Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I want to take this moment to wish Frans a very happy birthday, as I break with an unfortunate tradition and remember to do this on his actual birthday, rather than a day or two later. This gives me the opportunity to point out that Frans has remained vital to the operation of this site, serving as system administrator and tech guru, even though he also plies his trade elsewhere full-time. So, hearty huzza and kudos to our old friend, without whom you would not be reading these words! Happy Birthday Frans!

On a less significant note (for this site, at least), nin points out today is David Bowie's birthday, as he turns a startling 66, celebrating with new music that looks back at his experimental days with Eno in Berlin in the 1970s.

R.I.P.: ‘Snakes on a Plane’ director David R. Ellis dies at 60.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Double Win.
Links: 365 Supers.
Why The "Fake Geek Girl" Meme Needs To Die.
Stories: Al Roker Admits He Pooped His Pants At The White House. A shart tale.
Fish story lands in NC's high court, $1M on line.
Science: Mars Mission Could Turn Astronauts Into Couch Potatoes. Thanks Slashdot.
Astronauts Get Taller in Space. Tall couch potatoes.
Media: Darth Vader Can't Hear Too Well In That Helmet.
Ever See A Giant Lava Lake Collapse? Kilauea's Pu'ue.
Fastest Way to Drink Water. Thanks nin.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 17:03 nin

Blue wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 17:00:
Nadool wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 19:18:
LOL I don't know wtf is going on with my internet or if it's VideoSift or what, but when I clicked on both "Darth Vader Can't Hear..." and "Ever See A Giant Lava Lake..." it went to a crappily buffered 30 second ad and then I proceeded to get Rick Rolled (the entire video) for both clicks. Thought I'd share...

Isn't that how they deal with banned accounts there?

Whoops?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 17:00  Blue 

Nadool wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 19:18:
LOL I don't know wtf is going on with my internet or if it's VideoSift or what, but when I clicked on both "Darth Vader Can't Hear..." and "Ever See A Giant Lava Lake..." it went to a crappily buffered 30 second ad and then I proceeded to get Rick Rolled (the entire video) for both clicks. Thought I'd share...

Isn't that how they deal with banned accounts there?

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 15:16  Frans 

Thanks all.  

-- Frans

19. Why The "Fake Geek Girl" Meme Needs To Die. Jan 8, 2013, 22:25 jdreyer

Funny. And True.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 19:47 1badmf

good stuff man. too bad all we hear about are the bad apples in law. the dudes that actually serve to upload the law and civil society do their jobs quietly and nobody ever notices.

i can't stand power-tripping hobags (men and women) like yours that give no second thought to abusing their position, and then act vindictively when called out on it. it almost seems like everybody in power has caught that bug to some degree.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 19:18 Nadool

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 18:38 Cutter

Haha! No, it was talking on a cell phone while driving - which I wasn't anyway - and forgetting to renew my validation sticker. Anyway, due to institutional delays it was 20 months before my trial first came to court which was a default stay based on a right to trial within a reasonable time - known as 11b in Canada. Further, at this time I asked for a preliminary motion to stay the charges at that time which was denied to me - they said I couldn't do it, when in fact I could as I cited under the "Rules of Court" under the Courts of Justice Act. I then told the prosecutor if she didn't withdraw the charges that I would be filing a grievance with the law society that my right to a fair trial had been invalidated by procedural errors on the prosecutor's part - in short, she didn't know the law or was being disingenuous at best in order to try and coerce me into into a plea to a lesser charge. She disagreed and I told her 'Fine, we'll let the judge make a ruling on that.' So then she made me sat there until the end - getting her little jab in - before withdrawing the charges. It was pretty sweet.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 18:32 1badmf

nin wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 17:09:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 17:06:
What were you in court for Cutter?

He was accused of saying many games looked like crap. As apart of the settlement, he's now forced to play Sleeping Dogs, one of the games he described as such.

And he likes it.

hah! no, but seriously what'd he do? i have a soft spot for people that stick it to the man using His own laws.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 17:09 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 17:06:

He was accused of saying many games looked like crap. As apart of the settlement, he's now forced to play Sleeping Dogs, one of the games he described as such.

And he likes it.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 17:06 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 15:47 Cutter

Woo! Victory is mine! 2.5 years in court and I finally get my charges stayed. The cop and the judge were duly impressed and suggested I go into law. The prosecutor was a bitch - I've dealt with her before. Made me wait for 2 hours until every other case had been dealt with before bringing me up to finally withdraw the charges. I was so stoked I almost gave a Dredd like shout of "I AM THE LAW!" in the courtroom. Figured that might not go over so big though so I just gave her a smirk instead.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 15:21 Hoop

I have to confess I shit myself laughing so hard reading about Al Roker at the White House. It's ok I was home alone & have had a shower, I guess it's karma or something & serves me right.  

Um .. Behind you...

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 14:43 The Half Elf

Happy Birthday Frans, and thank you for your years of work on this site!  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 14:27 bhcompy

RIP Huell Howser, too.  

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 14:01 NegaDeath

Lol
"AIG Inc, the insurer rescued by the U.S. government in 2008 with a bailout that ultimately totaled $182 billion, may now join a lawsuit against the government alleging the terms of the deal were unfair."

There are no words.

7. ‘Snakes on a Plane’ director David R. Ellis dies at 60. Jan 8, 2013, 13:23 Fantaz

Cause of death: snake bite?  

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 12:43 Creston

Happy birthday, Frans!

Happy Birthday, Bowie, you freaky old bastard, you!

Creston

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 12:28 Cutter

It's also Elvis' birthday so Frans is in good company.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 8, 2013, 11:49 shul

Happy BD Frans!!  

3. Re: Mars Mission Jan 8, 2013, 11:37 sauron

Shok wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 10:20:
Instead, he spent his spare time playing the video game Counter-Strike. "It really helped me get through that," Charles remembers.

They simulated the delay when talking to Earth but I guess they didn't increase ping times for a spaceship traveling to Mars though

Or maybe he was playing against bots?

If you put an alliance of hardcore WoW players on a spaceship and flew them to Mars and back for a year and a half while maintaining an internet connection, would they even notice?

Would anyone else notice?

Kittens!

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo