Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC

Steam News announces the release of patch 3 for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, updating the new installment in the turn-based strategy series with some bug fixes as well as new free DLC called Second Wave. Here's word:

The XCOM: Enemy Unknown Second Wave content offers a series of advanced gameplay options that unlock a new level of depth, challenge and replayability. The Second Wave content includes:

• Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
  • New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
  • Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
  • Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
  • Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier’s mission stats.
  • Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
  • The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
  • Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete.
  • Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
  • High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
  • Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
  • More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 9, 2013, 16:50 Stormsinger

@Tanto_edge, I don't now, and never implied that I ignored the internet crowd... I just don't play with them. And those who seem to think that their style of play is the only one that matters, and any designer who disagrees is out to destroy the game, are particularly annoying. Especially when they abandon any concept of courtesy in mkaing those claims.

In other words, I don't care for douchebags...and if you don't like that, don't be one.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 9, 2013, 04:24 ShakaUVM

>My sole complaint about the single player is that the aliens dont move until they are revealed thru the fog of war.

Yeah. Once you figure out there aren't any alien patrols that are going to flank you suddenly, the game becomes very very easy. But very very slow.

35. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 9, 2013, 04:06 InBlack

The game is awesome, but it needs more 'room' to grow. I guess what I want is some of the more awesome stuff from the first two games back in this installment.

Maybe as a full on expansion pack or something. I doubt that will happen though until they make a sequel, and even then there is no guarantee they wont take the Mass Effect path if you catch my drift...

I have a nifty blue line!

34. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 23:55 jdreyer

1badmf wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 18:48:
normal was cake if you played smart. you don't spread you guys out - they need to stick together to provide supporting fire. it takes longer to finish missions, but you're almost guaranteed to win. on my normal/ironman playthough i lost 2 guys i think, and those were to bonkers lucky long distance shots behind cover.

I agree, the game does a good job of rewarding real-world squad tactics like overlapping fields of fire, 10 foot spacing (to avoid a grenade taking out your entire squad), combined arms (you should always have heavy, assault, and sniper with squadsight to handle different situations), etc. The only time I break up my squad is on terror missions, and it's extremely risky.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

33. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 23:47 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 23:06:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 21:09:
I personally tend to play a very defensive game early so I go straight for armor. Keeping your guys alive is key to getting promotions which can really turn the tide. More powerful weapons are nice for taking down the aliens but if they get that first shot off your dead guy with that laser gun is useless.

I think the far better way to play is so that aliens NEVER get that first shot off. Creep ahead and then when you activate a set of aliens, get into cover and overwatch/wait for them to either charge you, or, if they don't, flank them and take them out that way.

It's really rare that an alien gets a shot at me.

However, in order to be able to use that playstyle, you need accurate weapons that do tons of damage, so I always rush for lasers.

As for the aircraft, in Classic when the Big UFO hits, I need upgraded weapons, or I'm toast. I've sent four fucking interceptors after that asshole and they just can't take him down. :\

Creston

It's a testament to the design and balance that Creston can swear by going after weapons first, and YS can swear by armor. Bruce Geryk also swears by armor. I took a balanced approach myself, and other than losing a few players early when I didn't know what I was doing I only lost maybe one guy after upgrading to lasers/carapace armor.

32. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 23:06 Creston

Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 21:09:
I personally tend to play a very defensive game early so I go straight for armor. Keeping your guys alive is key to getting promotions which can really turn the tide. More powerful weapons are nice for taking down the aliens but if they get that first shot off your dead guy with that laser gun is useless.

I think the far better way to play is so that aliens NEVER get that first shot off. Creep ahead and then when you activate a set of aliens, get into cover and overwatch/wait for them to either charge you, or, if they don't, flank them and take them out that way.

It's really rare that an alien gets a shot at me.

However, in order to be able to use that playstyle, you need accurate weapons that do tons of damage, so I always rush for lasers.

As for the aircraft, in Classic when the Big UFO hits, I need upgraded weapons, or I'm toast. I've sent four fucking interceptors after that asshole and they just can't take him down. :\

Creston

31. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 22:08 jdreyer

Love these new options.  

30. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 21:09 Yosemite Sam

I've taken to a 2 assault, 2 heavy, support and sniper setup. Supports push the boundries and the heavys back them up. I look for the best routes upon landing and if I have to I'll shift to the far left or right if that ground looks better, and try to keep to the edge of the map so I know one of my flanks is safe. Of course move without dashing and try to have all my guys on overwatch, and if when I expose some aliens and I do not like my position I'll move out of sight, overwatch, and let them come into my defensive position. Course those damn bomb missions are a totally different beast.

Aircraft I've never had a problem with, even on classic. Early game stock intercepters are fine, just make sure to have two and at least a dodge and aim. Once first intercepter gets 75% damaged, pull it out and send in the second to finish the job. In my two games so far I've had only one UFO get away and it was totally my fault, hit disengage instead of dodge.

EDIT ... and dont neglect to upgrade the snipers pistol. Saved my ass quite a few times being able to move the sniper and still shoot, or go into overwatch.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2013, 21:18.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

29. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 20:49 Tanto Edge

@AngelicPenguin : In MP, players may select up to a point value worth of troops and gear, very similar to table top strategy games.

If you haven't tried the multiplayer yet, give it a go. It's a lot of fun despite the limiting bullshit.

Soldiers, start out at 800 points as a Rookie, and depending on training and equipment you choose, their point values increase.

A few months into the release, Firaxis increased the cost of specific critters, and specific equipment, in order to balance the game.

Many pieces of equipment sit unused, rarely taken. Many critters are taken as a joke, or avoided altogether for their uselessness, expense or lack of customization.

My complaint is that instead of increasing the number of options players have, or expanding on and deepening the critters (by allowing them to choose equipment, and level up or down in difficulty), they increased costs on specific equipment to prevent specific builds in a cheap effort to 'balance' the game.

I see it as lazy design, and reduces the fun the game provides.

Furthermore, while we are free to play Unlimited point values, the 'Ranked' or otherwise tracked matches are all at 10,000 points where you cannot use an Ethereal.

Used to be an Ethereal and two sectoids could fit into 10,000 points.
Quite manageable if you're using a squad of soldiers or mutants. Just have to be smarter than the ethereal player. Not impossible at all.

However... they nerfed it.

@Stormsinger : And yet you replied (with quote!). Don't hurt yourself, ignoring that internet crowd.

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 15:43:
Tanto Edge wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:20:
Yippedee fuckin' doo.

How about unfucking the point values and letting people take more during the fights, instead of less.
Goofy goddamned bullshit.
"Hey this is a fun game."
"You're right. Let's fix that."

Just for the record, I don't have a problem with this patch bringing the Second Wave to life. It's nice to see them giving enough of a shit that they released a third patch.

My problem is and will always be their point value rape, where suddenly my build isn't just not allowed, but all the gear is now ridiculously expensive, while everything else is unimproved and dirt cheap.

In multiplayer matches, about half the aliens are avoided, and the other half are shits and giggles (griefing support).
Yet instead of increasing the usefulness of those critters, they nerf the useful and interesting gear.

Nobody takes Mutons, but it's only 3800 points for an Elite Muton!
Critters don't take gear (no mindshield) but they come with a 1500 point grenade!

Allowing aliens to equip gear, to level up and down, at the cost of points would mean a massive variety of gameplay options, and strategies.
A balancing nightmare? Fuck so be it, at least there's some fucking options.
At least I'm not going to be another squad of plasma toting fucktards, going against a squad of plasma toting fucktards.

Unbalanced isn't instantly a bad thing. Games aren't always balanced. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose on the roll of the dice.

For those unfamiliar with the multiplayer in this game, mind elaborating? Are you saying all multiplayer games use the same alien setups?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

28. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 18:51 Creston

Crustacean Soup wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 16:17:
Yosemite Sam wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 14:32:
Finished my first game on normal, total cake walk.

I must be terrible at this. I'm playing Normal / Iron man as my first game, and I've lost several soldiers already. I've had one failed mission that I can recall; the first time I came across a Berzerker, I managed to lose three soldiers and barely got the others out. Having a great time despite my awfulness, though

Normal is pretty easy. Build a workshop, build a satellite, go for engineers for the reward missions. Build a power generator, build a sat uplink.

As money allows, keep repeating that. In the strategy mode, all you care is about is getting satellites up.

Two things about deploying satellites: Always keep one or two in reserve in case a country gets a big jump towards leaving, but if it's nearly the end of the month and you have no countries at high panic, go and launch them. It's better to launch them and get the extra funding than to have them just sit there.

And two, don't launch a sat to an area where you can't afford to then immediately buy air cover. Don't do it. The sat will actually show more UFOs, and since you can't shoot them down due to no planes, panic will get boosted.

In research, go for weapons first, as you need the increased firepower on your squad, but especially on your interceptors. Try to squeeze in some autopsies and build a few Aim and Dodge modules, they will help when you try to take down one of the big boys.

In missions: Advance slowly, always overwatch, never run to an explored area with your last soldier of the turn, and despite what the bitch in R&D says, use grenades and rockets liberally, except when you're inside a UFO (although even there it's better to use a rocket than to die.)

Remember that a grenade / rocket are basically guaranteed damage. If you have two floaters sitting side by side, and you have two guys with grenades in range, that's a guaranteed kill. Keep the grenade guys till last and try to shoot/cap them with the others. If it doesn't work, use the grenades to take 'em out.

In terror missions, I always dash to one or two of the first civilians I see. Saving them means that unless all your guys die in the mission, it will still count as a (pathetic) success. If you fail to save any citizens, the mission will fail, no matter if you wiped out nearly all of the enemy force. Also, on terror missions it helps to have two assault guys, as the run'n'gun and the shotgun will be awesome for taking out those fucking Crysalids.

Creston

27. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 18:48 1badmf

normal was cake if you played smart. you don't spread you guys out - they need to stick together to provide supporting fire. it takes longer to finish missions, but you're almost guaranteed to win. on my normal/ironman playthough i lost 2 guys i think, and those were to bonkers lucky long distance shots behind cover.  

26. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 18:26 Crustacean Soup

I try to avoid dashing or running through doors/windows unless I absolutely have to (I assume that's what you meant?), but I'm also extremely impatient  

25. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 17:46 Yosemite Sam

I must be terrible at this. I'm playing Normal / Iron man as my first game, and I've lost several soldiers already. I've had one failed mission that I can recall; the first time I came across a Berzerker, I managed to lose three soldiers and barely got the others out. Having a great time despite my awfulness, though

Well if you move your soldiers around the map like they showed you in the tutorial then I'm not surprised. Heh, the tutorial is a clear example of how NOT to play, though I've considered trying easy mode just so I can bull my way around the missions like Rambo. I lost 5 soldiers on my normal run, and three of those were from the tutorial which I had no control over. The other two were very late game attempts to rank up some rookies, course I wasnt playing ironman

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

24. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 16:35 Beamer

This is $25 on Amazon right now.
I think it only went down to $33 on Steam, right?

I also had a $5 Amazon digital credit, which made this a nice $19.99 purchase.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 16:32 briktal

KS wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 13:08:
I'll sum up random stats on creation and leveling: Shit (reload), shit (reload), shit (reload)...

I'll sum up "diminishing returns", aka Warcraft III-like upkeep, where the more you build of something, the more its cost skyrockets, the opposite of volume production in the real world: Game designers did a (screwed up) job.

That's why they aren't in the normal game.

22. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 16:26 Jivaro

If you are having a great time, you aren't terrible at it.

21. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 16:17 Crustacean Soup

20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 15:43 AngelicPenguin

Tanto Edge wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:20:
Yippedee fuckin' doo.

How about unfucking the point values and letting people take more during the fights, instead of less.
Goofy goddamned bullshit.
"Hey this is a fun game."
"You're right. Let's fix that."

Just for the record, I don't have a problem with this patch bringing the Second Wave to life. It's nice to see them giving enough of a shit that they released a third patch.

My problem is and will always be their point value rape, where suddenly my build isn't just not allowed, but all the gear is now ridiculously expensive, while everything else is unimproved and dirt cheap.

In multiplayer matches, about half the aliens are avoided, and the other half are shits and giggles (griefing support).
Yet instead of increasing the usefulness of those critters, they nerf the useful and interesting gear.

Nobody takes Mutons, but it's only 3800 points for an Elite Muton!
Critters don't take gear (no mindshield) but they come with a 1500 point grenade!

Allowing aliens to equip gear, to level up and down, at the cost of points would mean a massive variety of gameplay options, and strategies.
A balancing nightmare? Fuck so be it, at least there's some fucking options.
At least I'm not going to be another squad of plasma toting fucktards, going against a squad of plasma toting fucktards.

Unbalanced isn't instantly a bad thing. Games aren't always balanced. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose on the roll of the dice.

For those unfamiliar with the multiplayer in this game, mind elaborating? Are you saying all multiplayer games use the same alien setups?

19. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 14:32 Yosemite Sam

Nice, Marathon is one I'll definatly try. Red Fog would be nice, assuming it also applies to the aliens, otherwise fuck that. Dont understand The Greater Good, you already have to interrogate a psionic alien before you can build the PSI Labs. What I really want is another slot so I can carry some nades throughout the whole game.

Finished my first game on normal, total cake walk. Now nearing the end of my classic ironman playthrough, just about right difficulty I think. Havent lost any missions, but came very close quite a few times and unlike my normal game the body bags of dead soldiers are piled high.

My sole complaint about the single player is that the aliens dont move until they are revealed thru the fog of war.

Not entirely true, aliens do have patrols.

18. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 14:31 avianflu

My sole complaint about the single player is that the aliens dont move until they are revealed thru the fog of war.

Oh and the DLC that was required so that one could color one's squad was a blatant rip-off

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo