Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

THQ Asset Auction January 22nd

The promised update on Distressed Debt Investing has the latest on efforts to liquidate the intellectual property assets of bankrupt THQ following questions that emerged last week about the proceedings. The latest is that properties will be sold off at auction individually on January 22nd, contradicting previous indications they would be sold as a bundle.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 8, 2013, 17:36 KilrathiAce

This could truly violate how and what kind of games Relic makes, especially if someone like EA or UBI buys Relic.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 8, 2013, 08:21 Kajetan

InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 03:50:
All the joking aside, isnt anyone the least bit saddened that we are losing yet another big publisher which in turn will allow Activision and EA to grow even more, or even worse that talented and quality developers like Volition and Relic are going to get flushed to god knows where???
Times are changing. Market conditions are changing. Publishers arent the only source of games anymore. Last time i was sad when my favourite gaming company went down, was with Microprose.

Would i miss another new Homeworld or new W40K game? Sure, of course. But its not important. Not enough to worry about.

16. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 8, 2013, 05:45 netnerd85

InBlack wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 03:50:
All the joking aside, isnt anyone the least bit saddened that we are losing yet another big publisher which in turn will allow Activision and EA to grow even more, or even worse that talented and quality developers like Volition and Relic are going to get flushed to god knows where???

I know I am.
Yes, definitely. I loved the original Red Faction and have a huge arse poster of it in my "computer room". Spent many a day in the RED editor working away. I've really enjoyed the Saints Row series, playing it COOP with my partner, very funny/fun to play.

Metro 2033 was awesome.

15. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 8, 2013, 04:01 spindoctor

nin wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 22:53:
I worry the same about SR4. What's to stop someone from buying the IP and abandoning the devs and the work done so far, in favor of starting from scratch with their own angle?

This would not be cost effective at all. Not to mention the only appeal that the Saints Row brand has is that it's an over the top GTA type game. Changing it into something else would be counter productive to the bottom line.

Also, it's worth remembering that Saints Row 3 was going to have a stand alone expansion which was canceled and presumably all the work done on it was going to be rolled into Saints Row 4. I wouldn't expect amazing new things from SR4 as a result. They're almost certainly using the same technology and quite possibly the same city as well. In short, I'm expecting SR4 to be SR3.5 with a lot of content and technology already done. No one would take up the cost of abandoning all that to start from scratch.

Some of the most miserable and unhappy gamers on the planet are at Bluesnews

14. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 8, 2013, 03:50 InBlack

I know I am.

I have a nifty blue line!

13. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 8, 2013, 02:37 The Half Elf

Dead or alive you're coming with me.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 8, 2013, 01:45 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 01:42:
"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Your move, creep.

11. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 8, 2013, 01:42 Cutter

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

10. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 8, 2013, 00:53 Tanto Edge

Can I buy the Evil Dead license?
I've got five dollars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

9. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 8, 2013, 00:51 Fantaz

Valve should buy Relic...  

8. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 8, 2013, 00:11 Gas Bandit

We need to form a squad to guard the entrance of the auction with truncheons, making sure to keep EA out. Maybe Activision, too.  

7. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 7, 2013, 23:23 The Half Elf

I got 10 bucks for Volition and 10 bucks for Relic, anyone else we need to save from the Auction?

What about a Kickstarter?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

6. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 7, 2013, 23:09 Creston

Sucks that it's held on the 22nd. If they held it on February 8th, we could get a Kickstarter going to buy some of their IP.

Creston

5. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 7, 2013, 22:53 nin

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 22:48:
Guess we'll never see that Homeworld 3 sequel they vaguely hinted at last year.

I worry the same about SR4. What's to stop someone from buying the IP and abandoning the devs and the work done so far, in favor of starting from scratch with their own angle?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 7, 2013, 22:48 Burrito of Peace

Guess we'll never see that Homeworld 3 sequel they vaguely hinted at last year.

3. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 7, 2013, 22:02 Yosemite Sam

So who's gonna scoop up Relic. I'd like to see 2K pick them up, but I'm afraid it'll be either EA or Activision.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

2. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 7, 2013, 21:23 zombiefan

Maybe they could put their games on sale again before the 22nd. You know, one last gulp of air before they go down for good.

Nah...they're dead. Good riddance.

1. Re: THQ Asset Auction January 22nd Jan 7, 2013, 21:01 Frijoles

Maybe if we all chip in we can get one. I've got $5.  

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo