Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Fallout 4 Tease?

The Twitter feed for Erik Todd Dellums has clues from the voice actor that seem to reveal plans for Fallout 4 or some other future installment in the Fallout post-apocalyptic RPG series. This tweet suggests we can expect a return of Three Dog, his DJ character from the game: "To all my #Fallout3 and #ThreeDog fans: There may be more of the Dog coming! Fingers crossed!" A subsequent tweet says he has been authorized to blab like this: "How was that for a tease! I was given permission to release that tease, so fingers crossed." Thanks VGU via No Mutants Allowed.

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

58. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 19:31 Zyrxil

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 17:58:
Jerykk wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 16:34:
The Brotherhood of Steel is not supposed to be beacon of light and justice. It's supposed to be a secretive group of xenophobic elitists obsessed with technology

You do know that they explained that, in the game, right? That their head honcho basically abandoned their mission because he couldn't deal with seeing all the misery and suffering anymore, knowing they had the ability to help and never did.

Their entire DC faction split over that particular decision, which lead to the other guys (in the red armor, forgot their name) sticking with their old mandate and being pissed at the Brotherhood that stuck with the main Paladin.

It's fine if you don't agree with it, or that you think that nobody in the Brotherhood would ever betray their sacred commission, but don't make it out to be that Bethesda "didn't get" the Brotherhood. There's reams of discussions and computer entries over the head honcho's decision and the fallout from it.

Creston

That misses the point. It's not that you can't explain stuff away in a fictional universe, it's that Bethesda needed to turn that faction of BoS into super good guys. They needed the White Knights/BOS, Black Knights/Enclave, and Orcs/DC variety Super Mutants. That's just the level Bethesda's writing is at. It's not like it would've been impossible to have a story featuring a xenophobic BoS battling the Enclave for Genesis Project magic-terraforming tech, with say, hyper intelligent DC Super Mutants as the most civilized group of the Capital Wasteland.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 9, 2013, 18:39 Kosumo

ED-E  

56. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 9, 2013, 18:24 HorrorScope

I think it would be hard for someone to judge fallout 3 if they don't know who Three Dog is. Wooooo!  

55. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 17:58 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 16:34:
The Brotherhood of Steel is not supposed to be beacon of light and justice. It's supposed to be a secretive group of xenophobic elitists obsessed with technology

You do know that they explained that, in the game, right? That their head honcho basically abandoned their mission because he couldn't deal with seeing all the misery and suffering anymore, knowing they had the ability to help and never did.

Their entire DC faction split over that particular decision, which lead to the other guys (in the red armor, forgot their name) sticking with their old mandate and being pissed at the Brotherhood that stuck with the main Paladin.

It's fine if you don't agree with it, or that you think that nobody in the Brotherhood would ever betray their sacred commission, but don't make it out to be that Bethesda "didn't get" the Brotherhood. There's reams of discussions and computer entries over the head honcho's decision and the fallout from it.

Creston

54. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 17:40 Orphic Resonance

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 15:31:
To me NV was a disappointment - in fact I still haven't completed it. Part of the problem was that it felt like an expansion pack, as it reused the same engine and gameplay.

sounds like you havent played it much at all.. the game is easily 4x as big as FO3, in terms of quests and npcs and all the interactions between them.. to me FO3 isnt even worthy of the fallout style of RPG, in the way everything is separate from each other and the various areas and npcs dont relate with each other, just exist in some kind of RPG vacuum like a bunch of instances that are only related thematically... FONV and FO3 are very much different in terms of gameplay, and its easily noticeable

i wouldnt be surprised if there are significantly more map areas as well in NV

in summary, FONV is extremely much better than FO3, in every single way you can think of, except the graphics and engine which is mostly unchanged but still marginally better in terms of filters and pallette, hell even the art design is more varied and interesting

really, if you havent played the original games which were vastly non-linear, you may not "get it" .. i know the argument is cliche but i think its very valid

53. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 16:35 ItBurn

Prez wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 16:24:
I still need to properly finish New Vegas with the best mods and all of the DLC before FO4 gets here.

And who said Three Dog was not memorable?? I loved Three Dog - he added so much to the world.

I guess that it was nice to hear your achievements, but I didn't feel like having the radio open or waiting near one.

That's one thing. The only DLC I played was broken steel, because you pretty much had to have it to complete F3. I had no interest in playing the other expansions. I guess perhaps because I was already a god, or that I felt that my story was concluded.

The Skyrim DLCs are something else. I can't wait for more of them.

52. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 16:34 Jerykk

Fallout 3's narrative was trying to find your father, chasing his trail elsewhere, finally finding him and then things go poorly. You take on the classic enemies of the Fallout franchise on a one-way path toward the end, where there's a pretty amazing battle with a giant patriot robot. There's Brotherhood of Steel, Deathclaws, Enclave, Super Mutants, and so on and they don't feel like just references to the series like in NV. The ending sucked, but they fixed it with DLC.

Uh, what? They felt exactly like references to the series in FO3 because Bethesda clearly didn't understand the nature of the characters. The Brotherhood of Steel is not supposed to be beacon of light and justice. It's supposed to be a secretive group of xenophobic elitists obsessed with technology and this is how they were conveyed in FNV. Deathclaws are supposed to be badass. In FO3, they were pushovers. In FNV, they were badass. I could go on and on but to claim that the characterization in FO3 was somehow more authentic or better developed than in FNV is ludicrous.

Hell, the whole story of FO3 is basically a slight variation of FO2's story. Just replace the GECK with your father. FNV actually introduced some new factions and expanded the lore in a meaningful and coherent fashion.

In fact NV reminds me a lot of STALKER CoP, another game I never completed. It's not that either of them were bad games but they were simply minor improvements to already dated games that had been eclipsed by other much more worthwhile games. By the time I got around to NV I'd already completed The Witcher 2 and my expectations for an RPG had changed.

So, your primary qualifier for RPGs is... graphics? FNV is a better RPG than Witcher 2. It is significantly more open-ended, both in terms of quest design and character development. Geralt is a largely predefined character with predefined skills and predefined relationships and a predefined history. Your character in FNV is a blank slate which you mold throughout the course of the game, allowing for greater roleplaying potential.

51. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 16:24 Prez

I still need to properly finish New Vegas with the best mods and all of the DLC before FO4 gets here.

And who said Three Dog was not memorable?? I loved Three Dog - he added so much to the world.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

50. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 15:42 Krizzen

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 15:33:
Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 15:25:
ItBurn wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 15:13:
I had to look him up on Google
Yeah, had to check the wiki and it's still only vague.
Yeah. I had absolutely no idea who Three Dog was, so clearly not a very memorable character.

Hmm, maybe it's just me then. I did listen to the entire radio content like 10 times over.

Oh, and I totally forgot he is actually an NPC.

49. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 15:37 Creston

Alamar wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 14:59:
Am I the only one that would have preferred snuggle truck over the 0 gifts I got? : )

-Alamar

I think I forgot like half the board or something! sorry, peeps...

(then again, I gave away fourteen games, so I like to think I did reasonably well. )

Creston

48. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 15:33 theyarecomingforyou

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 15:25:
Yeah, had to check the wiki and it's still only vague.
Yeah. I had absolutely no idea who Three Dog was, so clearly not a very memorable character.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

47. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 15:31 theyarecomingforyou

To me NV was a disappointment - in fact I still haven't completed it. Part of the problem was that it felt like an expansion pack, as it reused the same engine and gameplay. Also, by the time it came out the already dated engine used in F3 looked positively antiquated in NV and gaming had moved on. It's not that I think F3 was a great game either but at least it made me want to complete it, which is something most games don't manage these days.

In fact NV reminds me a lot of STALKER CoP, another game I never completed. It's not that either of them were bad games but they were simply minor improvements to already dated games that had been eclipsed by other much more worthwhile games. By the time I got around to NV I'd already completed The Witcher 2 and my expectations for an RPG had changed.

Personally I hope that it's Bethesda making Fallout 4, as I've always preferred them to Obsidian. The only Obsidian game I really enjoyed was Alpha Protocol and even then it was only the strength of the narrative that kept me going - the gameplay was underwhelming.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

46. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 15:25 Cutter

Krizzen wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 15:10:
I think you guys are missing the point. Even if ThreeDog was a bad character, he was memorable.

Yeah, had to check the wiki and it's still only vague. No characters should be coming back for FO4. I want a whole new slice of the Apocalypse in a whole new place with all new people. And I'd personally prefer to see a focus on the BoS this time around. It was criminal how minor a role they had in NV.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

45. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 15:19 Beamer

I think you guys are missing the point. Even if ThreeDog was a bad character, he was memorable.

I actually only remember the name. All I remember from Fallout 3 character-wise, and I'm thinking hard, is the old racist guy that owned the hotel and the mutant you could fight with.

I remember the name 3 dog, and that he was a DJ, but nothing else.

From NV I remember more. Not necessarily fondly, but I remember the stupid powerglove girl, Mr. Vegas (or Mr. House, whatever), the guy in the suit, the head of the legion, the wussy doctor, the sniper, and, uh... that's a good amount I suppose.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

44. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 15:17 avianflu

Perhaps FO4 will have an actual ending this time and not a fade into white.  

43. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 15:13 ItBurn

42. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 15:10 Krizzen

41. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 15:03 Orphic Resonance

there's always room for more fallout  

40. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 14:59 Alamar

El Pit wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 13:33:
Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:45:
nin wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:28:
Who whoa whoa...somebody DIDN'T get ST for xmas??????

edit: It's on Bat's wishlist, too - WTF?

I missed TWO people????

This is a sad, sad day...

Creston

Hehehe....TWO?!

No, wait, forget what I said.

This posting did NOT happen.

Move along, please.

Am I the only one that would have preferred snuggle truck over the 0 gifts I got? : )

-Alamar

39. Re: Fallout 4 Tease? Jan 9, 2013, 14:51 Silicon Avatar

I liked both games for different reasons and can't wait for FO4. When I say I liked, I mean - I put hundreds of hours into them.

I thought FO3 did a better job making the setting interesting. There were more places to explore and I felt more like a wastelander. In NV I felt more like a pioneer. FO3's story was lacking and the initial attempt at the ending was just a bad joke. DLC and patches made that much better.

I thought NV did better with the narrative, but it had drawbacks. There were invisible walls everywhere. The map was designed to force you into certain paths. You could get around that with some luck, but it was still a pain and immersion breaking. I thought NV had the most memorable DLC - Old World Blues - and I liked that several of the DLC sort of linked together to form a longer narrative.

I hope what I get out of FO4 is the best of NV and FO3 mashed together. I also sort of want to see the android city that was mentioned in FO3 and never realized with any official DLC.

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo