Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Smell-O-Vision

Sensory Acumen is at the Consumer Electronics Show demonstrating GameSkunk, their olfactory gaming device. Their website has details on this, saying: "Missing from your game playing role is the ability to smell the action; cooking food, explosions on the battle field, crashes on the race track, and just the essence of real life as it plays out in a virtual reality setting. Just wait; you will be catapulted into a whole new way of game play. Don’t just play, play all the way." They also have details on a gamer-oriented dietary supplement that may work, in spite of all this nonsense: "...vibrational dietary supplement made of a proprietary blend of herbs and nutrients using a vibrational technology that incorporates the energy signature imprint ..." Thanks IGN.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 10:37 LesCaster

Moss, earth, slightly burnt and maybe a subtle sweet-sour smell

I'm from NJ. There is nothing sweet-smelling about our sewers.

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 10:36 Fantaz

I'd be interested in the SDK for this... and a pack of their supplement pills with vibrational technology (whatever that means).  

15. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 10:32 ItBurn

LesCaster wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 10:22:
...there are a ton of neutral smells that would fit well with battlefields, sewers and other areas like that. Don't you agree?

Sewers neutral? Not based upon the ones I've smelled

You lack imagination
Moss, earth, slightly burnt and maybe a subtle sweet-sour smell.

14. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 10:22 LesCaster

...there are a ton of neutral smells that would fit well with battlefields, sewers and other areas like that. Don't you agree?

Sewers neutral? Not based upon the ones I've smelled

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

13. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 10:18 nin

ItBurn wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 10:16:
LesCaster wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 10:15:
Why would they make the game make you barf?

While they may not intentionally aim for inducing the gag reflex, for people like me who are hyper-sensitive to smells, even "good" smells can become objectionable after enough exposure. I can't walk through the perfume section of stores without winding up with a pounding headache.

Yeah, it would definitely need to be adjustable and subtle in general. Also, you can just not use it. :p

I look forward to game where the screen is black and you're simply forced to follow your nose...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 10:16 ItBurn

LesCaster wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 10:15:

While they may not intentionally aim for inducing the gag reflex, for people like me who are hyper-sensitive to smells, even "good" smells can become objectionable after enough exposure. I can't walk through the perfume section of stores without winding up with a pounding headache.

Yeah, it would definitely need to be adjustable and subtle in general. Also, you can just not use it. :p

11. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 10:15 ItBurn

Kajetan wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 10:07:
ItBurn wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 09:49:
Background music detracts from the immersion. Smell wouldn't.
Depends on the game. A racing game might benefit from the smell of hot motor oil, asphalt and metal, but other than that ... when i play "The Witcher" i smell the flowers from the meadow and i smell the soap and rosewater my lady has bathed her smooth skin ... and i smell the rotten flesh on a battlefield, i smell fecal matter and urin and dirt in the cities and villages. No, thank you!

And it will surely break immersion in this kind of games when i smell only pleasant smells.

You wouldn't smell fecal matter and all that stuff, obviously, but there are a ton of neutral smells that would fit well with battlefields, sewers and other areas like that. Don't you agree?

10. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 10:15 LesCaster

9. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 10:07 Kajetan

ItBurn wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 09:49:
Depends on the game. A racing game might benefit from the smell of hot motor oil, asphalt and metal, but other than that ... when i play "The Witcher" i smell the flowers from the meadow and i smell the soap and rosewater my lady has bathed her smooth skin ... and i smell the rotten flesh on a battlefield, i smell fecal matter and urin and dirt in the cities and villages. No, thank you!

And it will surely break immersion in this kind of games when i smell only pleasant smells.

8. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 09:50 ItBurn

ldonyo wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 09:35:
ItBurn wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 09:22:
I'd definitely use this kind of technology if games supported it and it didn't cost too much. It would massively help immersion. It needs to blend many smells at a time though.

There are a lot of smells I do not want or need in my gaming experience. The smells associated with violent death are chief among these. I like immersion, but I don't want to have a barf bag be part of my gaming setup.

Why would they make the game make you barf? They wouldn't...

7. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 09:49 ItBurn

McSterls wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 09:34:
Do people care about smell in their game? I don't think so...about half the time I turn off background music, so why would I want to smell my food cooking?

6. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 09:48 nin

I thought this was some sort of You Don't Know Jack crossover, but apparently that was Jellyvision...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

5. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 09:44 LesCaster

Sorry, this is just a dumb idea and a waste of time and development resources. Frankly, my olfactory system needs the least amount of stimulation apart from what I encounter in the real world.

4. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 09:35 ldonyo

ItBurn wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 09:22:
I'd definitely use this kind of technology if games supported it and it didn't cost too much. It would massively help immersion. It needs to blend many smells at a time though.

There are a lot of smells I do not want or need in my gaming experience. The smells associated with violent death are chief among these. I like immersion, but I don't want to have a barf bag be part of my gaming setup.

3. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 09:34 McSterls

Do people care about smell in their game? I don't think so...about half the time I turn off background music, so why would I want to smell my food cooking?  

2. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 09:32 Prez

It seems like a good idea but it will never work in practice. They tried this idea in movie theaters ages ago and it was a disaster.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: Smell-O-Vision Jan 9, 2013, 09:22 ItBurn

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo