Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I had another unfortunate incident walking our pooches yesterday, though the outcome could have been far worse. Hudson the wonder dog, the Gunnar-man, and I were approaching a corner when a neighbor's toy poodle came rushing up, barking his head off. His owner ran up and re-secured the leash he'd lost, as somehow he had more trouble with one dog weighing six pounds than I did with two totaling 120. Just as I started to joke that his dog has been trying to teach my guys a lesson for years (as he always barks at us as we pass his house) Hudson's remarkable telekinetic abilities kicked in, as she managed to get her leash to unclasp with a simple shake of her head. In a flash that defies her age she covered the five or six yards between us and grabbed the poodle in her mouth. As I reached the scene and grabbed Hudson's jaws to save the dog, my genius neighbor decided to help by kicking her in the face, which was one of the surest ways to escalate this into a situation that would result in his dog's death. I shouted at him to stop kicking and freed his pooch from her grasp. As he stormed off I called after him to ask if his dog was okay and he just repeated my command to "stop kicking her" to indicate he didn't like how I handed this. I tried to explain that this just was for his dog's protection, but he was just pissed. I stopped by their house and apologized to his wife and got reassurances that no injuries were suffered, so hopefully this won't result in any ill will.

There is a lesson here: There are right ways and wrong ways to deal with dog fights, and a surprising number of dog owners don't do any research on how to deal with such problems before they occur, something I would strongly recommend.

Recommended Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Wilt: Last Blossom.
Monsters TD 2.
Links: Chitauri Invasion of NYC Post Event Damage Estimate. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Stories: Group aims to improve New York’s ‘horrific’ airports.
Jeff Garlin talks about his new podcast, the future of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'. Thanks nin.
Early Flu Season Hits Hard.
Media: Honest Trailers - Inception.
Race Start FAIL.
Rock Around The Alarm Clock Rock.
Surface Of The Sun - Compilation.
The Funnies: New Virus - FailDesk.
Brevity.

View
43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

43. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 14:34 Jivaro

Prez wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 07:20:
I love dogs but cats are awesome too - I never have less than three of them. Thank goodness my wife is a cleaning-obsessed freak because I never have less than three dogs either, so without that my house would probably reek.

I don't keep quite as many animals, but I agree....they make the world seem like a better place then it really is sometimes. (provided you or your other cohabitants are willing to clean up after them)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

42. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 07:20 Prez

I love dogs but cats are awesome too - I never have less than three of them. Thank goodness my wife is a cleaning-obsessed freak because I never have less than three dogs either, so without that my house would probably reek.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

41. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 04:38 Hoop

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 23:23:
nin wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:30:
Hoop wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:29:
Let me list all the problems I have had with cats over the years.

Yeah! YEAH!!!!!!

Other than kittly litter tracked EVERYWHERE, house smelling like cat shit, cat piss, puke, hair balls, food everywhere, nasty smell everywhere, shit rubbed on stuff cause they don't poop like a dog, yea no problems with cats either.

Filthy fucking animals.

Nah I have a big garden, never had house cats.
Come & go as they please via cat door, pretty much feed & leave.
I would never own an animal if I did'nt have some sort of space for it.

Um .. Behind you...

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 04:27 TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN

I would have shot the dog if it attacked mine. "Learn their place" and "food chain", right?  

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 01:28 xmb1121

Just over a decade ago in Albuquerque, I worked on a news story where a family had a baby and the dog didn't like the baby and snapped at it. The owners didn't know what to do, so they took the dog to the shelter to be adopted. They thought better of it a few days later only to find out that the shelter had euthanized the dog ("We had to tell whomever was interested that the dog snaps at children. No one would have adopted it," they said.) The couple was horribly upset at what had happened. If there was a silver lining to this story, it was that part of our story when to a local dog psychologist, a profession I had no idea existed as this is years before Cesar Milan burst onto the scene (but I did see the real horse whisperer about a year earlier). The advice the psychologist gave made such good sense that it caused me to rethink how I thought about dogs.

The psychologist talked about the order of the pack and how to retrain the dog to understand that people packs are different and people babies go above them. This included stopping doing submissive behavior around the dog (no laying on your back with your belly up on the sofa, for example). The ending was that this was a tragedy that could have been avoided, but in 2001, who would have thought to find a pet psychologist?

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 23:23 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:30:

Yeah! YEAH!!!!!!

Other than kittly litter tracked EVERYWHERE, house smelling like cat shit, cat piss, puke, hair balls, food everywhere, nasty smell everywhere, shit rubbed on stuff cause they don't poop like a dog, yea no problems with cats either.

Filthy fucking animals.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 19:20 nin

FYI, Walking Dead is still $12.49 on amazon. Which, if you bought something in Dec, you hopefully got a $5 promo code. So, for $7.49, I couldn't say no.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 18:41 Cutter

Yep, bad pet owners are bad parents too. Better to have a pet than a kid and be bad it IMO.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 18:06 Creston

Orphic Resonance wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 17:54:
its just an excuse.. like "we're only human".. its rationalization, plain and simple

what it takes is relentless consistency, and yeh i know most people have no conception of that beyond some kind of idealistic fantasy they assume is automatically unattainable... but i can assure you its not

I've owned eight dogs in my life, all of whom have been perfectly obedient and well-behaved, and all of whom have known from day one that even though I love them to death, they are my pets, and I am the one in charge.

So I know how to be consistent with dogs. But her instinct to circle around the herd is so strong that whenever I walk her, she will circle around me. Her brother does it too, but less so, likely because he tends more to the border collie side than she does. She's definitely Blue Heeler, and she WANTS to circle around people when she walks. it's nothing more than that, it's not as if she's trying to nip at your heels or anything, but she circles.

Now, could I stomp that behavior out if I really, really wanted to? I guess I could. My original statement should probably have read that I can't get her to stop trying to herd me no matter what I'm willing to try to get her to stop. It's not a huge bother, so I have no desire to just grind it out of her.

But that instinct is undeniable in her. It doesn't matter who walks her, she will circle around them. and if you're walking with a group of people, she will try to circle around all of them, and she gets antsy if you split up a bit too far for her liking.

Creston

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 17:54 Orphic Resonance

Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 15:22:
Yeah, I realize it's tough if not almost impossible to go against her instinct. I can't get my Blue Heeler to stop trying to herd me when I walk her, no matter what I try. That's just what she is.

its just an excuse.. like "we're only human".. its rationalization, plain and simple

what it takes is relentless consistency, and yeh i know most people have no conception of that beyond some kind of idealistic fantasy they assume is automatically unattainable... but i can assure you its not

dogs do have the ability to listen to you instead of their self-serving instincts, even if they reflexively "do their thing" for a moment, they can still respond after the fact.. unless they simply wont listen to you at all, except in fair-weather conditions

thats the true test of being a "pack leader", because ultimately the dog's instinct is to follow the alpha, not do their own thing and fuck everything else - thats the world of human pets - for dogs its not really as natural as being part of the team

so you have to be able to tune into that level of instinct instead, but then again humans are so removed from their own instincts that it ends up being a serious challenge.. but thats not the dogs problem.. thats your problem

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 17:48 Julio

One of the reasons I don't have a dog anymore is too many dog owners who can't control their animals. Always hated dealing with 80 pound untrained dogs, with 115 pound owners.  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 17:41 Zoopster

I solve problems like that by not having any pets. Period. Life is a lot simpler and more peaceful, with loads more time for important stuff like gaming.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 16:08 BobBob

Dirty, poopy, noisy. I really don't get the point of dogs. Most dog owners are obnoxious people who don't care about the peace of their neighbors. Would love to see a place ban dog ownership.  

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 15:41 nin

Cutter wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 15:33:
My uncle lost a finger and a half breaking up a dogfight once so lesson learned about that.

Wow!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 15:33 Cutter

My uncle lost a finger and a half breaking up a dogfight once so lesson learned about that.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 15:27 Creston

I have had zero problems with my dogs, other than my girl dog unfortunately having been unhealthy for the past few months and racking up some massive vet bills ($5500 and counting!) in that period.

There are good dogs and bad dogs, just as there are good cats and bad cats. And both good dogs and good cats can have bad things happen. *shrug*

Creston

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 15:22 Creston

Blue wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:45:
Creston wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:13:
It's always wise to teach your dog a "let go" command. Practice it with toys, etc, and then when they do well with those, even occasionally practice it with food or a treat. Then when something like this happens, you can just order them to "let go" and they should drop whatever little mutt they happen to be chewing on.

Keep in mind that Hudson is a terrier, and terriers are bred for a certain degree of independent thinking, in particular when it comes to disposing of vermin. I'm sure it's possible: She's good at listening when told to drop inanimate objects, but I am not nearly enough of a dog whisperer to trust being able to command her to drop prey.

Yeah, I realize it's tough if not almost impossible to go against her instinct. I can't get my Blue Heeler to stop trying to herd me when I walk her, no matter what I try. That's just what she is.

If nothing else, such a command would help when you're putting pressure on her mouth to open up.

As for the back legs thing, that seems pretty scary to me when they have something in their mouths that you absolutely do NOT want them to bite. If anything, to me a dog would bite down just out of fright (as they really don't like it when you mess with their rear legs.)

Even so, it's still better than kicking. Making the dog more aggressive doesn't exactly help.

Creston

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 15:00 Orphic Resonance

this is what you call "the blind leading the blind"

i still dont understand why people think its better or friendly to not be authoritarian with dogs... i guess if they are willing to put up with shit like this, then whatever

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 14:05 sauron

Verno wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 11:53:
Yakubs wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 10:18:
Poodles are the definition of a dog that deserve to get whooped on. I would never be caught dead walking in public with one of them.

Animals have their own personalities, we had a poodle when I was a kid that was a very playful and fun dog, not a yapper at all either. It only speaks to your own insecurities that you would not walk one in a public place and I think you have the wrong perception of what the public thinks about them in general. Go walk a small dog at a dogpark sometime and you will likely be chatted up by some fine looking women provided you don't look like a weirdo or something.

Not a big fan of toy poodles, but some small dogs can be a heck of a lot of fun. Bichon Frise look girly but like standard poodles they can be very adventurous and quite tough. Toy dachshunds are really fun but you have to have them insured due to all the structural defects (lumbar discs). And French Bulldogs are just ridiculous - great with kids and very sunny temper, although again you have to insure them (eyes, nose, trachea, tonsils, palate, spine, skin, etc, etc - a veterinarian's bank account). And beagles a re fun as well.

Having said that, the best mutts of all come from the pound. Just don't choose a puppy that looks even remotely like a pit bull.

Kittens!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2013, 13:39 El Pit

And, my dear toy poodle, please remember: There is ALWAYS a bigger dog.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

43 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo