Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled

PCMag.com has details on the Razer Edge, a tablet PC with a gaming form-factor that will run Windows games natively under Windows 8. They expect this to start shipping this quarter, with base models priced at $999. Here's more on the system:

The Razer Edge is a 10.1-inch device being touted as the world's most powerful tablet, and a quick look inside both the base model and the souped-up Pro version show why. Both pack a third-generation Intel Core processor and a discrete Nvidia GT640M LE GPU. More specifically, the Razer Edge sports an Intel Core i5 CPU, 4GB RAM, and a 64GB SSD, and the Razer Edge Pro comes configured with a beefier Intel Core i7 CPU, 8GB RAM, and the option for either a 128GB or 256GB SSD. Both models feature a USB 3.0 port, and Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, and both run on a full version of Windows 8 with Intel architecture, in turn allowing PC games to run natively on the Edge without the need to be ported or optimized.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 15:16 Optional Nickname!

Performance

Due to a clock speed of just 500 MHz, the gaming performance of the GeForce GT 640M LE is about 20 percent below the 640M. This is the same level as the GT 635M or the GT 555M. The performance is exceptionally good in shader-heavy DirectX 11 games and benchmarks. However, the 128-Bit memory interface can be a bottleneck if DDR3 graphics memory is used. Demanding games of 2011 like Battlefield 3 are playable in 1366x768 and medium settings.

Excerpted from:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-640M-LE.72199.0.html

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 13:12 Agent.X7

Verno wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 09:06:
Quboid wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 08:47:
It is both overpriced and surprisingly cheap. The "photo" of Civilization V being played nearly gave me an erection but I still could't justify shelling out this sort of money while maintaining both a decent gaming desktop and a high-end phone as well.

I think my problem with tablet gaming is that there are few games I want to play in a semi-mobile state in that form factor. When you get up to a 10" screen I'd find myself just wanting a proper desktop or television instead. I'd rather use a 3DS for traveling gameplay or whatever and something else the rest of the time. This sort of thing is a neat idea but it doesn't seem to sit comfortably in either world.

QFT.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

22. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 10:36 Beamer

Fantaz wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 10:29:
Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 22:27:
$1000 isn't unreasonable for the power, but I wouldn't expect many to pay for it.
The additional docks are cool, too. The one with 4 USB ports and a HDMI out makes it a sweet Steambox. But all those cost cash, too.

I see things like this and the Surface Pro being like the Creative Nomad or those 256MB iRivers. It's a sign of things to come, but too expensive and limited for the masses right now.

Apple will probably be the one to bring it to everyone. Hopefully not - at least if PC companies do it you know accessories will all start having the same ports...

And a pretty unreasonable price for the $250 controller dock too... I don't think they'll get much sales, unless they change their name to iPad Edge which won't be happening.

I remember the iRiver MP3 CD player. Bought one for a few hundred and never really used it... then hdd/flash-based players started becoming affordable and then I got all disappointed.

Yeah, either here or in another thread I compared these to the Nomad or the iRiver. It's early adopter stuff that's not useful enough for the price, or even relative to the stuff around it, but it's a sign of where technology is going.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

21. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 10:29 Fantaz

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 22:27:
$1000 isn't unreasonable for the power, but I wouldn't expect many to pay for it.
The additional docks are cool, too. The one with 4 USB ports and a HDMI out makes it a sweet Steambox. But all those cost cash, too.

I see things like this and the Surface Pro being like the Creative Nomad or those 256MB iRivers. It's a sign of things to come, but too expensive and limited for the masses right now.

Apple will probably be the one to bring it to everyone. Hopefully not - at least if PC companies do it you know accessories will all start having the same ports...

And a pretty unreasonable price for the $250 controller dock too... I don't think they'll get much sales, unless they change their name to iPad Edge which won't be happening.

I remember the iRiver MP3 CD player. Bought one for a few hundred and never really used it... then hdd/flash-based players started becoming affordable and then I got all disappointed.

20. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 9, 2013, 10:27 HorrorScope

It has both video devices within it, like most gaming laptops now have. 4000 and Nvidia and it's smart, when not gaming the system is much less the power hog running of the intel chip. Overall spec wise this is right in the ball park of what a gaming laptop of the same specs is.  

19. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 10:11 Beamer

InBlack wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 09:56:

Oh yeah the GT640M OMFG the hight of graphix! WoW! What the fuck is wrong with you man??? That is a pice of shit card. And you have to pay to upgrade to it. Its not standard in the tablet, the standard is the aforementioned HD4000.

Yes I actually went to the site to check out its tech specs...

You went to the site, but you didn't understand it. Not that it's made clear, but of course leave it to someone to take the worst possible interpretation. Glass half empty, always!

It comes [b]standard[/b] with the NVIDIA GT 640M LE. Standard. There's no paying extra. The cheapest one comes with that. Nowhere on the site does it say it's an upgrade. Nowhere does it say it's a choice between integrated graphics and this. Standard. In 100% of units. But all the CPU they picked has that integrated graphics unit, and possibly they're allowing switching for battery life, so it's listed.

But it's standard.

And it looks like it can run anything at medium or high.

And, in order to get mobility, you give some things up. There is no magical device that fits in your carry-on yet plays Quake 10 at 1000 fps. Not right now. If you want to early adopt you have to make some sacrifices, and ultra settings will be one of those sacrifices.

But feel free to keep bitching about anything.

-------------

18. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 09:56 InBlack

Dev wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 07:49:
eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 23:21:
Gentle reader is still wondering. It sounds both very expensive and competitively priced... but does that mean its cheap or only that everyone else is overpriced... mhh
That would be the diff in viewpoint between someone with the apple buying mindset (willing to pay extra for overpriced stuff) and someone looking for a decent deal.

For the specs though, it doesn't sound too bad. Nowhere near as overpriced as apple. I doubt I would ever get such a thing, I'm more into $400 laptops. My gaming machine is my desktop.

InBlack wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 06:29:
Have you seen the tech stats for this thing? It sports a DUAL CORE i7 and integrated intel HD4000 graphics. I realize that the marketing power of hype is strong but you have to LEARN TO RESIST IT!!!

There is no way Im paying 1000$ for a "GAMING" tablet that has the gaming power of a pocket calculator.
Did you miss the part (even quoted by blue in the blurb) that says:

a discrete Nvidia GT640M LE GPU

Oh yeah the GT640M OMFG the hight of graphix! WoW! What the fuck is wrong with you man??? That is a pice of shit card. And you have to pay to upgrade to it. Its not standard in the tablet, the standard is the aforementioned HD4000.

Yes I actually went to the site to check out its tech specs...

I have a nifty blue line!

17. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 09:06 Verno

Quboid wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 08:47:
It is both overpriced and surprisingly cheap. The "photo" of Civilization V being played nearly gave me an erection but I still could't justify shelling out this sort of money while maintaining both a decent gaming desktop and a high-end phone as well.

I think my problem with tablet gaming is that there are few games I want to play in a semi-mobile state in that form factor. When you get up to a 10" screen I'd find myself just wanting a proper desktop or television instead. I'd rather use a 3DS for traveling gameplay or whatever and something else the rest of the time. This sort of thing is a neat idea but it doesn't seem to sit comfortably in either world.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

16. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 08:47 Quboid

That's what kills so many of these interesting concept products like that Nvidia Project Shield thing. I have a gaming desktop which is going to be better than any of these. I have a smartphone which I'm going to carry with me everywhere and has enough bells and whistles and shiny bubbles to keep me suitably unproductive when I'm away from the desktop. I'm sorted, and I suspect most people feel the same.

There's room in the market for other devices, but unless they offer something substantial, I'm sufficiently served by the desktop or phone. E-readers, tablets, MP3 players (not as relevant any more), Sat-Navs offer enough to be worthwhile if you have a specific need, the Razer Edge Tablet isn't affordable enough to be.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2013, 08:53.

- Quboid

15. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 08:28 Beamer

swedishfriend wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 04:34:
If this was not windows but OS dedicated to playing games(console style) they could get away with 1/4th the power to get similar end result and sell it more reasonably. Maybe this is what one version of the next xbox will look like for $600?

If this was not a Windows device but dedicated to playing games it would lose a good chunk of its market. Or, rather, its differentiation.

There's a good amount of people dying for a tablet that actually has juice. It's really more the business world than the game world, but its out there. So it's nice seeing Razer innovate, but they're probably not the right company because the focus isn't there. Gamers should be catered to after the business sector on this one, because they're much more reluctant to find benefit here.

Making it a cheaper gaming device would just make it one of a billion other gaming devices to get announced then get trounced by the iPad. It would be a product for everybody that nobody wants. This, instead, is a product for a few people that those few people really do want.

I still expect extremely low sales. Did it say if it has a stylus? Man, the thought of playing FTL on an airplane with a tablet and a stylus is awesome. Right now I use either my tablet for movies, since gaming on it isn't really worthwhile, or my laptop for games. A laptop that doesn't even handle FTL overly well, requires me to use a touchpad which isn't much fun, and runs out of juice somewhere over the Atlantic.

-------------

14. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 07:49 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 23:21:
Gentle reader is still wondering. It sounds both very expensive and competitively priced... but does that mean its cheap or only that everyone else is overpriced... mhh
That would be the diff in viewpoint between someone with the apple buying mindset (willing to pay extra for overpriced stuff) and someone looking for a decent deal.

For the specs though, it doesn't sound too bad. Nowhere near as overpriced as apple. I doubt I would ever get such a thing, I'm more into $400 laptops. My gaming machine is my desktop.

InBlack wrote on Jan 9, 2013, 06:29:
Have you seen the tech stats for this thing? It sports a DUAL CORE i7 and integrated intel HD4000 graphics. I realize that the marketing power of hype is strong but you have to LEARN TO RESIST IT!!!

There is no way Im paying 1000$ for a "GAMING" tablet that has the gaming power of a pocket calculator.
Did you miss the part (even quoted by blue in the blurb) that says:

a discrete Nvidia GT640M LE GPU

13. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 06:29 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 05:54 mag

This thing is completely ridiculous looking.  

11. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 04:37 Tanto Edge

Neat!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

10. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 04:34 swedishfriend

If this was not windows but OS dedicated to playing games(console style) they could get away with 1/4th the power to get similar end result and sell it more reasonably. Maybe this is what one version of the next xbox will look like for $600?  

9. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 00:32 Creston

I like the idea of it, but very few PC games will likely play at all well with a touch interface, so for the large majority of your games you will wind up plugging in a m/kb or a controller.

Which leaves you with a terribly small viewscreen to play the game on.

Why would you pay a grand for that, when for everything else you'd do with it you can just get an Android tablet, or an iPad, for half the cost?

Still, it's cool to see new devices being created with the PC heavily incorporated in its design.

Creston

8. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 00:17 Jay

I too agree that while it may be competitively priced (compared to other tablet/pc things) it's not really worth the money. I'm sure there are people out there who'd pay $1k for this thing, but I'm definitely not one of them.  

7. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 9, 2013, 00:09 jdreyer

Stormsinger wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 23:37:
From a personal standpoint, Windows 8 is the deathknell of Microsoft. If, as predicted, Windows 9 follows the Win 8 design, then I've bought my last version of Windows. This device certainly isn't going to change that...I'll take an Android tablet for 60% of the price, thanks.

Well, if there was a device that Windows 8 was devised for, this would be it. I just hate W8 when I'm using a keyboard and mouse.

And while I agree this machine is probably not a bad value given the components, its the cost for its function that I think is a bit excessive.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

6. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 8, 2013, 23:37 Stormsinger

From a personal standpoint, Windows 8 is the deathknell of Microsoft. If, as predicted, Windows 9 follows the Win 8 design, then I've bought my last version of Windows. This device certainly isn't going to change that...I'll take an Android tablet for 60% of the price, thanks.

5. Re: Razer Edge Tablet Unveiled Jan 8, 2013, 23:21 eRe4s3r

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo