Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I had another unfortunate incident walking our pooches yesterday, though the outcome could have been far worse. Hudson the wonder dog, the Gunnar-man, and I were approaching a corner when a neighbor's toy poodle came rushing up, barking his head off. His owner ran up and re-secured the leash he'd lost, as somehow he had more trouble with one dog weighing six pounds than I did with two totaling 120. Just as I started to joke that his dog has been trying to teach my guys a lesson for years (as he always barks at us as we pass his house) Hudson's remarkable telekinetic abilities kicked in, as she managed to get her leash to unclasp with a simple shake of her head. In a flash that defies her age she covered the five or six yards between us and grabbed the poodle in her mouth. As I reached the scene and grabbed Hudson's jaws to save the dog, my genius neighbor decided to help by kicking her in the face, which was one of the surest ways to escalate this into a situation that would result in his dog's death. I shouted at him to stop kicking and freed his pooch from her grasp. As he stormed off I called after him to ask if his dog was okay and he just repeated my command to "stop kicking her" to indicate he didn't like how I handed this. I tried to explain that this just was for his dog's protection, but he was just pissed. I stopped by their house and apologized to his wife and got reassurances that no injuries were suffered, so hopefully this won't result in any ill will.

There is a lesson here: There are right ways and wrong ways to deal with dog fights, and a surprising number of dog owners don't do any research on how to deal with such problems before they occur, something I would strongly recommend.

Recommended Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Wilt: Last Blossom.
Monsters TD 2.
Links: Chitauri Invasion of NYC Post Event Damage Estimate. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Stories: Group aims to improve New York’s ‘horrific’ airports.
Jeff Garlin talks about his new podcast, the future of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'. Thanks nin.
Early Flu Season Hits Hard.
Media: Honest Trailers - Inception.
Race Start FAIL.
Rock Around The Alarm Clock Rock.
Surface Of The Sun - Compilation.
The Funnies: New Virus - FailDesk.
Brevity.

View
35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 18:06 Creston

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 17:54:
its just an excuse.. like "we're only human".. its rationalization, plain and simple

what it takes is relentless consistency, and yeh i know most people have no conception of that beyond some kind of idealistic fantasy they assume is automatically unattainable... but i can assure you its not

I've owned eight dogs in my life, all of whom have been perfectly obedient and well-behaved, and all of whom have known from day one that even though I love them to death, they are my pets, and I am the one in charge.

So I know how to be consistent with dogs. But her instinct to circle around the herd is so strong that whenever I walk her, she will circle around me. Her brother does it too, but less so, likely because he tends more to the border collie side than she does. She's definitely Blue Heeler, and she WANTS to circle around people when she walks. it's nothing more than that, it's not as if she's trying to nip at your heels or anything, but she circles.

Now, could I stomp that behavior out if I really, really wanted to? I guess I could. My original statement should probably have read that I can't get her to stop trying to herd me no matter what I'm willing to try to get her to stop. It's not a huge bother, so I have no desire to just grind it out of her.

But that instinct is undeniable in her. It doesn't matter who walks her, she will circle around them. and if you're walking with a group of people, she will try to circle around all of them, and she gets antsy if you split up a bit too far for her liking.

Creston

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Jan 9, 09:23 Re: Out of the Blue DrSquick
  2. Jan 9, 09:28  Re: Out of the Blue nin
  4. Jan 9, 09:35  Re: Out of the Blue Burrito of Peace
  14. Jan 9, 11:13   Re: Out of the Blue Creston
  17. Jan 9, 11:45    Re: Out of the Blue Burrito of Peace
  18. Jan 9, 11:45    Re: Out of the Blue  Blue 
  20. Jan 9, 12:31     Re: Out of the Blue Jivaro
  21. Jan 9, 12:59      Re: Out of the Blue sauron
  22. Jan 9, 13:00      Re: Out of the Blue BobBob