Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 8, 2013, 15:03 ASeven

Verno wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 08:38:
avianflu wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 08:34:
chart is bogus -- it doesnt look like software profits for mega-things like Halo (plus all the related merch) are included in that chart. Or sales of XBOX LIVE. sales of the kinect and other hardware accessories, etc.

Something tells me MS did fine with the 360 overall

It's a basic comparison of the whole E&D division which included hardware and software last time I checked.

This. Chart is surprisingly accurate in fact.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 8, 2013, 08:38 Verno

avianflu wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 08:34:
chart is bogus -- it doesnt look like software profits for mega-things like Halo (plus all the related merch) are included in that chart. Or sales of XBOX LIVE. sales of the kinect and other hardware accessories, etc.

It's a basic comparison of the whole E&D division which included hardware and software last time I checked.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 8, 2013, 08:34 avianflu

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 8, 2013, 06:26 Julio

They can afford it, with how Windows 8 is taking off and making more money than Windows 7 ever did (sarcasm).  

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 8, 2013, 00:51 Dev

Hilariously, they lost something like $3b or $4b all told on xbox 1 over its entire lifetime before 360 came out. That is AFTER including all licensing and game profits (such as the halo games)
If you add up profit/loss from that division from each financial, you can get the numbers.

MS just counted that as the cost of entering the market. I mean they make that much in pure cash profit every quarter or two.

But now they've lost money on the 360 over its lifetime as well? I didn't bother to add up those numbers and financials since I thought they were finally making the system profitable over its lifetime when you combined the numbers. LOL

Sounds like everyone else is making money on consoles except the console makers.

Hey I have an idea, lets go release another one, a sucky xbox 720, and lose some more money! Yeah thats a brilliant plan MS.

Edit: Looks like they are including some years for the xbox 1 as well. So its possible that they have made an overall profit on the 360 if you start counting in 2006 (year 360 came out). They had big losses in 2006 and 2007, but I dont know if the profits since then have made up for it.

This comment was edited on Jan 8, 2013, 02:10.

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 23:32 NegaDeath

Cutter wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 23:08:
Ballmer is such an incredible fuckup it boggles the mind he's lasted this long.

He remembered developers but apparently forgot profit. At this point its safe to say Windows 7 turning out as well as it did under his watch was a godamned miracle.

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 23:14 Creston

A lot of that was for the original Xbox, and for the RRoD fiasco. The 360 itself has been profitable for about a year and a half now, IIRC, and Kinect makes them a lot of money. And they have gotten a nice chunk of market share.

It's debatable whether all of that was worth it, but losing "only" 3 billion in 10 years is just about the best result that Balmer has produced.

Creston

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 23:08 Cutter

Kitkoan wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 21:03:
Does this take into consideration the amounts lost from the Windows sales?

More and more people aren't buying Windows because honestly, why? They have their XBox for games and everything else can be done on their other devices. I still feel that the XBox was a poor business move on MS part

Probably not. Imagine if they have never gone the console route but decided to increase PC presence and make PC gaming and entertainment the dominant platform. They wouldn't have had to waste a nickel on hardware and they would be dominating hard right now. Ballmer is such an incredible fuckup it boggles the mind he's lasted this long.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 22:03 DangerDog

That RT surface tablet will also be a loss for MS, it's their next zune fiasco.  

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 21:46 Prez

Great plan abandoning the PC!  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 21:35 Cyanotetyphas

Its not cheap to force yourself into marketshare. Still not sure how they get their users to pay for Live. Whoever masterminded that must have been the same guy that got the Europeans to charge money for public restrooms.  

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 21:31 Verno

Reikon wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 21:26:
Not bothering to read the clickbait article, but MS' "Xbox" division includes their phones too, which is the real money loser. Xbox is the thing that's keeping that division from performing even worse.

Sure but they had pretty massive R&D costs and huge expenses related to the RROD and etc. I'm pretty sure the 360 was losing money for a long time either way, I think the end of 2011 was when they confirmed they could sell the hardware at a profit finally after expenses.

It's been awhile since I bothered to look though so *shrug*. I think the division as a whole has been profitable since 2009 but I forget exactly what else they include in there.

It was probably a grand strategy back then, no one could have predicted we'd have cheap Android consoles, tablets, smartphones and etc all vying for living room attention.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2013, 21:38.

7. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 7, 2013, 21:27 HorrorScope

Gotta control the living room!  

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 21:26 Reikon

Not bothering to read the clickbait article, but MS' "Xbox" division includes their phones too, which is the real money loser. Xbox is the thing that's keeping that division from performing even worse.  

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 21:21 Verno

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 21:14:
So how exactly does Ben know how much money Microsoft and Sony has lost on their consoles? Does he have access to financial records that the rest of us don't have access to?

I'm not sure why people are so surprised, this has been known for a long time. Their financial statements are publicly accessible dude, you can google them and check it out. Corporations often don't include a lot of detail but they are required to disclose the basics and Microsoft does a divisional breakdown of revenues and expenses. There's some other products tied into the entertainment division but I forget the specifics.

There's been a fair amount of internal friction at Microsoft over their non-business initiatives since they've been losing so much money. The Xbox 360 only started making a profit a year ago IIRC. They spent billions trying to get into the living room and I'm not sure it's done a lot of good for their core revenue earners. What's worse is that they are still facing the same two competitors with large market share.

In Sony's case I think their Playstation stuff has been profitable for a few years now but they classify it with the TV division or something silly, I can't remember maybe someone else can clarify. Anyways, Sony's non-videogame stuff is whats hurting them right now, their core TV/etc businesses are stagnant. The Playstation is a big part of keeping them afloat.

Something tells me they have gained that back in licensing fees, etc.

Already included on their financials.

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2013, 21:28.

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 21:14 The Half Elf

So how exactly does Ben know how much money Microsoft and Sony has lost on their consoles? Does he have access to financial records that the rest of us don't have access to?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 21:04 MrRadicalEd

120% B.S.

someone is going to try and explain to me that Angry Birds Star Wars is going to compete with the next Call of Duty/Battlefield/Mario/MMO?

Accessibility is one thing, but that is as good as grabbing a candy bar like- anywhere. These portable device games are gonna all sweet and in a shiny wrapper, but beyond that? People are gonna want the graphics, the controller, the multilayer...

Aside from licensing deals, money can still be made within their own content delivery services- Xbox live and Playstation Network

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 21:03 Kitkoan

Does this take into consideration the amounts lost from the Windows sales?

More and more people aren't buying Windows because honestly, why? They have their XBox for games and everything else can be done on their other devices. I still feel that the XBox was a poor business move on MS part

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 7, 2013, 20:38 xXBatmanXx

Something tells me they have gained that back in licensing fees, etc.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo