Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC

Steam News announces the release of patch 3 for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, updating the new installment in the turn-based strategy series with some bug fixes as well as new free DLC called Second Wave. Here's word:

The XCOM: Enemy Unknown Second Wave content offers a series of advanced gameplay options that unlock a new level of depth, challenge and replayability. The Second Wave content includes:

• Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
  • New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
  • Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
  • Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
  • Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier’s mission stats.
  • Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
  • The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
  • Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete.
  • Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
  • High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
  • Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
  • More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 14:12 nin

Kind of bemused by the hate this game is getting on this board.

If you look back at threads, the game got considerable more love than hate.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 13:40 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Kind of bemused by the hate this game is getting on this board. Yes there were bugs on release, yes multiplayer could do with balancing, but you can say the same thing for every other game released in the last 10 years or so.
It was is a damn fine game and a refreshing change from yet another "realistic" FPS.
Now if they can do a Terror from the Deep expansion and release a map editor so the community can do their thang then it's all gravy.........

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

15. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 13:40 Stormsinger

Tanto Edge wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 13:13:
1AngryGamer wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:25:
Multiplayer is a side game. Who cares. Lets nail down single player then worry about PVP

Same syndrome that effects MMO's. You PVP'ers whine constantly. Go play Dawn of War 2 or something

Oh fuck off. Here's nine hours of your 'side game'. Some of us care about mp, so shut up.

This isn't just some PvP'ing shit, and the single player is never going to be 'nailed down' so long as these guys are using this bone headed approach.
The single player was fucked from the get go and this DLC is not helping.

Multiplayer is not an aside of this game, it is a major facet of it, whether you want to accept that or not.

Furthermore, the glitches throughout the game hurt single and multiplayer.

Finally, I don't know who Chris Kluwe is supposed to be and I don't much care.
Just as I didn't care about some triad. Just as I didn't care about whatever 'story elements' they tried to shoe horn into the gameplay. None of this 'helps' the single player become any better.

The hero idea is neat. How about fuck, Chris. He can burn for all I care.
Let's add the 'chance of a hero' and they can just have a normal name but he's a hero! So he comes in with additional stats, and congratulations, it's a new gameplay element that's not moronic. What a concept.

Maybe along the way they could release an SDK or some multiplayer maps.
Nice incoherent rant...how about you go fuck your mp buddies, and leave the rest of us alone with the game itself?

I'll play multiplayer games on the internet when the internet crowd grows up and gains just a tiny bit of common courtesy. Till then, I give complaints like yours about a shit's worth of concern.

14. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 13:13 Tanto Edge

1AngryGamer wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:25:
Multiplayer is a side game. Who cares. Lets nail down single player then worry about PVP

Same syndrome that effects MMO's. You PVP'ers whine constantly. Go play Dawn of War 2 or something

Oh fuck off. Here's nine hours of your 'side game'. Some of us care about mp, so shut up.

This isn't just some PvP'ing shit, and the single player is never going to be 'nailed down' so long as these guys are using this bone headed approach.
The single player was fucked from the get go and this DLC is not helping.

Multiplayer is not an aside of this game, it is a major facet of it, whether you want to accept that or not.

Furthermore, the glitches throughout the game hurt single and multiplayer.

Finally, I don't know who Chris Kluwe is supposed to be and I don't much care.
Just as I didn't care about some triad. Just as I didn't care about whatever 'story elements' they tried to shoe horn into the gameplay. None of this 'helps' the single player become any better.

The hero idea is neat. How about fuck, Chris. He can burn for all I care.
Let's add the 'chance of a hero' and they can just have a normal name but he's a hero! So he comes in with additional stats, and congratulations, it's a new gameplay element that's not moronic. What a concept.

Maybe along the way they could release an SDK or some multiplayer maps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

13. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 13:08 KS

I'll sum up random stats on creation and leveling: Shit (reload), shit (reload), shit (reload)...

I'll sum up "diminishing returns", aka Warcraft III-like upkeep, where the more you build of something, the more its cost skyrockets, the opposite of volume production in the real world: Game designers did a (screwed up) job.

12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 12:34 Creston

They might as well call these: "There's no way in hell you're completing a campaign on Classic."

Creston

11. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 12:25 Angrius Maximis

10. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 12:24 Cutter

Without a map randomizer or editor it doesn't mean a whole lot at this point.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 12:23 Juzzam

They really need to fix the bugs and glitches that ruin multiplayer.  

8. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 12:20 Tanto Edge

Yippedee fuckin' doo.

How about unfucking the point values and letting people take more during the fights, instead of less.
Goofy goddamned bullshit.
"Hey this is a fun game."
"You're right. Let's fix that."

Just for the record, I don't have a problem with this patch bringing the Second Wave to life. It's nice to see them giving enough of a shit that they released a third patch.

My problem is and will always be their point value rape, where suddenly my build isn't just not allowed, but all the gear is now ridiculously expensive, while everything else is unimproved and dirt cheap.

In multiplayer matches, about half the aliens are avoided, and the other half are shits and giggles (griefing support).
Yet instead of increasing the usefulness of those critters, they nerf the useful and interesting gear.

Nobody takes Mutons, but it's only 3800 points for an Elite Muton!
Critters don't take gear (no mindshield) but they come with a 1500 point grenade!

Allowing aliens to equip gear, to level up and down, at the cost of points would mean a massive variety of gameplay options, and strategies.
A balancing nightmare? Fuck so be it, at least there's some fucking options.
At least I'm not going to be another squad of plasma toting fucktards, going against a squad of plasma toting fucktards.

Unbalanced isn't instantly a bad thing. Games aren't always balanced. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose on the roll of the dice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 12:03 PsychoMoggieBagpuss

Having a high willpower on a soldier increases the chance of psionic ability. If you put all your rookies through then you're not going to get many. If you wait until they've leveled up some and have avoided critical injuries (which give a corresponding loss in willpower), then the percentage will be much higher. I was seeing about 50% of my soldiers who had willpower 80+ testing successfully for psionic ability, yet only around 10% of my rookies (willpower 35-40).

The actual "Second Wave" options they are listing were already in the game, there was a user patch shortly after the game released which activated the hidden options so you could toggle them on/off each game you started. Some of them were a bit buggy at the time, but good to see they've enabled them for those of us who cba downloading 3rd party patches.

PMB / Shodan
http:/www.futilez

6. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 11:22 dj LiTh

Really glad to see they released this, i've been tempted to use a mod to unlock it but the only mod i enjoy is the one i do myself where i just take away the +Crit and +hit to the aliens in advance mode (full ai, full aliens, level playing field).  

5. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 10:49 MattyC

Warskull wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 10:12:
I would say maybe between 1 in 3 and 1 in 5 in my experience. I had quite a few running around. Did you test all 30?

I sent everyone through the psi labs once I had it. It is possible some who had already died were 'gifted', but I think I had only lost 1 or 2 besides the unavoidable first mission ones prior to that.

4. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 10:47 Rhino

I would say maybe between 1 in 3 and 1 in 5 in my experience. I had quite a few running around. Did you test all 30?

Seems to have varied pretty wildly as I only had two in my roster and just assumed that was a normal rarity to maintain game balance.

3. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 10:33 JoeNapalm

I would say maybe between 1 in 3 and 1 in 5 in my experience.

So...1 in 4?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I'd like more options for difficulty adjustment - I played on Normal and then on Classic. I didn't like the feeling on Classic of my troops being basically handicapped...I'd rather play on Normal, but with Hardcore numbers of aliens to ramp up the difficulty.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

2. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 10:12 Warskull

1. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Free Second Wave DLC Jan 8, 2013, 09:49 MattyC

More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.

Was it not already? Don't get me wrong, I had a pretty good time with Xcom: EU. That said, I think I had 3 psionics in my game where I kept a roster of 30 (new soldiers when previous ones died).

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo