Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod

A new mod on Skyrim Nexus for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim called "Interesting NPCs" looks to make encounters with the AI populace of Bethesda's RPG sequel less like being trapped by a bore at a cocktail party. This is a work in progress, and here's how it's described: "This is a project to add color and life to Skyrim through three dimensional NPCs. Each character is integrated into the world, with a backstory and an extensive dialogue tree to explore. Many of these characters are fully voiced by a talented team of over 50 voice actors. The dialogue choices allow you to role-play, providing humor and depth to each conversation. You can be a jerk or a jester, a white knight or an assassin, as the most important character is you." Thanks Batman via Kotaku.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 9, 2013, 12:45 SlimRam

Yeah, I know what you mean and I do tend to OCD on big games like this. Also I have so many games that I play I never seem to finish tha8t many. It's hard for me to sit and play the same game like day after day after weeks (in the case of Skyrim ). Also I tend to play the side quest first before I start the main story.  

"Angels with silver wings, shouldn't know suffering, I wish I could take the pain for you

If God has a master plan, that only He understands, I hope it's your eyes He's seeing through"

Depeche Mode - Precious
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 9, 2013, 10:44 HorrorScope

SlimRam wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 23:27:
I LOVE this game and have played it extensively but I still have only completed a handful of the 'main story' quest. I can't understand how people are on they're second and third playthrough of the game???

Here is your answer.... and it's crazy... People are different.

My oldest son only did the main quest, beat it the first night. So we have him on one end, you on the other and the rest of us in the middle.

You say you search every nook and cranny and collect loot. To me there is a point where you simply don't need any more loot, so I didn't see the need to search everywhere for more loot. You are sort of profiling as an online hoarder if over a year later you still feel the need to cling on to all the loot.

23. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 9, 2013, 05:29 Quinn

You can't understand? Really!? The game has only been out for forever by now. No shit ppl have finished the main story!

Also, IMO a person stoops very very low when using prostitution mods. What do you want me to imagine? You holding your joystick while your Skyrim character is getting a blowjob? Ugh... But that's just my humble opinion..

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2013, 06:01.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

22. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 23:27 SlimRam

I LOVE this game and have played it extensively but I still have only completed a handful of the 'main story' quest. I can't understand how people are on they're second and third playthrough of the game??? I take EVERY side quest no matter how small and talk to all the NPCs. I explore EVERY area I find for loot. I think this is the mod I was looking for *YAY*

P.S. The ONLY mods you REALLY need for this game are the Vilja companion......with the Animated Prostitution mod......and the CBBE BodySlider....*cough*.....sorry

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 2013, 01:27.

"Angels with silver wings, shouldn't know suffering, I wish I could take the pain for you

If God has a master plan, that only He understands, I hope it's your eyes He's seeing through"

Depeche Mode - Precious

21. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 20:33 shinchan0s

Where's the anime? It's not a Skyrim mod without anime.  

20. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 20:17 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 15:02:
You can just tab out of any conversation midway, not sure why people think they're saying too much. It's an optional flavor mod after all. Been using this for a few months now, it's pretty decent but no clue why it deserves a front page submission all of a sudden. Should we submit other mods? I've got a bunch of really good ones.

Geez everyone, calm down, I found it interesting. I also added it to the thread in the other forums - feel free to add your mods there Verno, I am trying to pimp my game out for a play through.

Link for forum thread here

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2013, 20:23.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 19:35 Quinn

I'm just desperately waiting for the Dragonborn DLC. I stopped touching Skyrim until that DLC is released, because I'm somehow afraid I'd bleed the game dry before its release otherwise.  

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

18. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 8, 2013, 19:35 HorrorScope

ShadyPete wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 14:01:
it also seems that most of the female npc's dialogue have some awkward sexual undertone which i find quite juvenile.

Cancels, cancelled download. Re-downloading!

17. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 19:23 Jivaro

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 18:54:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 16:15:
Mod Question:

In New Vegas there was a player made house that had a gun room that displayed every type of weapon in the game (along with ammo type) is there something like this for Skyrim that is similar that someone can recommend?

Thanks.

You mean that it displayed every gun even if you didn't have them? Or do you mean that it had racks for you to put weapons in?

Most Skyrim house mods will have weapon plaques and mannequins, but I don't know of any that give you all the weapons for free, basically.

Creston

This mod has EVERYTHING. You can cheat with it, you can not cheat with it. It has all the crafting stuff, custom sorters for ingredients and potions, display mannequins and cases, and it has containers that contain one of every enchanted armor, cloth, and weapon in the game. There are a couple of vendors, one for crafting and one is a barkeep. It even has a "secret" entrance to a torture chamber that includes a hilarious sadistic fake dungeon where you try to set off traps and kill adventurers as they try to make their way through the short maze below you. It has a spiritual chamber for shrine buffs, living quarters, and a bathroom that lets you customize your characters appearance. You can even change your race and sex. I have a save game that starts right after Helgen and my character is right at the door of this tower. That way if I want to start new I can skip the beginning and use the character creator in the house. I have another one that is similar except it is saved right after the Dragonborn has beat down the dragons.... without having actually picked a side in the civil war or joined a guild. It makes playing with mods, particularly custom quests, much more enjoyable since I can easily create new characters.

If all you want is a stack of all the vanilla equipment...I don't know of anything that has that. This mod may be over the top, but it is a one stop shop for the Skyrim player who already finished the game once and wants to play with mods etc out there without having to rebuild a whole new character the hard way (re: time consuming) each time.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2013, 19:35.

16. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 18:54 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 16:15:
Mod Question:

In New Vegas there was a player made house that had a gun room that displayed every type of weapon in the game (along with ammo type) is there something like this for Skyrim that is similar that someone can recommend?

Thanks.

You mean that it displayed every gun even if you didn't have them? Or do you mean that it had racks for you to put weapons in?

Most Skyrim house mods will have weapon plaques and mannequins, but I don't know of any that give you all the weapons for free, basically.

Creston

15. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 16:15 The Half Elf

Mod Question:

Thanks.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

14. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 16:11 Crustacean Soup

I've had it installed for a while, and I don't like it. I understood going in that it was meant as flavor, that's not my issue with it.

Everything is over-written; the language is too flowery, it's too verbose, and the dialogues monologues stretch on forever. Even the response choices are extremely long and silly. Yes, you can escape or skip at any point, but if you're always doing that then what's the point? I don't mind the voice acting so much, but I do mind the actors' recording setups. Some of them are good, many of them are terrible and massively detract.

13. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPD Mod Jan 8, 2013, 15:55 WaltC

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 11:21:
When I play mmos I am always surprised by the fact that the devs do not build the game around that the fact that you are playing with other human beings. Maybe some day an mmo will be designed with this as the key consideration.

Skyrim is a single-player game.

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

12. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 15:02 Verno

You can just tab out of any conversation midway, not sure why people think they're saying too much. It's an optional flavor mod after all. Been using this for a few months now, it's pretty decent but no clue why it deserves a front page submission all of a sudden. Should we submit other mods? I've got a bunch of really good ones.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

11. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 14:58 jacobvandy

I'd say the whole mod hinges on whether "talented" means they actually get paid to do voice work by someone not related to them in some way or they're majoring in drama at community college...  

10. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 14:13 Silicon Avatar

I've had this mod installed for ages and I love it. It's pretty much all flavor text (and some gags). If you want quest mods there are plenty out there.  

9. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 14:01 ShadyPete

it also seems that most of the female npc's dialogue have some awkward sexual undertone which i find quite juvenile.  

8. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 13:11 Quinn

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:54:
Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:38:
This mod has been out for quite awhile already, actually.

It IS pretty cool, though YMMV. I typically don't talk to many NPCs since I really don't care that they're having a tough life.

"yeah yeah, your husband died fighting a Giant. I got dragon souls to absorb, lady!"

Creston

Yeah, I get adding color and such, but usually in these games I get annoyed when NPCs have unproductive dialogue trees. I don't want to know about your children, I just want you to queue up the next sequence of the quest I'm on.

I realized I so completely agree with you guys... *cancelling download*

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

7. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 12:54 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 12:38:
This mod has been out for quite awhile already, actually.

It IS pretty cool, though YMMV. I typically don't talk to many NPCs since I really don't care that they're having a tough life.

"yeah yeah, your husband died fighting a Giant. I got dragon souls to absorb, lady!"

Creston

Yeah, I get adding color and such, but usually in these games I get annoyed when NPCs have unproductive dialogue trees. I don't want to know about your children, I just want you to queue up the next sequence of the quest I'm on.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPD Mod Jan 8, 2013, 12:46 PropheT

Jivaro wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 11:38:
Bill Borre wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 11:21:
When I play mmos I am always surprised by the fact that the devs do not build the game around that the fact that you are playing with other human beings. Maybe some day an mmo will be designed with this as the key consideration.

I suspect that from a design perspective the key word would be "reliability". As in the gamers themselves are not exactly known for it. Everything that is designed to rely on other gamers (guilds, auction houses, and PVP for example) becomes quite a bit less reliable then everything that doesn't (grinding quests, fast travel, npc merchants, etc).

The other key word would be "control". Every time you put the game in hands of the participants you inevitably give up quite a bit of control. Nothing has been the same since Lord British was killed. (joking, but I think you get my meaning)

Stockholders and publishers want control and reliability as part of the business model, for all the obvious reasons.

I don't think it's just stockholders and publishers; the players do, too, even if they attribute that need to something else.

The key thing about MMO's, at least how they are now and have been, is that anything in the game needs to have some sort of "push button, receive reward" design to it. The second something doesn't have that sort of design, players will try to find a way to exploit it in a way that achieves that goal anyway. A conversation tree would be quickly broken down into ideal paths to best rewards, for example, and then the human factor comes in and they interpret exclusion into the community as a result (you didn't choose this, so you can't do that with us).

World of Warcraft is the most used example of dumbing-down a game and simplifying it, but it's not something that was simplified just to appeal to a larger audience; it was done to give some of that reliability back to the players and get back some of their control over the encounters in the game...since the more freedom their human component has to bastardize the system for exclusionary benefit the more they'll divide the world into haves and have nots.

Basically, player-driven content is anarchy without strict and specific laws designed into the gameplay to restrict their ability to destroy their environment.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo