so buggy that it was almost impossible to finish.
What the hell are you talking about? The story of FO3 is a bunch of people racing to turn on a water machine that wouldn't produce a tactical advantage regardless of who turned it on. The impetus is your father having a midlife crisis and suddenly deciding to fix the machine, and incidentally no one ever thought about maybe getting the GECK briefcase before he did.

NV is the story of a political struggle, with your having been shot in the head serving as the motivation for finding out why your package was so important and how its purpose was to tilt the balance of power of the entire region. You become the kingmaker, and nothing is done by rule of cool. Yes fuck your inner 12 year old, and fuck your giant robots and 3 story tall Super Orcs. This isn't Bulletstorm.

34. Re: Fallout 4 Tease Jan 9, 2013, 13:41 gilly775

ItBurn wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 13:11:
Fuck how vampires work in Skyrim.

There's a mod out that fixes them, I believe.

33. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 13:33 El Pit

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:45:
nin wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:28:
Who whoa whoa...somebody DIDN'T get ST for xmas??????

edit: It's on Bat's wishlist, too - WTF?

I missed TWO people????

This is a sad, sad day...

Creston

Hehehe....TWO?!

No, wait, forget what I said.

This posting did NOT happen.

Move along, please.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

32. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 13:30 Riker

Frankly, what's taking them so long?  

31. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 13:18 Verno

PropheT wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 12:52:

There really wasn't anything in NV that was great that wasn't just taken directly from Fallout 3. The new gameplay changes were done better in mods, the story was flat and uninteresting, and it was so buggy that it was almost impossible to finish.

They mostly fixed it up in a patch IIRC, much like FO3 did with DLC. Neither main storyline is terribly original but at least NV did have some depth in terms of your choices and how they impact the ending. NV had much better quest quality overall though - branching quests, lots of resolution options and so on. When I want to explore I play FO3 or Skyrim, when I want to really dig into a game and its characters it's NV.

They were both great games in their own ways, of course NV had the benefit of coming after FO3 established things.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

30. Re: Fallout 4 Tease Jan 9, 2013, 13:11 Beamer

Yeah, I hated 3 Dog.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: Fallout 4 Tease Jan 9, 2013, 13:11 ItBurn

I have to give a point to NV for the hardcore mode. That was nice. I wish Skyrim had an official one. I don't feel like trying the 500 Skyrim hardcore mods to find the one which doesn't unbalance the game, keeps it manageable and doesn't add stupid shit I don't want.

Fuck how vampires work in Skyrim.

28. Re: Fallout 4 Tease Jan 9, 2013, 13:01 Atomic

I find these comments oddly compelling, as I find points of agreement with both sides about each game. So does that I mean I love them equally, or hate them equally?

Either way, I'm looking forward to more Fallout.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

27. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 12:52 PropheT

NV has depth of narrative.

...Which was what, again? The story in NV was forgettable. So forgettable, in fact, that I'm sitting here trying to remember the narrative in the game and I can't. There's a guy who shot you, and you're trying to find him and kill him. You do that, predictably, and find out there's some factions who don't like each other. If bugs don't derail everything you do for them, there's an ending that happens.

Fallout 3's narrative was trying to find your father, chasing his trail elsewhere, finally finding him and then things go poorly. You take on the classic enemies of the Fallout franchise on a one-way path toward the end, where there's a pretty amazing battle with a giant patriot robot. There's Brotherhood of Steel, Deathclaws, Enclave, Super Mutants, and so on and they don't feel like just references to the series like in NV. The ending sucked, but they fixed it with DLC.

26. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 9, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

Ugh. Three Dog was an awful character, much like every character in every Bethesda game ever. Going back to Bethesda's terrible writing after FNV will be rough. Hopefully they at least learned how to make decent skill checks and morally ambiguous choices.

Aside from vastly superior writing, FNV also had a significantly expanded crafting system which made scavenging a much more interesting affair. The hardcore mode made edibles actually mean something and companions slightly less overpowered because they could actually die. There was significantly more loot too. Balancing was improved as well, though the game was still a bit too easy. At least the Deathclaws and Cazadors actually posed a threat, unlike FO3 where Deathclaws were a joke. Companions in FNV were exponentially better than the ones in FO3 as well. Each one was far more developed and had their own detailed quest line. The faction system was great too and the fact that you could essentially choose your own end goal was fantastic. People claiming that FO3 was more open-ended than FNV must be on crack or something because the exact opposite is true. In addition to allowing the player to choose which factions to align with, most quests had branching paths and equally viable diplomacy, stealth and combat solutions. FO3 didn't offer any of this.

The only area where FO3 was superior to FNV was dungeons. FNV didn't have enough and the ones it did have were generally smaller and less interesting than the ones in FO3 (except for the vaults, which were better in FNV).

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2013, 12:40.

25. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 9, 2013, 12:20 HorrorScope

Sandbox vs Story.

Both were great, I liked the first better. I don't need the game to tell me everything, give me it's story. I can make my own, I'm living, breathing, surviving my way in the wasteland.

I am also excited as someone mentioned, Skyrim cleared up a lot of their engine issues and the next Fallout engine will be that much better for it.

24. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 12:15 TurdFergasun

Fo3 was a much more enticing environment to explore, and had memorable characters, as apposed to NV were i can't remember a single character or dialogue sequence. Republic of dave, uncle leo, three dog, and the music he spammed is still on a cd i play on a semi regular basis, with lots of dry humor that didn't need to slap you over the head with the punchline. Side quests were compelling, and rewarded exploration, and mission progress. NV just seemed like quantity>quality. Couldn't be bothered to get more than 1/2 way through. I'd compare fo3 to a witty british sitcom vs the average holywood cookie cutter show with the same jokes told with different faces over and over so no demographic feels left out.

Or you know, the exact opposite. FO3 had tons of empty Dungeons, I mean Subways to "explore". Characters were so weird and Krazyyyyy!!!, because that's obvious how you make good characters. SHUT THE FUCK UP 3DAWG. The 'humor' was juvenile and childish. Side quests rewarded slogging through indistinguishable locations, because that's what Beth's games are- Dungeon Crawlers. NV has depth of narrative. FO3 is the same as other Beth games- a two inch deep ocean with depth of NOTHING.

so what specifically do you remember from NV that made it so great, other than these generic terms you're throwing out? you sound like balmer describing every product he's ever released.

to summarize i am a bad person, and my cat has a taste for man flesh, hide while you can.

23. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 12:06 Ratty

nin wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 09:46:
Yeah, I found NV a lot more interesting than 3. But I'll give them another shot - Skyrim was the first ES game I actually played through until the end. Maybe they're getting better.
Like people are saying, NV was the better game in a lot of ways but I loved the ruined DC setting much more than the deserty Vegas setting. Since 3-dog is coming back maybe it'll be a return to DC once more. I hope so.

22. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 12:06 Zyrxil

21. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 11:47 MajorD

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:24:

It's SNUGGLE TRUCK!!!! You don't own it? Didn't I gift it to you? DAMMIT I MISSED SOMEBODY!

Creston

Wo, Wo, Wo, stop the truck; it's not in my wish list!

20. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 11:46 Creston

MajorD wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:44:
Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:24:

It's SNUGGLE TRUCK!!!! You don't own it? Didn't I gift it to you? DAMMIT I MISSED SOMEBODY!

Creston

With all the gifting of 'Snuggle Truck' you did, I didn't see it in your library, so I made sure I gifted it to you. I just didn't want to see you left out. Wink

But... didn't you have it already or something? Why would I have skipped you?!

I MUST FIND OUT!

Creston

19. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 11:45 Creston

I missed TWO people????

This is a sad, sad day...

Creston

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo