Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod

A new mod on Skyrim Nexus for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim called "Interesting NPCs" looks to make encounters with the AI populace of Bethesda's RPG sequel less like being trapped by a bore at a cocktail party. This is a work in progress, and here's how it's described: "This is a project to add color and life to Skyrim through three dimensional NPCs. Each character is integrated into the world, with a backstory and an extensive dialogue tree to explore. Many of these characters are fully voiced by a talented team of over 50 voice actors. The dialogue choices allow you to role-play, providing humor and depth to each conversation. You can be a jerk or a jester, a white knight or an assassin, as the most important character is you." Thanks Batman via Kotaku.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

5. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 12:38 Creston

This mod has been out for quite awhile already, actually.

It IS pretty cool, though YMMV. I typically don't talk to many NPCs since I really don't care that they're having a tough life.

"yeah yeah, your husband died fighting a Giant. I got dragon souls to absorb, lady!"

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPC Mod Jan 8, 2013, 12:26 Hyatus

The mod isn't new, but it is pretty awesome(for the most part).  

3. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPD Mod Jan 8, 2013, 11:38 Jivaro

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 11:21:
When I play mmos I am always surprised by the fact that the devs do not build the game around that the fact that you are playing with other human beings. Maybe some day an mmo will be designed with this as the key consideration.

I suspect that from a design perspective the key word would be "reliability". As in the gamers themselves are not exactly known for it. Everything that is designed to rely on other gamers (guilds, auction houses, and PVP for example) becomes quite a bit less reliable then everything that doesn't (grinding quests, fast travel, npc merchants, etc).

The other key word would be "control". Every time you put the game in hands of the participants you inevitably give up quite a bit of control. Nothing has been the same since Lord British was killed. (joking, but I think you get my meaning)

Stockholders and publishers want control and reliability as part of the business model, for all the obvious reasons. Out of curiosity, what specific types of gameplay elements would you like to see changed to reflect a game design built around "playing with other humans"?

2. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPD Mod Jan 8, 2013, 11:21 Bill Borre

When I play mmos I am always surprised by the fact that the devs do not build the game around that the fact that you are playing with other human beings. Maybe some day an mmo will be designed with this as the key consideration.  

1. Re: Skyrim Interesting NPD Mod Jan 8, 2013, 09:26 eRe4s3r

Hehe, interesting typo there http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPD

Personally, I expected all NPC's to get random personalities and roles based on NPD meaning Narcissistic personality disorder.. but it seems this is not what this mod does

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo