Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

On Standalone DayZ DelayZ

The DayZ Blog has an update on the planned standalone game based on the popular Day Z modification for Arma II, Bohemia Interactive's military first-person shooter. Admitting defeat of the original plan to release the game before the end of 2012, the update discusses what they still have to work on before the game is done, saying they will release a closed test for 500-1000 testers "imminently," noting this "will be focused purely on architecture, not the game design." They say following the test they will reschedule the game's release. Thanks MajorD.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 8, 2013, 08:56 Orphic Resonance

DayZ needs more options for persistence, like character skill upgrades or ability bonuses or something like that... the more reasons to keep your player alive the more intense it will be  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 8, 2013, 07:17 TheVocalMinority

Quboid wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 19:41:
DangerDog wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 18:56:
Quboid wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 18:17:
I got Arma2:CO in the Christmas sales - what is up with the mouse movement? There seems to be mouse deceleration, the faster I try to turn the slower my character turns.

I know it's not a twitch shooter but if this is for realism then it's seriously misguided. You can still turn unrealistically fast by cranking up the sensitivity.

It's hard to put my finger on it but mouse handling seems deeply flawed. Is this just me?

Have you tried turning "aiming deadzone" all the way down? options->game options>aiming deadzone

turns off the "float" feeling you might be talking about.

I've done that. I've also played with the sensitivity settings in game (which is very hard to set, as turning speed is inversely proportional to mouse speed) and turned my Windows mouse settings down from low acceleration to none.

The only cfg hack I've found is to set (something like) GPU Frames Ahead to 1, which I've done. I think it reduced lag, but it didn't eliminate it and didn't affect the deceleration issue.

I've got the same issue, but it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the game immensely. Would be interested in a config setting to get rid of it though.

One thing that makes life a lot easier is that you have the ability in Arma2 to look around without moving your gun (I've got it set to toggle on my "last page" mouse button) and when you do this the slow down effect disappears. Kind of makes sense really it is just a bit unintuitive for those of us who grew up with Quake and the like.

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

21. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 8, 2013, 07:10 Dades

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 8, 2013, 02:32:
WarZ was supposed to have bases.

WarZ was supposed to have many things (RPG mechanics, larger maps, large player counts) but its a pretty big failure and doesn't. I don't think anyone cares if games are influenced by DayZ as long as they do a good job of it. State of Decay looks good, WarZ is not.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

20. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 8, 2013, 02:36 eRe4s3r

For that they'd have to build a new engine since crap physics and crap animations is what you get with the "Real Virtuality engine" Arma 1/2/3/Take On*** uses.

So this is not something DayZ can ever hope to fix.

19. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 8, 2013, 02:32 xXBatmanXx

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 23:07:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 21:59:
So, I see that everyone wants to jump on WarZ's ass, but what about State of Decay?

IT IS THE SAME EXACT GAME BEING DEVELOPED FOR CONSOLE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXTQhJEwR1Q

After playing a lot of DayZ and WarZ, they are the same game. Oh well, there are tons of cloned FPS out there. WarZ plays better, it doesn't have Arma bloat. DayZ deserves credit though.

I am hoping DayZ standalone works just as well or better than WarZ - now if they can just do something about the cheaters.....

Not really Batz. State of Decay (while a zombie survival game like DayZ and WarZ) is about getting all the survivors together, building a base, and if a character dies you still have other survivors you can play as.
Plus it looks a hell of alot better then WarZ and DayZ

WarZ was supposed to have bases. Also State of Decay is the first step, their next step is MMO.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

18. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 23:07 The Half Elf

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 21:59:
So, I see that everyone wants to jump on WarZ's ass, but what about State of Decay?

After playing a lot of DayZ and WarZ, they are the same game. Oh well, there are tons of cloned FPS out there. WarZ plays better, it doesn't have Arma bloat. DayZ deserves credit though.

I am hoping DayZ standalone works just as well or better than WarZ - now if they can just do something about the cheaters.....

Not really Batz. State of Decay (while a zombie survival game like DayZ and WarZ) is about getting all the survivors together, building a base, and if a character dies you still have other survivors you can play as.
Plus it looks a hell of alot better then WarZ and DayZ

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 22:18 DangerDog

Robert Bowling of Infinity Ward fame is making a zombie survival game too, human element.

still a ways off with a target release of 2015

16. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 22:05 Dades

That State of Decay video looks nothing like typical Day Z gameplay to me. I haven't played War Z but pretty much everyone seems to think its a shitty game, I don't really care whether its a clone or not.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

15. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 21:59 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

14. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 19:41 Quboid

DangerDog wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 18:56:
I got Arma2:CO in the Christmas sales - what is up with the mouse movement? There seems to be mouse deceleration, the faster I try to turn the slower my character turns.

I know it's not a twitch shooter but if this is for realism then it's seriously misguided. You can still turn unrealistically fast by cranking up the sensitivity.

It's hard to put my finger on it but mouse handling seems deeply flawed. Is this just me?

Have you tried turning "aiming deadzone" all the way down? options->game options>aiming deadzone

I've done that. I've also played with the sensitivity settings in game (which is very hard to set, as turning speed is inversely proportional to mouse speed) and turned my Windows mouse settings down from low acceleration to none.

The only cfg hack I've found is to set (something like) GPU Frames Ahead to 1, which I've done. I think it reduced lag, but it didn't eliminate it and didn't affect the deceleration issue.

- Quboid

13. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 19:40 Dmitri_M

born2expire wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 19:24:
Im really hoping the standalone takes a lot of the clunk out of arma's clunkyness.

Never happen. Their engine will not change in that respect. The controls are set in stone. The only that changes between game versions are incremental changes to the graphics engine. The underlying animation system which is what causes the "clunkyness" hasn't changed since the early 2000s. They tweak timings on the animations but the system itself is archaic and will likely never change.

12. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 19:24 born2expire

Im really hoping the standalone takes a lot of the clunk out of arma's clunkyness.

I just built a new pc and sadly my arma config didn't come over, that thing took me 2 weeks to fine tune just right, now I have to do it all over again, no thanks i'll wait for the standalone.

11. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 18:58 DangerDog

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 18:54:
The Half Elf wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 18:47:
Kinda hoping the stand alone DayZ would use the ARMA 3 engine.

I was, too. He talks about it in this blog post on the official site:

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/34430567933/whatever-you-say-it-is-it-isnt

oh crap, thought that's why they're delaying it. well they better do something about those crude gun handling and reloading animations.

10. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 18:56 DangerDog

9. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 18:54 jacobvandy

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 7, 2013, 18:47:

I was, too, but the way they're changing how the underlying mechanics work would not allow for that. Basically the ARMA engines are not at all a good fit for what a game like DayZ needs, the least of which is the processing overhead and client-side control that leads to most of the issues with performance and hacking. It is completely changing from a power-client + coordinating server setup to an MMO-like client/server arrangement. They're still improving the visuals, but they probably won't be quite on par with what ARMA 3 will be. He talks about it in this official blog post:

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/34430567933/whatever-you-say-it-is-it-isnt

This comment was edited on Jan 7, 2013, 19:02.

8. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 18:47 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 18:44 Frags4Fun

It's not just you. There are many threads which list config file tweaks for this. It can be fixed with those tweaks.

6. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 18:40 Kosh401

Hm strange, I haven't noticed any odd mouse behaviour in DayZ.

I'm fine with them taking their time and getting it right, and especially launching with a more updated/new Standalone rather than just a repackaged mod for sale.

I understand they want to release for cheap and keep adding to it over time ala minecraft, but IMO that starting package has to be a big enough step up from the mod to be worth the price again (as many of us bought Arma II to be able to play the mod, which yes is free - still you get the point).

I think the extra dev time is also a good idea given the WarZ fiasco.

5. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 18:17 Quboid

- Quboid

4. Re: On Standalone DayZ DelayZ Jan 7, 2013, 18:11 DangerDog

I'm glad they're not just repacking the day z mod with the existing arma II tech for a quick cash in.

sucks that they still haven't freed those two devs

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo